PDA

View Full Version : Highland Council.

cuddlepop
02-Feb-07, 18:15
Now I know Arthur McCourt made the decision to restructure Highland Council staffing levels but why is he retiring in July of this year and not staying on to see if it through and tweak about if required.
There are also two directors post advertised for this area. I for one am becomming increasingly concerned by the ability to deliver what we pay or council tax for. It appears that a lack of leadership is evident and I sincerely hope that a successor is appointed prior to Mr McCourts' departure.
The situation doesn't exactly install confidence in the authority from the public perspective:( Mind you a directors post is a cool 90k might go for the biggy myself.;)

Cattach
02-Feb-07, 19:22
Now I know Arthur McCourt made the decision to restructure Highland Council staffing levels but why is he retiring in July of this year and not staying on to see if it through and tweak about if required.
There are also two directors post advertised for this area. I for one am becomming increasingly concerned by the ability to deliver what we pay or council tax for. It appears that a lack of leadership is evident and I sincerely hope that a successor is appointed prior to Mr McCourts' departure.
The situation doesn't exactly install confidence in the authority from the public perspective:( Mind you a directors post is a cool 90k might go for the biggy myself.;)

At each restructuring, and there have been a few of one sort or another, there have been promises of saving in jobs. However, existing directors or their equivalent, have been given sideways or downward moves at conserved salaries and new people appointed to similar jobs with different titles. There have been no real savings. We as council tax payers are paying for an eve increasing Invess lead buraucracy.

Errogie
02-Feb-07, 22:31
If the Government and Scottish Executive would just stop passing more and more badly drafted legislation with attendant complexities for everything from the planning application process to consumer protection, to child welfare and education then officials might be able to catch up and deliver a half decent service.

But when you combine that with inadequate funding and continual efforts to reduce staff and effect more savings the so called leaner and slicker machine simply breaks down or the staff go off long term sick.

Proportional representation, new ward boundaries eliminating the last trace of the old countys, and the departure of many experienced councillors could well be a recipie for disaster. Interesting to see what we'll be left with in a year from now. "Forward though I canna see I hope and fear."

Can't say I blame Mr. McCourt for taking his pension at the earliest opportunity and high tailing it over the horizon.