PDA

View Full Version : Gows Engineering

the nomad
02-Feb-07, 09:15
Just heard on MFR this morning Gows are to close, with current rundown it's not a huge surprise but still very sad. More job losses in the County.

I hope they all get suitable employment elsewhere in Caithness, otherwise they'll all head for Aberdeen.

To the powers that be, wake up, yes we are getting reatial units in Wick and this is good but the county is still falling apart with Dounreay etc. Do something before it's too late.

scotsboy
02-Feb-07, 09:23
That is very sad news.

Is there ANY work actually going on at DOunreay just now - other than shuffling paper? It seems that all that the NDA have brought is yet more tiers of administration, preventig work from being done........can someone enlighten me as to what is going on at the Dounreay site?

BRIE
02-Feb-07, 11:25
its not closing its actually been bought out by a local man.

the nomad
02-Feb-07, 11:45
It was reported as 25 jobs to be lost and closing down. Leaned on fact that it was part of Orion Group which is quite a big organisation. I hope you are right no doubt it will be JGC or maybe even Lochshell Engineering LOL.

BRIE
02-Feb-07, 11:55
yes its just the orion group thats pulled out not sure about the job losses know people were being asked to stay on.no its neither JGC or LOCHSHELL thats bought it out dont like to say who it is as I dont know if they want it common knowledge yet.

Calder Engineering Ltd
02-Feb-07, 12:00
Just heard on MFR this morning Gows are to close, with current rundown it's not a huge surprise but still very sad. More job losses in the County.

I hope they all get suitable employment elsewhere in Caithness, otherwise they'll all head for Aberdeen.

To the powers that be, wake up, yes we are getting reatial units in Wick and this is good but the county is still falling apart with Dounreay etc. Do something before it's too late.

Hello Nomad
I'm not sure if these reports of closure are true or not. I would like to think that good tradesmen would not go short of work in Caithness at the moment.

dozy
02-Feb-07, 16:05
I would think that your statement says more about Calder Engineering that the availibility of skilled engineers.....

Penelope Pitstop
02-Feb-07, 16:54
Sad news, any threat of closure isn't good news for Caithness. I read in the paper today that Miller's pet shop may be closing?:~(

octane
03-Feb-07, 14:20
Im not reallly surprised to hear this but its still sad. This is what usually happens when you allow other companys to buy into your firm. They couldnt get there nose into dounreay as much as they hoped for so they just pull out, sell up and the local's are left to pick up the pieces.

Its probally getting hard for the engineering firms to get any work done in dounreay now as the budget is all swallowed up by overated management and paperwork at the plant which doesnt leave much in the coffers for the actual job to get done. As for the other firms supposedly buying up gows, i doubt it very much....there's strong rumors going about someone wanting to buy JGC but even then that has been circulating on and off for a few years now.

young
06-Feb-07, 14:24
Hello Nomad
I'm not sure if these reports of closure are true or not. I would like to think that good tradesmen would not go short of work in Caithness at the moment.

what work in caithness?? Even yourselves (calder engineering) are taking people down south (offshore)!!!!:confused

the nomad
08-Feb-07, 13:53
what work in caithness?? Even yourselves (calder engineering) are taking people down south (offshore)!!!!:confused

Your reply would suggest that I have a connection with Calder Engineering.

Fraid not.

young
08-Feb-07, 15:25
Your reply would suggest that I have a connection with Calder Engineering.

Fraid not.

i was not replying to your statement i was replying to calder engineering ltds post about the work in Caithness.