PDA

View Full Version : a giggle for parents of young kids

Ojibwa
01-Feb-07, 22:43
I saw this in a reader's digest aticle and thought it was funny and so true!

This advice will save you a lot of money :lol:

Forget all the modern toys, and electronic gadgets, here are the top 5 toys for kids.

1. A stick - Found in the park, comes in a variety of wood hues and is, ideally, a metre long. A stick can function as a dragon, to menace one's sibling, and can be rattled along a fence for hours of entertainment.

2. The Phone. A versatile object that rings and has buttons. The receiver can be picked up and put down again several times to miraculously end the ringing noise. The buttons can be puched time and time again to dial 999. The cord can be attached to the dog, and you can have endless conversations with granny and grandad. Recommended for kids 1 to 18.

3. Toilet Paper. Several uses : spit balls, fake breasts, Barbie bedding, bathtub experiments, sink blocker. The carboard tube also functions as a telescope, a phone, and a trumpet. The simple act of unfurling the roll all round the house and up and down the stairs will entertain kids for as long as it takes parents to notice.

4. Food. No toy beats mashed potato sculpting, cheerio scattering, or yogurt smearing. Accessories such as ketchup are sold seperately.

5. 99p shop stuff. Perfect, because the quality matches the attention span.

Other things guarenteed to keep them amused are your bottle of nail polish, dirt, the cat, a bag of flour and a spoon, or a garden hose and a bucket. :lol:

Enjoy!!!

Bobinovich
02-Feb-07, 00:10
Not forgetting...

The empty cardboard box which seems to delight the kids knowing that mom and dad spent £80 on the contents yet the box is far more fun to play with

and...

a saucepan/empty sweet tin and wooden/metal spoon any combination of which will have parents pulling their hair out post haste

Alice in Blunderland
02-Feb-07, 00:19
An empty washing basket makes a great boat and the pegs can make wonderfull snakes when all clipped together. My kids always loved to play with toothpaste and not in their mouth......

Mums makeup and shoes :roll:

Dads dressing gown makes a superheros cape :cool:

Alice in Blunderland
02-Feb-07, 00:23
Not forgetting...

The empty cardboard box which seems to delight the kids knowing that mom and dad spent £80 on the contents yet the box is far more fun to play with

Correct me if Im wrong but the feet sticking out of the 'empty box ' in your avatar look as though they could belong to Bobinovich and not kids [lol] ;)

BRIE
02-Feb-07, 11:31
a clothes airer & a sheet! I remember having hours of fun as a child making dens with them!
the tv controls my 10 month old finds this the best toy:lol:

Glenys Hirst
02-Feb-07, 12:47
....And when the weather is fine outside..old sheets or blankets put over a washing line makes great tents.

Woolie
02-Feb-07, 14:18
Talking about kids this is not wat they play with but wat they say. My son is 10 and the other day we were on the street i went to take his hand to cross the road just something us mums do whatever their age lol but he pulled a way and said "i have ti live in this town don't u know and u will ruin my street cred"" i ask u 10 yrs old was wondering if any of u had any funny things your kids had said or done love to hear them.

mccaugm
02-Feb-07, 15:28
My eldest was in church when he was around 6 or 7 I think. We were supposed to be singing "Hail Mary"....but all you could hear, clear as a bell was ..."HELP MARY - HELP MARY"..the priest could barely stiffle his giggles and the rest of the congregation were much the same.

My youngest (2) has a delightful habit, if he is engrossed in something on Cbeebies and you happen to walk in the room - you are chastised with "QUIET!" Where did he learn that from I wonder??:lol:

Woolie
02-Feb-07, 21:47
My eldest was in church when he was around 6 or 7 I think. We were supposed to be singing "Hail Mary"....but all you could hear, clear as a bell was ..."HELP MARY - HELP MARY"..the priest could barely stiffle his giggles and the rest of the congregation were much the same.

My youngest (2) has a delightful habit, if he is engrossed in something on Cbeebies and you happen to walk in the room - you are chastised with "QUIET!" Where did he learn that from I wonder??:lol:
lol remeber when my eldest was about 5 or 6 were in church and she piped up and asked out loud is this where god lives caused some laughs I can tell u.

candyfloss
02-Feb-07, 22:05
One day a few years ago i was having one of my senior moments and i could'nt remember if it was Tuesday or Wednesday, its Wednesday my 6 yr old informed me, i said are you sure, yes she said, it says so on my pants [lol][lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
02-Feb-07, 22:47
Remember reading that a toy company spent millions in developing a new toy that would change the way kids played.A group of five researchers was set up to see what this toy could be.Four of them found out through books that toys from the past though nostalgic went out of fashion very quickly.The fifth researcher went to a local primary school with different toys and let the kids go wild with them.Found out an hour later that this was going to be difficult for an answer.......the kids had ate all the toys.

kani
03-Feb-07, 00:26
A couple of weeks ago my daughter who's nearly 3 and myself were visiting granny, when she pipes up "Granny your fire is broken, it needs more rocks" Granny asked her to say it again and when she did we worked out that "rocks" were in fact coal. We were in stitches.
This reminded granny of when aunty Lynne was about the same age and she asked for a leg of the scorrie, we were in fact having chicken for lunch. Oh the things they say.

danc1ngwitch
03-Feb-07, 14:25
long gone are the days when we used to dig in the garden for worms to see which one was the biggest.
My little boy was finding worms and i leave him be. A lotta dirt never hurt me why would a little hurt him .. lol