PDA

View Full Version : Blizzards of 1978

Rainmaker2
12-Aug-13, 15:25
Hi all,
Bit of a long shot this. I'm currently in the process of creating a presentation on the Blizzards that affected much of the north at the end of January 1978, the storm when Billy Sutherland got stuck in the snow at the Ord. If anybody has any photos or indeed any recollections of it I'd be very grateful if you could get in touch with me.

Thanks,

Gavin

Lavenderblue2
12-Aug-13, 16:12
Not forgetting the three lives that were lost during that storm... Mr & Mrs Jim Bruce from Thurso and Mr Cameron from Dingwall.

Rainmaker2
12-Aug-13, 16:50
Sorry I forgot to include that.

Fran
13-Aug-13, 23:49
I remember that well, billy was my neighbour

Keyser_soze
17-Aug-13, 13:22
Mind the train , they were on the news gettin airlifted iirc. Train got stuck oot in the middle o nowhere

starfish
17-Aug-13, 13:27
try the library achvives

oag
17-Aug-13, 23:45
Hello.Billy was my next door neighbour,i can still remember the moment when my mum was told that they had found him alive as if it was yesterday,everyone had feared the worst.I can be contacted at the Norseman or Castletown hotel if you require the story behind it,i would be glad to help
Gordon

zenmaster
21-Aug-13, 09:21
Hello Gavin, you may already have this link describing the rescue operation: http://www.aircrew-saltire.org/lib202.htm
I have a P&J front page article and a short video recording from a BBC Scotland weather documentary with footage and interviews. PM me for details.
Stephen Bruce