PDA

View Full Version : The Big Ball to go?

scotsboy
01-Feb-07, 19:42
Surely never! But apparently the NDA have no plans to retain it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6320103.stm

The statement that
"The most prudent strategy radiologically is to arrange to dismantle it - to get rid of it." Seems rather strange to me, when coupled with
sphere is contaminated with tritium, which is said to be notoriously hard to clean up.........I may be wrong but the radiological half-life of tritium is about 12 years, the source of the tritium stopped over 25 years ago.....another couple of half-lives and it will be at de minimus levels i.e of no-radiological significance.

Of course it will be cheaper to pull the whole thing down - which I would have had a lot more respect for the NDA if they said.

I feel a Save the Ball campaign coming!!

webmannie
01-Feb-07, 19:53
Nah, float it round to The Thames and park it next to the Big Wheel and turn it into a tourist attraction. The Big Wheel and the Big Ball.

Bobbyian
01-Feb-07, 21:06
Give it to the nationaltrust they look after old buildings ???? don`t they

No seriously I think it can go but I can see also a save the ball campaign It meant a lot to people in the area in the 50`s / 60`s but on the other hand do we keep old Mining Buildings etc or eve Ship building for that matter.

johno
02-Feb-07, 22:38
if it can be gotten rid off ,get rid of it it,s an eyesore anyway [lol]

brokencross
03-Feb-07, 10:50
The Big Ball had other good uses; in the good old days before SatNav on ships took all the skill away, I used to take compass bearings of it and the Forss Radio mast to help navigate through the Firth.