PDA

View Full Version : Humourous Secret Memo to Homeguard- 1940s

Saveman
01-Feb-07, 15:47
http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/item/item_page.jsp?item_id=36260

I found this amusing....

Penelope Pitstop
01-Feb-07, 16:15
It is amusing.......Do you think they were all issued with troosers that were tooooo big or were they all skinny back then?? Can't you just picture them being "immobilised" with their troosers round their ankles making a run for it!!!!:lol:

Mind you my Mum used to always buy our clothes too big.......so we would grow into them.......still waiting!!!!!!!!

Saveman
01-Feb-07, 16:33
Apparently trousers never had elastic in them back then.....you had to rely on buttons, belts or braces....

Billy Boy
01-Feb-07, 17:46
Apparently trousers never had elastic in them back then.....you had to rely on buttons, belts or braces....

which wouldn't of been to handy if you were in combat and your braces broke:eek: lol i can just imagine pike of dads army fame running along and his braces going twang " you stupid boy" would be the word's i think :lol:

North Rhins
01-Feb-07, 17:57
Initially the Home Guard were called the LDV which stood for Local Defence Volunteer. Of course some said it stood for Look, Duck and Vanish! It’s hard to believe now that back then it was all in deadly earnest,

horse
01-Feb-07, 21:39
when i was a kid i used to have a tin helmit with FAP on it does any body know what this stands for. it was a black helmit

North Rhins
01-Feb-07, 21:44
when i was a kid i used to have a tin helmit with FAP on it does any body know what this stands for. it was a black helmit
Are you sure it wasn't 'ARP.' I think that stood for Air Raid Precautions.'

horse
01-Feb-07, 21:56
Are you sure it wasn't 'ARP.' I think that stood for Air Raid Precautions.'
no it was definatly FAP i can remember being told that it stood for fire auxiliary police it was a long time ago and i was quite young just wondered if someone knew if this is correct

Torvaig
01-Feb-07, 23:40
"Under no circumstances will Home Guardsmen remove anything from prisoners except arms"........ would this be to render them 'armless? :eek:

Buttercup
02-Feb-07, 00:18
http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/item/item_page.jsp?item_id=36260

I found this amusing....

Thanks for that link Saveman, I've just spent the whole evening going through all those "secret" documents (plus some of the not so secret ones). Very interesting. I was born some years after the war and with history at school only covering up to WW1 and parents/grandparents not mentioning very much about it we were pretty much left in the dark about local involvement in WW2. As a child we were brought up to "know" that if it wasn't talked about, you, as a child, didn't bring up the subject. :(