PDA

View Full Version : Border Collie Advice

kosacid
10-Aug-13, 16:31
I have a two year old male castrated border collie who has never been socialized with other dogs and is now barking and fluffing up at other dogs when out walking. he has a strong herding instinct and I am unsure if this is also playing a part in his behaviour. sometimes it feels like we have stopped the negative behaviour towards other dogs and then the next day we are back at step one. he is great around our other dog, cat and guinea pigs even the kids don't bother him any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

froal
14-Aug-13, 21:46
I can recommend a very good book on Canine Psychology to read which might help lots 'Think Dog' by John fisher :) You should try to get him to a training class or contact Dave Ashpool who will be able to help, And Socializing him will defo help with him & he will have a strong Herding instinct as he being a border collie has been bred to herd so if anything he'll need plenty to do Mentaly as well as Exercise, also look his his diet. Hope this helps...:)

kosacid
14-Aug-13, 22:58
I have him on a low protein diet and walk him a few miles a day, thing is he good around sheep and that take commands fine and that, but when it comes to other dog`s all hell is let lose, thing is some dogs he is fine with some get a quick snap to the face, I think they look at him the wrong way lol so sadly he is now muzzled, the way I look at it I only have 90% control of him I need that 100% so I think its a case of taking him to a trainer so I can get trained not the dog lol, I have had lurchers most of my life they are mostly laid back easy to train, I have one just now and she gets herded to death most of the time if he can keep up with her, I have that Dave number so ill fone next week and hopefully ill get some nice tip`s on how to train him better o and thanks for the help

froal
15-Aug-13, 20:21
Hi, No problems i'am sure dave ashpool will help you sort him for you...:)