PDA

View Full Version : Hands off our Rock

golach
09-Aug-13, 09:26
Well done the MoD Teach Spain that sabre rattling will not work
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defence/royal-navy-ships-will-visit-gibraltar-amid-tensions-with-spain-1-5369419

Kodiak
09-Aug-13, 12:32
I find it very interesting that Spain is anxious to get their hands on Gibraltar. I wonder if it has anything to with the fact that Spain has an exclave on the North African Coast Directly opposite Gibraltar, Ceuta. This would give Spain complete control over the narrow entrance to the Med. Very interesting indeed.

http://i.imgur.com/PJkUFIV.jpg

Alrock
10-Aug-13, 14:36
I find it very interesting that Spain is anxious to get their hands on Gibraltar. I wonder if it has anything to with the fact that Spain has an exclave on the North African Coast Directly opposite Gibraltar, Ceuta. This would give Spain complete control over the narrow entrance to the Med. Very interesting indeed.

Never knew that.... Maybe Spain should lead by example then & hand it over to Morocco before they start demanding Gibraltar back.

Fran
11-Aug-13, 00:12
Hope this is resolved as I'll be there next month

Rheghead
11-Aug-13, 19:02
This dispute is easily solved.

Britain to publically support Catalan and Basque independence and Portugal's claim to Ceuta.

ducati
11-Aug-13, 21:04
Or we could nuke Barcelona.

piratelassie
12-Aug-13, 00:27
Colonialism in the 21'st century, dear oh dear oh dear.

golach
12-Aug-13, 09:30
Colonialism in the 21'st century, dear oh dear oh dear.

"Gibraltarians rejected proposals for Spanish sovereignty in a 1967 refererendum and again in 2002. Under the Gibraltar constitution of 2006, Gibraltar governs its own affairs, though some powers, such as defence and foreign relations, remain the responsibility of the UK Government."

How is this colonialism? Maybe St Eck the mighty's referendum next year will decide if we will go the same way. The problem is that Spain is broke, Gibraltar is not.

Using your colonial argument a little further, what about the Orkney & Shetland islands? In 1468 Orkney and Shetland were pledged by Christian I in his capacity as king of Norway, for the payment of the dowry of his daughter Margaret, betrothed to James III of Scotland. Go on give them back to Norway then. Oh dear we cannot do that can we? All that oil revenue will be lost and where will Eck be then?

squidge
12-Aug-13, 10:40
It isnt colonialism, Piratelassie - golach is right the Gibraltarians have voted to reject Spanish sovreignty and therefore should be able to do so.

Im not sure how much I believe that the deployment of warships is to do with a planned excercise or simply a show of strength and I am not wholly comfortable with that at this stage. If tensions are running high then surely the last thing we should be doing is to send a big lad with a stick along. Britain and Spain are both members of the EU we should be able to sort this out without bringing in the heavies.

Phill
12-Aug-13, 11:08
Or we could nuke Barcelona.Bingo! What yer gonna do, post out yer garden shed reactor with a timing device?

The problem is that Spain is broke, Gibraltar is not.Just like Argentina. What better way to distract the public with a bit of faux sabre rattling.

George Brims
12-Aug-13, 21:09
I thought when I read the headline it would be about a different rock. The Irish are somewhat keen to not let the UK/an independent Scotland have all the oil around Rockall.

piratelassie
12-Aug-13, 22:13
How did Gibralter come under Brittish protection in the first place? Was it by ths sword perhaps?

golach
12-Aug-13, 22:26
How did Gibralter come under Brittish protection in the first place? Was it by ths sword perhaps?

The Treaty of Utrecht

Gronnuck
13-Aug-13, 13:49
I do wish people would drop the colonialism argument. It's in the past, the distant past. What really matters is the here and now. The people of Gibraltar, and the Falkland Islands have the right to self determination under International Law in accordance with the UN International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. Spain and Argentina should respect the rights of Gibraltarians and Falkland Islanders to choose themselves.
The truth is the majority of Spaniards have little interest in Gibraltar and recognise that what their government is doing is attempting to divert attention away from more pressing domestic economic and social problems.

piratelassie
13-Aug-13, 16:45
Even Boris Johnson is saying keep Your Spanish hands off our COLONY. Today's paper's.

Phill
13-Aug-13, 18:20
For what good reason would anyone want to pay attention to that blethering idiot! Boris Johnson talks crap, using his quotes as a point of debate are pretty futile.

golach
13-Aug-13, 18:45
For what good reason would anyone want to pay attention to that blethering idiot! Boris Johnson talks crap, using his quotes as a point of debate are pretty futile.

Here here, that man is as bad as Eck Salmond

Kenn
13-Aug-13, 23:32
Awww shucks I quite like Boris of the dishevelled hair and the antiquated bike, we need more eccentric politicians not less.

Kevin Milkins
18-Aug-13, 10:12
Awww shucks I quite like Boris of the dishevelled hair and the antiquated bike, we need more eccentric politicians not less.

I don't mind Boris, but he is a bit of a twit.

We drove down to Gibraltar in a camper van a few years ago and spent a few weeks at Conil which is a few miles up the road towards Cadiz.
Its a very popular shopping trip for Brits in that area because its just like Britain abroad with all the UK customs and shops, Morrison's being very well supported. We found that coming away from Gibraltar on one of many shopping trips a right pain in the backside because the Spanish boarder control were under instruction to inconvenience the Brits as much as possible.
On one occasion a guard tried to rip the lining down off the roof of the camper and it was only the dogs barking at him that led him to knock off.

golach
18-Aug-13, 11:39
a closing statement from Robert Hardman of the Mail, sums up Spain to me

" You only need to spend a few days, as I have this week, on both sides of the strait to realise Spain isn’t just in breach of both the letter and spirit of European law with its current harassment of Gibraltar. It’s also guilty of the most brazen double standards. In short, Spain wants to have its paella, eat it, get someone else to pay for it and thump anyone who argues."

piratelassie
19-Aug-13, 13:37
Oh these naughty naughty Spaniards

golach
19-Aug-13, 18:51
Oh these naughty naughty Spaniards

At last you agree its not the naughty British [lol]