PDA

View Full Version : Tam Dalyell

piratelassie
08-Aug-13, 13:41
I read that the former MP Tam Dalyell believes the only way to save the union is to abolish the Scottish Parliament. Obviously that's not going to happen. Why don't we all accept the inevitable and embrace a bright future and look after ourselves.

golach
08-Aug-13, 14:11
I read that the former MP Tam Dalyell believes the only way to save the union is to abolish the Scottish Parliament. Obviously that's not going to happen. Why don't we all accept the inevitable and embrace a bright future and look after ourselves.

Tam is a man of vision, pity there are not more like him

equusdriving
08-Aug-13, 14:12
Why don't we all accept the inevitable and embrace a bright future and look after ourselves.

finally you've seen sense, and dropped that ridiculous independence twaddle :)

sids
08-Aug-13, 17:20
I read that the former MP Tam Dalyell believes the only way to save the union is to abolish the Scottish Parliament. Obviously that's not going to happen.

It's happened before.

Humerous Vegetable
08-Aug-13, 18:21
Tam is a man of vision, pity there are not more like him

This sad old numptie used to be my MP about a million years ago and was showing signs of derangement even then. Not so demented that he couldn't do this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5330882/Tam-Delyell-claimed-18000-for-bookshelves-two-months-before-retiring-MPs-expenses.html
Your old Etonian, ex-guards officer "man of vision" was a Tory wearing a red rosette to make himself acceptable to the Labour heartland of West Lothian.

golach
08-Aug-13, 18:52
This sad old numptie used to be my MP about a million years ago and was showing signs of derangement even then. Not so demented that he couldn't do this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5330882/Tam-Delyell-claimed-18000-for-bookshelves-two-months-before-retiring-MPs-expenses.html
Your old Etonian, ex-guards officer "man of vision" was a Tory wearing a red rosette to make himself acceptable to the Labour heartland of West Lothian.

And your point? I would trust Tam before the lies we are getting from Eck, he is just a tartan tory

Oddquine
08-Aug-13, 20:51
It's happened before.

and if we vote NO it may well happen again.

While I'm not too keen on polls other than the actual vote, and am rather inclined to check out the politics of those in charge of polling companies if I can...everybody on the Union side tends to treat polls as gospel.....so I have decided to do the same with this one.

It was a Panelbase one...but as so few will check it out, I will reproduce questions and results......

Q: The three main anti-independence parties have said they’ll re-examine the devolution settlement in the event of a No vote in the referendum, and may consider passing more powers to the Scottish Parliament. Which, if any, of the following powers do you think SHOULD be devolved to Scotland in the event of a No vote? (Tick as many as apply.) Welfare (eg benefits, pensions and things like the so-called bedroom tax): 60%
Control of oil revenues: 53%
Taxation (eg income tax, corporation tax and VAT): 52%
Defence (eg Scottish regiments, jobs and the siting of nuclear weapons): 35%
There should be no new powers: 19%
I believe the Scottish Parliament’s powers should be REDUCED: 6%

Q: “Better Together” chairman Alistair Darling recently said “If you want anything more than a fairly minor change to the constitutional arrangement then at some point you are going to have to ask the rest of the UK, which means that all the parties in a general election would have to have in their manifesto what they would intend to do”. Which, if any, of the following powers do you believe the UK Parliament would be LIKELY to devolve to Scotland in the event of a No vote? (Tick as many as apply.)
Welfare (eg benefits, pensions and things like the so-called bedroom tax): 21%
Taxation (eg income tax, corporation tax and VAT): 14%
Control of oil revenues: 8%
Defence (eg Scottish regiments, jobs and the siting of nuclear weapons): 7%
None of the above: 48%
I believe they will REDUCE the powers of the Scottish Parliament: 19%

Q: If Scotland was currently an independent country, would you vote to surrender control of taxation, welfare, defence and oil revenues in order to join the Union? ———————————————————————————————
Yes: 18%
No: 55%
Don’t Know: 28%

Now given the fact that Michael Kelly (who he?...surely not the numpty who helped get Celtic to the verge of bankruptcy?) says After years of boring us to death with the West Lothian Question, Tam Dalyell comes up with a much blunter assertion – that the promises of the No campaign to deliver more powers in the event of their winning the vote is the way to continue the break-up of the United Kingdom.

I am with him on this one. Leaving aside the false hopes of many of its advocates that devolution would kill nationalism – Donald Dewar and George Robertson for two – this is an all-or-nothing vote on independence. When Yes loses, as it will, its supporters should not be awarded the consolation prize of additional powers for Holyrood.

Along with Ruth Davidson's line in the sand comment re the Scotland Act 2012..and the record of Tory governments on keeping promises to Scotland (as in 1979..vote no and we'll give you something better......Yeah...right!), I am gobsmacked that so few Scots are going with the "vote No and get nothing....and maybe even lose what you already have". options.

sids
08-Aug-13, 22:51
and if we vote NO it may well happen again.

Is that a promise?

Oddquine
09-Aug-13, 04:03
Is that a promise?

Why troll? If you have nothing to say why say anything?

Bear in mind.that whatever you think...the majority of Scots who voted in 2011 voted for a Political Party which could not be remotely considered Unionist.......but could definitely be considered as Scottish ....and Scotland/Scottish people oriented.......in spades. Why do you think that was....maybe because we have come to the conclusion that the UK Government does not meet any of our aspirations not to be the last UK colony......and not quite on a par with London as a Region of the UK?

One of these days....and believe me I am not holding my breath.....someone pro-Union on this forum will come up with a reason to continue in the Union........one good reason would do to engender discussion. As it is what we get on here. regardless of what we say..............is crap on the same lines as what I have quoted on this post.

You would do the Unionist cause less harm if you, and others, kept your mouths shut until you had something almost sensible to say..and I'm not holding my breath waiting for that either.

equusdriving
09-Aug-13, 09:55
You would do the Unionist cause less harm if you, and others, kept your mouths shut until you had something almost sensible to say.

even taking that into account, the no vote is slaughtering the yes vote in polls, could that be because the majority of the good people of Scotland are not as naive and gullible as you :lol::lol::lol:

sids
09-Aug-13, 11:13

Give me credit: I can say "nothing" in many fewer words than you.

sids
09-Aug-13, 11:16
the no vote is slaughtering the yes vote in polls

And the more that happens, the more boneheaded threads like this will appear in any forum that will have them.

golach
09-Aug-13, 14:41

Bear in mind.that whatever you think...the majority of Scots who voted in 2011 voted for a Political Party which could not be remotely considered Unionist.......but could definitely be considered as Scottish ....and Scotland/Scottish people oriented.......in spades. Why do you think that was....maybe because we have come to the conclusion that the UK Government does not meet any of our aspirations not to be the last UK colony......and not quite on a par with London as a Region of the UK?

One of these days....and believe me I am not holding my breath.....someone pro-Union on this forum will come up with a reason to continue in the Union........one good reason would do to engender discussion. As it is what we get on here. regardless of what we say..............is crap on the same lines as what I have quoted on this post.

You would do the Unionist cause less harm if you, and others, kept your mouths shut until you had something almost sensible to say..and I'm not holding my breath waiting for that either.

Sids talks more sense in 4 words, than the diatribe you spew out. IMHO of course