PDA

View Full Version : There's a lot to be positive about Wick !!

Alice in Blunderland
07-Aug-13, 20:49
Come on folks let's list the positives of Wick. How do you see this place going over the next five to ten years. What will our town centre look like or how can we help To improve it.

jacko
07-Aug-13, 21:13
Come on folks let's list the positives of Wick. How do you see this place going over the next five to ten years. What will our town centre look like or how can we help To improve it.

knock down the old cinema & that building at the camps for a start. and flattening all the ruins in lower poultney would do a lot for the appearance of the town.

Shaggy
07-Aug-13, 21:28
Jacko, surely you mean "knock down everything BETWEEN the old cinema AND the camps" ?? as for Pulteney ruins (isn't everything ruined over that side?) put a big bulldozer on old wick road with a very wide blade, fire it up and let it rumble...

Wick in five years

ducati
07-Aug-13, 21:48
Will be a nice new council office.

Shaggy
07-Aug-13, 21:52
Dunno Ducati, what with all the vibrations from the hammering and breaking of the rock on the site this last few weeks, it's a wonder the nearby buildings are still standing :lol:

porshiepoo
07-Aug-13, 22:13
Positives? Of Wick???? Hmmmmm, well there's you know and thingy and it's always pleasant over by the wotsit.
Seriously though I love Wick (probably because I don't live in it) but it's going downhill fast and it's such a shame. It has facilities such as the harbour, the airport, a college etc and yet some idiot thought it a good idea to encourage retail outlets at either end of the town - what the heck did they think was going to happen to the middle of Wick once nobody HAS to go there to get their shopping?
Oh my mistake the council have spent a hefty budget on updating their flippin offices into some high spec monstrosity - funny how average Joe Bloggs would never have gotten permission to tear something like that old building down. Maybe they think a fancy schmany office will drag nebbing locals in to the centre of town for a looksee, having a cuppa at Morags while they're there and they regard that as doing their bit for the locals.
Wick is full of historical buildings that would benefit the area if they were upgraded or at least cleaned up and we need some kind of incentive to bring a more diverse range of outlets into the empty buildings in the area - other than charity shops of course, unless they're regulated to the point where they can't charge extortionate rates for gifted goods.

TBH I don't think there'll be much change sadly. Maybe if the airport is upgraded we'll be more accessible to the rest of the UK which would have a positive impact on the economy but there's always a downside because it'll have a negative impact on our roads. Guess we can't have it all so we'll just have to settle for what we have!

luskentyre
07-Aug-13, 23:59
It has facilities such as the harbour, the airport, a college etc

There is no college. There used to be a "college" which consisted of just two classrooms but now serves as an admin building with no teaching at all. Enrolment nights at Wick College used to have people queuing around the block which shows there is/was a demand. Very sad...

Iffy
08-Aug-13, 00:02
Positives? Of Wick???? Hmmmmm, well there's you know and thingy and it's always pleasant over by the wotsit.
Seriously though I love Wick (probably because I don't live in it) but it's going downhill fast and it's such a shame. It has facilities such as the harbour, the airport, a college etc and yet some idiot thought it a good idea to encourage retail outlets at either end of the town - what the heck did they think was going to happen to the middle of Wick once nobody HAS to go there to get their shopping?
Oh my mistake the council have spent a hefty budget on updating their flippin offices into some high spec monstrosity - funny how average Joe Bloggs would never have gotten permission to tear something like that old building down. Maybe they think a fancy schmany office will drag nebbing locals in to the centre of town for a looksee, having a cuppa at Morags while they're there and they regard that as doing their bit for the locals.
Wick is full of historical buildings that would benefit the area if they were upgraded or at least cleaned up and we need some kind of incentive to bring a more diverse range of outlets into the empty buildings in the area - other than charity shops of course, unless they're regulated to the point where they can't charge extortionate rates for gifted goods.

TBH I don't think there'll be much change sadly. Maybe if the airport is upgraded we'll be more accessible to the rest of the UK which would have a positive impact on the economy but there's always a downside because it'll have a negative impact on our roads. Guess we can't have it all so we'll just have to settle for what we have!

And that's it in a nutshell . . . well said porshiepoo !! So sad; but so very true :( :( !!