PDA

View Full Version : How to get a gig at Redwood/Skins?

colin stoner
31-Jan-07, 19:10
does anyone have any idea how to get a band to play at either venues in april/may time?

zebedy
31-Jan-07, 19:12
redwood is a case of booking it

skins is a case of being asked

Gleber2
31-Jan-07, 19:38
redwood is a case of booking it

skins is a case of being asked
The Redwood no longer exists as such. A different situation when it re-opens in February.

colin stoner
31-Jan-07, 23:05
rite so we just ask at redwood?

the_big_mac
01-Feb-07, 09:53
does anyone have any idea how to get a band to play at either venues in april/may time?

You can ask for a gig in skins. The only difference being you WILL need to be able to play to the most mixed crowd on this planet.

You could have Machine Head playing in there and some stupid woman would still ask for a cover of the gambler [evil] !

moncur
01-Feb-07, 14:45
Not too sure if the redwood is still getting renovated if a now.

Try The Newmarket instead tho. Good crowd who appreciate music there. plus its far easier to set up there than the redwood.

Jeid
01-Feb-07, 14:47
Nothing wrong with a bit of hard work though eh?

It's part of the fun... or is it only me that thinks that?

moncur
01-Feb-07, 14:52
Nothing wrong with a bit of hard work though eh?

It's part of the fun... or is it only me that thinks that?

I enjoy it too but was meaning in terms of having to get a big enough PA, Lighting etc organised. This is only a young band so they might not have the resources so readily available. This is why i suggested playing the newmarket cos u dont need a big rig for playing there.

Jeid
01-Feb-07, 15:06
I get what you're saying yeah.

Would they be allowed to play there since it's a licensed premises? Not too sure on the rules surrounding that.

moncur
01-Feb-07, 16:02

Would they be allowed to play there since it's a licensed premises? Not too sure on the rules surrounding that.

shouldn't be a problem. One of the drummers from Storm was only 15/16 and was touring round pubs and clubs all over the country on weekends. That included the newmarket. But prob best to ask just in case. Also, cyanide played lots of pubs with underage band members.

buggyracer
01-Feb-07, 16:20
shouldn't be a problem. One of the drummers from Storm was only 15/16 and was touring round pubs and clubs all over the country on weekends. That included the newmarket. But prob best to ask just in case. Also, cyanide played lots of pubs with underage band members.

i think as long as a parent or guardian is present it is ok.

ruins said band mambers street cred but?

zebedy
01-Feb-07, 17:04
if colin stoner is who i think it is, I dont think you will be able to pull a gig by ureselfs because of ure age

moncur
01-Feb-07, 17:13
if colin stoner is who i think it is, I dont think you will be able to pull a gig by ureselfs because of ure age

ooooh ageism!
At least they're trying.
If you need a hand with anything just put a shout on the org. im sure someone will help

zebedy
01-Feb-07, 17:23
that wasnt me tryin to put the guys down in anyway sir moncur,

when i started giggin when i was 12 around pubs, it did come into the fact that i was the baby in the band and under age.

( yeah well sum of them were the same age but looked older lol )

I dont think it matters really these days, but when i was with cyanide giggin around a few pubs here and there, my folks were always with me.

sayin that ive grown a fair bitty since i started this giggin malarky which i love! lol

moncur
01-Feb-07, 17:49
aye, might be a good idea just to ask some slightly older bands if u can support them at gigs. U wont have to play a full 3 hour set and ul get some exposure and experience playing in an enviroment outside the school. Mind you, u prob wont get paid very much. Heck, Duress got paid £50 between the whole band for playing at our last gig!

theboss
01-Feb-07, 21:32

I remember being ushered into a smokey Coral lounge by Brian Dodds and Gary Strachan at the age of 14. It was only our second gig as New Experience and a fight broke out right in front of us. Ahhh, those were the days...

Anyway, aye. You should be fine for playing licensed premises.

K dragon
01-Feb-07, 21:54
anybody know when redwood or whatever its going to be called...reopens.

im very eager to see it.

i hope isla knows that music goes down well in market so maybe she decided to install a decent stage area in the new place.

colin stoner
01-Feb-07, 22:24
well if 'zebedy' is who i think it is, then yeh the oldest of our band Nemesis is the singer and he's 17? (i think)
then we're 16 and the drummer is 14

yeh i guess that when we get to play a gig at skins/redwood, we'll get an older band and we'll support them. but we'd probably be blown off the stage by them!

"You guys line up alphabetically by height"
Tom Anderson, baseball coach

Tubthumper
01-Feb-07, 22:33
I remember being ushered into a smokey Coral lounge by Brian Dodds and Gary Strachan at the age of 14. It was only our second gig as New Experience and a fight broke out right in front of us. Ahhh, those were the days...

I think that's a disgrace, don't you understand that your whole life has been corrupted by the action of those terrible people?

theboss
01-Feb-07, 22:34
well if 'zebedy' is who i think it is, then yeh the oldest of our band Nemesis is the singer and he's 17? (i think)
then we're 16 and the drummer is 14

yeh i guess that when we get to play a gig at skins/redwood, we'll get an older band and we'll support them. but we'd probably be blown off the stage by them!

"You guys line up alphabetically by height"
Tom Anderson, baseball coach

Playing with bands with more experience than you is part and parcel of the lerarning process. Don't see it as them blowing you off the stage, see it as a way of learning to become a better band (and always go on with the attitude that you'll blow THEM off the stage)

theboss
01-Feb-07, 22:36
I think that's a disgrace, don't you understand that your whole life has been corrupted by the action of those terrible people?

Well one of the guys was ok, the other... hmmm... not so much. I'm sure you know who i'm talking about Tubthumber!

P.S How's your brother James these days? Still playing with that band, what were they called again... Metallica?

Tubthumper
01-Feb-07, 23:35
James is doing fine, we all advised him against a career in music but would he listen? Still he's improved since he had a haircut and shave.

Jeid
02-Feb-07, 02:14
You could have Machine Head playing in there and some stupid woman would still ask for a cover of the gambler [evil] !

I'm currently listening to their new album :D

the_big_mac
02-Feb-07, 10:06
I'm currently listening to their new album :D

Where have u managed to find that!?

Jeid
02-Feb-07, 10:50
The wonders of the internet message boards!

midi2304
02-Feb-07, 17:06

Hellfire, I mind drinking in the Coral wi Craig and Alistair and that lot when I was 16. That seems forever ago now.

We used to do karaoke and they would shout us over by announcing 'Here are the underagers wi....!'.

moncur
02-Feb-07, 17:34
Hellfire, I mind drinking in the Coral wi Craig and Alistair and that lot when I was 16. That seems forever ago now.

We used to do karaoke and they would shout us over by announcing 'Here are the underagers wi....!'.

What did u sing at karaoke? 'Common People' by Pulp? lol im never gonna let u forget about that one!

foreveruntitled
02-Feb-07, 17:53
We played in pubs quite a lot last year and all of us are underage, our singer looks about 10. I dont think it really matters.

midi2304
02-Feb-07, 18:13
What did u sing at karaoke? 'Common People' by Pulp? lol im never gonna let u forget about that one!

Seriously dude, grow up and get some new stories.

Chobbersjnr
02-Feb-07, 19:50

LOL that told ye Moncur

Jeid
03-Feb-07, 10:53

Touchy touchy!

moncur
03-Feb-07, 18:07
Touchy touchy!

Here biy! there'll be none o that goin on here! strictly music chit chat here!