PDA

View Full Version : Calling Bengal Cat Owners! Advice please xx

SunnyChick
05-Aug-13, 17:02
Please can you tell me a bit about your experience as an owner of a bengal cat?

Are they as easy to train as websites such as youtube, wikipedia and the like would have me believe?

Is it possible for them to adapt to car travel with practise? (My last cat used to cry a lot and then leak from both ends in the car - too gross!)

And, lastly, but pretty importantly..... can anyone recommend a good bengal cat breeder in Scotland?

Help and advice much appreciated.

exothermic
07-Aug-13, 23:33
I had a Bengal male that was no problem to train. He enjoyed his hunting however. In the house this sometimes meant he practised by running up the curtains! When we lived in town he stole a cold half roast from our neighbour's kitchen and then proceeded to eat it in the tree at the bottom of their garden. Thankfully they saw the funny side. We moved to the countryside and he was in heaven with hunting rabbits. He occassionally brought parts inside the house..... bleh! He was not at all stand-offy and enjoyed atttention and being petted. If he had ever been taken frequently in the car, I think he would have liked the front passenger seat the best.
Good breeders are hard to find. I would always visit. Scot Ads usually has some kittens.
Best wishes :)

SunnyChick
08-Aug-13, 13:26
Thanks very much for your reply. :Razz

I'm thinking that this pet will need to be well exercised! Am planning to undertake a few minor renovations in my home to make a perfect cat den in my utility room with a cat flap leading to a large outdoor enclosure. Really like the idea of a pet that will interract and provide us with many laughs and affection.

Some have said to me that it'd be easier to just get a dog, but alas I'm allergic! (I prefer cats anyhow.) I think a happy travelling, playful, trick taught Bengal cat could be the very thing.

XX

aidipi
09-Aug-13, 17:59
I have a 6 year old male Bengal cat which I have had since he was a kitten. He
was absolutely no problem to train but will only use his litter tray and not go
outside!!! He never strays very far from home and it is only during the summer
months that he would like to stay out late!!

SunnyChick
10-Aug-13, 11:17
Aww, he sounds great. I can't wait to get one of my own! xx

froal
15-Aug-13, 20:24
Noticed your looking for a Bengal there is an advert in the P & J - www.gayzette-bengals.co.uk (http://www.gayzette-bengals.co.uk) they have kittens available just now....:)

ValandGeorge
16-Aug-13, 22:20
I have two Bengal girls, as adults they are much more chilled out, especially now we are in the countryside and they can go out and hunt. As kittens they can be a little kitty cruger: hiding behind things and taking out your ankles as you pass, going up the curtains, jumping in the shoŵer with you (yes, mine love water, have been known to go for a swim in the bath as kittens. Suggest you keep your toilet seats down!) However, they are easy to train and even taught our one girl to play fetch with sweetie wrappers. Good luck, and brace yourself for kitten madness.

SunnyChick
20-Aug-13, 20:48
Hey folks, Got my bengal babies at the weekend from Pauline and Frank at Gayzette. The kids and I are in love with them already.

Stunning little critters, one very bold and friendly boy age 3 moths, and one very demure and a bit shy female age 4 months. Indeed, they are quite mental, very playful, but the kids are helping burn off the energy a fair bit which is helping lol.

Simba is bold and confident, like a wee lion and he is total mischief - jumping into the bin and biting my toes occasionally, standing on the laptop when I'm trying to type!!!

Flick is simply stunning, she's slinky and she loves to chase the wee birdy on a stick toy and charge up and down the stairs! Won't really be picked up, but purrs when I'm near her.

Neither of them have shown any aggression or fear yet, although he cries every time he loses sight of her!