PDA

View Full Version : Cairngorm Doors

bobbyb
01-Aug-13, 14:25
Hi all,

I am looking to get a new front door for the house and thinking of Cairngorm for this. Has anyone on here got one from them? Are they worth the £1500 for the door and frame as one unit?

Thanks
Bobby

Thumper
01-Aug-13, 14:43
I have and trust me dont go there! Terrible doors that leak,freeze inside,mark badly amongst other things! I have had to replace my hall carpet twice because it was soaked from the door leaking x

aidipi
01-Aug-13, 15:02
I had my house built just over 2 years ago which was fitted wiuth caringorm windows and doors. i have had absolutely no problem with either and that includes the side door of the garage.

bobbyb
01-Aug-13, 15:39
Ah Thumper sorry to hear about the probs you have there. Is the door the one with built in frame or just the door on its own?

bobbyb
01-Aug-13, 15:56
What other company would you recommend for putting in a new door? I hear that sinclair windows is closing? is that true?

captain chaos
01-Aug-13, 16:50
No.... John Sinclair the owner is retiring so the business is up for sale.

Try Norscot, we have had a lot of windows and doors fitted and supplied by them and in 12 years had no problems

Iffy
01-Aug-13, 18:08
I have one bit of advice - DO NOT TOUCH "CAIRNGORM WINDOWS" WITH A BARGE POLE !!! We are still suffering the effects of their leaking windows, which they refused all knowledge of (they flatly refused to speak with Trading Standards after we involved them :confused), after installing 5 windows in our home (which had never leaked before) !! [disgust] [disgust]

Iffy
01-Aug-13, 18:11
Meant to also say - Sinclair Windows are a brilliant company, had our kitchen and bathroom windows done by them; excellent service and workmanship ! Highly recommend them.

cazmanian_minx
01-Aug-13, 20:29
We've had both ours done by ERG and are very pleased. My mother in law (possibly the hardest woman to please in Thurso ;) ) has had both her doors and all her windows done by them and can't praise them highly enough - and they've done a beautiful job.

Blondie
02-Aug-13, 07:57
Meant to also say - Sinclair Windows are a brilliant company, had our kitchen and bathroom windows done by them; excellent service and workmanship ! Highly recommend them. I think you may have been one of the few then iffy. Appalling windows and after sales service.

2little2late
02-Aug-13, 22:50
Don't go anywhere near Cairngorm windows. My partner has had no end of problems with them. She is still in dispute as we speak. Wooden cills fitted in a house that has solid brick walls and electric storage heating. Obviously the heating isn't sufficient for the house as it is damp, hence mouldy cills. Upvc cills should have been installed so they could be wiped clean, wood is covered in mould. Partner was ripped off. Had second opinion and was told Upvc cills should have been installed. She contacted one of the directors, and he is adamant what his company did was correct. Also, the seals around the windows are rubber and not neoprene which creates a good tight seal. buy at your own risk.

Iffy
02-Aug-13, 22:59
Don't go anywhere near Cairngorm windows. My partner has had no end of problems with them. She is still in dispute as we speak. Wooden cills fitted in a house that has solid brick walls and electric storage heating. Obviously the heating isn't sufficient for the house as it is damp, hence mouldy cills. Upvc cills should have been installed so they could be wiped clean, wood is covered in mould. Partner was ripped off. Had second opinion and was told Upvc cills should have been installed. She contacted one of the directors, namely Chris Dowling and he is adamant what his company did was correct. Also, the seals around the windows are rubber and not neoprene which creates a good tight seal. buy at your own risk.

Well said "2little2late" - completely agree with you, and the more people realise that "Cairngorm Windows" are complete and utter "Cowboys" the better !!! I honestly hope that there are no more poor people who will get "sucked" into their advertisements and end up losing copious amounts of money in trying to correct their MASSIVE incompetency !!

sweetpea
03-Aug-13, 10:02
Reckon there's probably going to be little fault with all the firms, had Norscot do my house aout 3 year ago and whilst I'm about 90% happy, great windows and good enough job, they cracked a lot of the pointing at the front of the house and now have a mouldy bedroom and kitchen. Not having any knowledge of the constuction field, if I had would have checked things like that.