PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Books?

Lolabelle
31-Jan-07, 04:24
Does anyone know of any books that are set in Caithness?

david
31-Jan-07, 15:53
My Uncle George is set in Westerdale (well some of it is ). Its mainly about the way of life of a minister and is non fiction

trinkie
31-Jan-07, 20:50
Caithness Born ( Dunbeath ) Neil Gunn has written much about Caithness and Highland crofting life.

Wick Historian Ian Sutherland has written several books about the county including The Lybster Railway and several short stories.

The late Donald Young wrote The Book of Lybster

''The Magic of Caithness'' alas, the name of the author escapes me ... but it is worth reading.

''Widows of Clyth'' a power play about a fishing disaster, written by Donald Campbell.

There will be more, so why not visit the Library and ask there.
Dont forget the numerous poets in Caithness who have written of the local people and how they lived .

good luck

caithness lad
31-Jan-07, 21:33
Does anyone know of any books that are set in Caithness?the silver darlings by neil m gunn an excellent read.
caithness by james miller also very good.:D

Lolabelle
31-Jan-07, 22:30
Thank you all for the info, I will try to get hold of some or all of the above. Starting with the library. If not, then onto the www to buy some.
Lola

Lavenderblue2
01-Feb-07, 22:43
Green by Valerie Carr is a lovely book - set in either Lybster or Latheron - I can't remember which - she tells a gentle story of a summer staying with her grandparents. I can't take a look to refresh my memory as it is out on loan to a friend just now.

This book reminded me of my childhood trips to Caithness - blissful.

Well worth a read.

LB

Lolabelle
02-Feb-07, 03:16
Thanks very much for all the imput, very helpful.:)

Lolabelle
03-Feb-07, 04:21
Hi all, thanks for your help. Ihave just ordered 4 books set in Caithness at amazon. All of which I got from you guys so thank you very much. If I ever get this book finished, I will definately put in a big thank you to Caithness. org and all the orgers.

Lolabelle
09-Feb-07, 00:22
Hello, just an update, I have just recieved two of my Caithness books. Green by Valerie Carr and Memories of Caithness, by Christopher Uncles. Both look great and I'm sure they will be very helpful.
so Thanks again for everyones help.;)

Kenn
09-Feb-07, 01:21
Salmon River by Neil Gunn..set around Dunbeath

Doolally
10-Feb-07, 12:01
I've recently found a website called abebooks.co.uk. It's great for finding old, out of print books.

Angela
10-Feb-07, 13:07
I've recently found a website called abebooks.co.uk. It's great for finding old, out of print books.

It IS a good site.
I should probably declare an interest though - I use it for selling as well as buying books! ;)

Lolabelle
12-Feb-07, 11:51
It IS a good site.
I should probably declare an interest though - I use it for selling as well as buying books! ;)
Thats good to know Angela, almost like having family in there.
Thanks for the advice.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Feb-07, 19:57
I wrote a novella - the Caithness version of Trainspotting. It's called Cullspotting. 26 pages long. £2.99 to anyone who wants a copy.

Echidna
16-Feb-07, 14:09
This historical Norse Saga (published by Pengiun) is partially set in Caithness and Pentland Firth, some rollicking good Viking stories and a jolly good read. Another historical book partially based in Caithness is Prince Henry Sinclair, (I forget the name of author and publisher).:)