PDA

View Full Version : Edge of the World Festival 1997

Deemac
30-Jan-07, 23:51
Thought you all might like to see an edited highlight of the last Edge of the World Festival (1997) created by Gavin Lockhart. I think most of the backing music is by the Peatbog Faeries. (Headline act on the Saturday). It's all very arty . . . .

All this was nicely killed by Thurso Town Improvements Association (TTIA) when they moved their chosen gala date to the same date as EOTW's with 6 weeks notice. (How considerate I thought at the time!!)

Anyway, it was make or break that year and died due to public apathy (as well as mine). Hope the Big Gig at the dammies fairs much better (at least they have TTIA on their side this time . . . . . . . ):confused

I'll post some other stuff in the future.

See link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqTiyE57PAU

K dragon
31-Jan-07, 00:18
big gig isnt at the dammies this year.

Naefearjustbeer
31-Jan-07, 00:24
Where is it then?

K dragon
31-Jan-07, 01:30
not definate yet but the field where the county show used to be held

Naefearjustbeer
31-Jan-07, 11:25
Is that where the EOTW festival moved too? In my opinion which might be a lot of crap by the way. The out of town location was not a good move for it. A lot less people just dropped by for a look compared to when it was on viewfirth park.

Jeid
31-Jan-07, 12:18
not definate yet but the field where the county show used to be held

I sense a possible bad move

henry20
31-Jan-07, 12:43
Have to agree with NFJB & Jeid - I was disappointed that I couldn't make it to the last one, but wouldn't contemplate going if it was at county show field.

Deemac
31-Jan-07, 13:48
Yes, your right, this is the same location as the EOTW festival. We spent a considerable amount of money installing an enormous capacity power supply (I believe its still there). We had BIG plans . . . . .

This location was chosen as we didn't want to be restricted by local neighbours complaining about noise/disturbance levels after 10pm (fair enough). Also we wanted much more control by fencing off the whole festival site so punters actually paid to get in!! (How novel a concept - actually PAYING for entertainment) Development of camping/sideshows etc. was also another plan.

None of this was available at the previous Viewfirth site (or for that matter any site within the Town).

I find it a rather pathetic excuss that either a good going walk or a short taxi ride away was all that was asked for for people to attend. Most of these same people don't bat an eyelid at travelling 600 miles round trip to see T in the Park or the likes!!

Just how lazy are you?

Yes, the casual punter is excluded - but they don't pay for anything anyway. If it isn't between Skinandis and the Comm you can't be bothered!!!!

These sort of events are very expensive to put on (at this level of production). It cost EOTW £15,000 to stage a 2 day event in 1997 (10 years ago). All of the local bands also played for free. Ask the Country Festival people what their event costs to run?

K Dragon, I again wish you well and every success with your plans. But if this sort of attitude prevails you are in for a struggle. (No wonder The Orkney Islands are so much better at this sort of event)[evil]

K dragon
31-Jan-07, 14:03
i personally didnt think it was too far out of town. there are no other locations that give a decent size. there was a suggestion to hold it WAY out in thurso east. also as deemac mentioned there are less red tape matters to deal with.

henry20
31-Jan-07, 14:22
I'm not a huge music fan, although I had hoped to go last year. Being conveniently located or a taxi trip away could be the difference between people (who are not really into music in a big way) going or not.

If you look at previous threads regarding county shows, you will notice that people prefer the wick location as it is better located. Its a fact of life.

Jeid
31-Jan-07, 14:23
I find it a rather pathetic excuss that either a good going walk or a short taxi ride away was all that was asked for for people to attend. Most of these same people don't bat an eyelid at travelling 600 miles round trip to see T in the Park or the likes!!

Just how lazy are you?

Yes, the casual punter is excluded - but they don't pay for anything anyway. If it isn't between Skinandis and the Comm you can't be bothered!!!!

I think ruling out any sort of punter isn't the way to be running an event. If you want an event to be a success, every possible punter should be taken into consideration... even the lazy ones.

Ok, people travel 600miles to T In The Park... but it's a professionally run festival with top acts performing every year. No offence to any of the bands, but the Big Gig isn't offering anything like the sort of acts that T In The Park is.

Money isn't everything at the end of the day.

The event is going to be running on a Friday and Saturday... I'm not saying that people won't stay, but this is Thurso... people WILL LEAVE to go to Skinandi's/any pub in town.

I think we need to get a grip on reality just now.

As a good friend said to me not too long ago

"It frustrates us all that folk won't walk a minimal distance or pay a minimal fee for entertainment but it's a fact that we have to put up with"

Jeid
31-Jan-07, 14:25
I'm not a huge music fan, although I had hoped to go last year. Being conveniently located or a taxi trip away could be the difference between people (who are not really into music in a big way) going or not.

If you look at previous threads regarding county shows, you will notice that people prefer the wick location as it is better located. Its a fact of life.

I think this post pretty much sums up what I was saying in my last post.

K dragon
31-Jan-07, 16:45
well would you all rather it wasnt on so you could go to the pub and skins?

you have a choice to either go or stay.

heres the reality i see.

its a gig.

to raise money for the town.

just five minutes out of town.

friday for young.

saturday for old.

you have a choice to stay at home or go.

you have a choice to go to skins or pub.

we supply the music the drink and food.

you either bring your bottom or not.

zebedy
31-Jan-07, 17:32
what about inside that place behind the football park in Halkirk, i think that may be what your on about ( were they hold the KnashVill Country things ) , Ive played 3 gigs in there. The sound is immence ( very echoy, but on stage ure fine ) when we got a decent sound guy, and if you have booked the same guy as you had for Big Gig one, i can garenteeeee a brillaint sound, worked with the man himself. Playing Live with and Him doin my bands sound!

Never fails to create a great sound!

nah fear, thee Chobbers is ere, thats what i said.!... lol ( thats if u have him this year )

* im not shur if the stage ive played on is a perminate fixture in the buildin. might of been the peoples who ran it!. *

but can u immagin the MOSH that could go on inside there!.... WOW

theboss
31-Jan-07, 17:34
I don't think you need to tell people who read this forum that.

I think the points made were that Joe Public might not make the same effort to go to a gig if it was out of the town a little. I'm pretty confident that the majority of folk who read and contribute to the music threads understand the difficulties in getting the general public to attend gigs in the town never mind out of town, believe me, I do!

Don't get me wrong, with the right technical set-up, line up of bands, amenities, advertising and price you probably will attract a decent audience to the outskirts of Thurso for a gig but, all folk are saying is that, it is a risk.

All the best for it though K Dragon. I'm sure you know what you're doing and hope you prove yourself.

Jeid
31-Jan-07, 17:34
For an organiser... you take things right to heart. It's constructive criticism. I'm raising my points and if you want to take them as digs, well, that's up to you. Read between the lines. If I wanted to criticise... I could be a lot harsher.

I want the event to be a success, hence my concern about the possible lack of attendance by holding the event out of town.

5mins out of town could be the difference between a good event and a mediocre event.

People will all go to the pub or skins regardless. Perhaps not everyone... but I'm pretty sure a good lot of people will.

zebedy
31-Jan-07, 17:39
Rapsons buses...

??

rent like two buses to go to were ever halkirk place i was onabout for example every hour or sutin?

theboss
31-Jan-07, 17:39
what about inside that place behind the football park in Halkirk, i think that may be what your on about ( were they hold the KnashVill Country things ) , Ive played 3 gigs in there. The sound is immence ( very echoy, but on stage ure fine ) when we got a decent sound guy, and if you have booked the same guy as you had for Big Gig one, i can garenteeeee a brillaint sound, worked with the man himself. Playing Live with and Him doin my bands sound!

Never fails to create a great sound!

nah fear, thee Chobbers is ere, thats what i said.!... lol ( thats if u have him this year )

* im not shur if the stage ive played on is a perminate fixture in the buildin. might of been the peoples who ran it!. *

but can u immagin the MOSH that could go on inside there!.... WOW

I've been to the event Zebedy and you're right, it is some size, and in my opinion, too big for the type of event planned at this early a stage in it's existence.

The Northern Nashville have got a great club and ALOT of members. They are also able to attract decent names in country music due to the success of their club and the large amounts of money they are able to pay. It's a big place to fill and lack of bodies would make for a very poor atmosphere!

Also, if they won't go to Scrabster, why would they go to Halkirk?

zebedy
31-Jan-07, 17:50
very vaild point made there Bossman, Never seen it without the Northern Kashvill shiz set up inside, them three gig me playin were all the country things!

yee ha, playin it again this year..

all the big shots come over to u and like " Hey Kids How goes it? " hahaha Great fun with out band mentor John newton <-- the one and only! haha
my hero! :) lol

K dragon
31-Jan-07, 18:01
woah woah, its not scrabster. its right across from bt. across the road from where the banger derby is held.

i didnt take it to heart.

zebedy
31-Jan-07, 18:05
just a random question being fired out here, u know as u do

why is it not at the dammie this year?

rather good location... or is cause the noise levels around houses? was rather crazzy when u go up til the shoppy and u cud hear the drums echo smackin of the houses! hahaha

sighs* memorys..

theboss
31-Jan-07, 18:09
woah woah, its not scrabster. its right across from bt. across the road from where the banger derby is held.

I'm pretty confident that's Scrabster farm. That's certainly where they hold the County Show. I could be wrong though!

K dragon
31-Jan-07, 18:38
well its a good few year ago i mean.
i havent been to the show in ages.

its where i remember it being held last.

K dragon
31-Jan-07, 18:41
oh yeah,

the reason for it being in the field is

A: the houses

B: we are charging at the gate this year, so proceeds can go to a better concert next year.

C:secuirity reasons (e.g. the river at dammies)

if anyone has any better local locations then please do suggest them.

Deemac
31-Jan-07, 18:41
Chaps,
I'm soooooo glad to be having nothing to do with this sort of event. You've made me feel so good about jacking in the EOTW organisation. (We donated our remaining £4,500 bank balance to Caithness FM).

The staggering sheep like mind set of the typical Thurso punter - Off to skins (for the 43rd time this year no doubt!!) No adventurism.

Option 1 (pessimistic): I strongly recommend K Dragon to just through in the towel now. It’s obviously a waste of time trying to put on a good show. As you say Jeid - it’s obviously not professional anyway and will never compete.

Option 2 (Optimistic): Walk before you can run . . . . Stay at the Dammie location (or near the Youth Club), run on a shoe string budget for 3 or 4 years, develop your skills and reputation - THEN move out to Scrabster when you have the resources and experience (Aim mainly at the tourist market - bypass the locals, they won't support you anyway) - This is the strategy that EOTW tried (TTIA scuppered this wonderful plan fairly sucessfully unfortunately).

Anyway, enough of my rant for now. I'll be there to support what ever comes along (where ever it's held). I won't be going to Skins afterwards.

PS: The riding school venue is a joke. Played there once on the back of a lorry. Was it ever dusty and the acoustic of a railway station announcer. Truley up there in the dire venue league. :eek:

K dragon
31-Jan-07, 19:04
for gods sake.

its not at dammies,

jesus, first you all dont like the layout of friday and saturday now your all having a go at venue, and jesus deemac whatever TTIA did with your gig thing quit throwing it at me and bringing it up, i had nothing to do with that.

see this is why i have outbursts.

the gig WILL go ahead.

if you choose to turn up or not its your decision.

end of matter, i have NOTHING more to say on it.

you want contact with me PM me.

Deemac
31-Jan-07, 19:24
for gods sake.

its not at dammies,

jesus, first you all dont like the layout of friday and saturday now your all having a go at venue, and jesus deemac whatever TTIA did with your gig thing quit throwing it at me and bringing it up, i had nothing to do with that.

see this is why i have outbursts.

the gig WILL go ahead.

if you choose to turn up or not its your decision.

end of matter, i have NOTHING more to say on it.

you want contact with me PM me.

K Dragon,
Here speaks a man of experience and in control of his emotions!! I'm only pointing out some potential, previous (similar event) pitfalls.

But hey, - your in charge. Do it your own way (mine failed anyway, so what do I know?) I do suggest that your attitude needs some serious adjusting. This being a public forum it doesn't paint a good picture of your temperament to deliver the goods or take some constructive criticism or advice.

I promise not to mention EOTW in context with your event again.

Chill . . . . .

K dragon
31-Jan-07, 19:52
i can take cronstructive,

but this just seems destructive at times, and i have mentioned that i am taking all this in.

my attitude is fine, its what gets the job done.

i have not disrespected anyone here so i cant see anything wrong with that.

midis comment was constructive and in a positive nature.

so was big boss (i think thats the name)

a community is supposed to back new fresh ideas, invite them with OPTIMISM (spelling?)

not a massive barrage of "this isnt a good idea" and "oh im glad im not part of this" especially from bands TAKING PART, and ones who asked us for a slot.

to me this is hurtful. im exceptionally passionate about music. i listen, and create it everyday of my life, and i would do anything to see it move just an inch more forward up here.

thats all.

but after all i have been through today.....just not sure its worth it.

Naefearjustbeer
31-Jan-07, 22:13
I will be going as long as I am not working. Shift work can be a pest sometimes. I did not mean to start a argy bargy on here. I was just giving an opinion. I like live music and make an effort to go and see live music in the county. I have seen some cracking bands play to almost empty venues on many a time. It is a crying shame when you see a band giving it hell for leather for the punters to be almost ignoring the band and then going up for a dance when the interval music/disco comes on. I wanted to go to the eotw festival at scrabster but I couldnt manage for one reason or another. However the amount of folk that wouldnt take a chance and head out of the main pub circuit was unbelievable. Good luck to the Big Gig I hope you have every sucess. Just chill a bit or you will have a brain storm long before the event comes off.

Jeid
31-Jan-07, 23:33
Option 1 (pessimistic): I strongly recommend K Dragon to just through in the towel now. It’s obviously a waste of time trying to put on a good show. As you say Jeid - it’s obviously not professional anyway and will never compete.

What an utterly childish response. When was the last time you were on a night out? Where does pretty much everyone in this town end up regardless of any event? Aye, Skinandi's. There's one place to go(and you can only get in before 12). People talk with their feet.

Why was the Big Gig held on a Sunday last year? Oh yes... because it probably wouldn't compete with Skinandi's... that was what I was told by the man who ran last years event.

I never said the event wasn't professional enough... I said that T In The Park was a "professionally run event" and that's the reason people pay hundreds of pounds for tickets and travel.

You ran the EOTW, but you don't seem to be giving K Dragon a hope in hell of running this event. Your event flopped. Shame. But that's life. Instead of getting on his back about it all the time, you could be offering a bit more support.

It's possible that K Dragon has also taken a lot of my points as criticism, which I didn't intend. Sorry about that.

I hope this event runs as smoothly as K Dragon intends. I'm just raising my concerns about the out of town option. I'll play wherever, I don't mind. Just making points. I think it'd be better in the town. If it's out of town, that's where it is. Good luck K Dragon.

Deemac
01-Feb-07, 00:16
Tut, tut, tut,
Yet another debate degrades to personal insults!!
Jeid - you of all people should know better.

I can't think why you appear to have such a bias towards all things Skinandis? (center of the Thurso universe it appears).

Can you imagine that I may have had a great night out and not be drawn to this Mecca of creativity, talent, intellect and sophistication!!

I merely suggest in the context of a live music event, from my own previous experiences, some pitfalls for K Dragon to be wary of. He can take this advice or not, it makes no odds to me.

I gave K Dragon 2 options, both pessimistic and optimistic. Try and have a more balanced viewpoint in your own replies and less of the Skins hard sell. It gets rather tiring . . . . .

Jeid
01-Feb-07, 00:27
Hard sell on skins... haha... Last time I was there was before Xmas... and that was only cos we had a gig. I can't stand the place. Before that... I honestly couldn't rememeber. I never asked if YOU had been there, I asked where the majority of people end up? As sad as it is, people always go, every weekend.

Why should I know better? I, like you or anyone else on this message board are here for debate, anything you or I type is up for debate.

Could you point out my personal insult, cos I don't see one. I called your response childish, I didn't call YOU childish.

Yeah, you are giving advice, but nothing which I can see that's helpful.

Deemac
01-Feb-07, 00:54
Jeid,
I suggest that to re-check the general tone of some of your responses regarding why you may appear to offend. You claim to be oblivious in this general area as well as absorbing any constructive advice points within a reply.

If my own input is seen or interpreted as negative or un-constructive, I apologies. It is not my intention.

Jeid
01-Feb-07, 01:08
My tone? Erm, and what tone are you hearing exactly? It's text.

Things can easily be mis-interpreted. You should know that... especially since K Dragon seems to have taken a lot of "flack" from you in the past. (It may or may not have been intended that way... hence the inverted commas)

Perhaps I have an aggressive style of response, but I do love a heated debate. Seems everyone just cries about them these days. Boo hoo.

The Pepsi Challenge
01-Feb-07, 18:26
... in other news Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the King's horses and all the King's men are trying their best to put him back together again.

Book Them And They Will Come

theone
04-Feb-07, 05:13
I'm late to this debate!

Big gig on the dammies was great, good music, good fun, weather could have been better but didn't spoil the mood.

Moving out of town would be a bad decision in my opinion. People would walk to the dammies (especially from the pubs), Viewfirth, maybe even the high school fields. Ask them to walk the same distance past the weigh inn and they won't.

I'd rather see a show finishing at 10pm in the town than one after midnight outside. Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd, and I don't think you'd get a great deal from outside the music scene attending a gig at scrabster farm.

The "big" Edge of the world, as I remember it was a disaster. I hope this doesn't happen again. Thurso is sorely lacking a music scene as it is. I worry any good done from last years big gig will be lost by any moves to change its format.

Please prove me wrong.

The Big Gig© The deluded one.

Metalattakk
04-Feb-07, 05:55
Moving out of town would be a bad decision in my opinion. People would walk to the dammies (especially from the pubs), Viewfirth, maybe even the high school fields. Ask them to walk the same distance past the weigh inn and they won't.

And that's basically the bottom line.

I'd rather see a show finishing at 10pm in the town than one after midnight outside. Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd, and I don't think you'd get a great deal from outside the music scene attending a gig at scrabster farm.

Absolutely. A 10pm finish in town and everyone (except the musos :D) can still off to Skins like we all know they want to anyway.

And let's face it - is the gig to be just for the musos or for the average punter?

K dragon
04-Feb-07, 16:46
well like i keep saying people, cant hold it at dammies due to the river and the hassle last year.

also too many entry points.

so if anyone has a better idea of where to hold it then please say,

i have mentioned that a few times and i have had ONE response.

so please write an opinion on where it should be held, bearing in mind about entry points and safety issues.

we have to charge for entry this year (not much folks, just a pound or two)
because the profit we make this year can go to a better one next year.

thanks.

Metalattakk
04-Feb-07, 17:20
Plenty of places could be suggested - Viewfirth field (with a competitively priced beer tent perhaps?), Millbank field (between the swimming pool and the Park hotel), there are fields at the High School, or how about even closing off the town square and having it at the same place as the Hogmany open air gig? All these just off the top o' ma heid, remember.

Your point about entry points doesn't hold up though, as all you need to do is police them properly.

zebedy
04-Feb-07, 18:54
what about the place down by the beach and the surf shop is

if the surfers are up time it round them maby and have it down by the tempest!

u know like were them toilets are facinf towords the fish shop

K dragon
04-Feb-07, 19:06
viewfirth field is open, so too many entry points and its next to an estate,
the rugby pitch is a good one, but again too many exit points.

zebedy, the harbour is too close as is the beach. that and drink dont go well.

good suggestions.

at the mo, the rugby pitch looks best.

keep em coming!!

Metalattakk
04-Feb-07, 19:15
Sorry to ask, but what's the beef with exit points? Why is it bad to have too many?

Obviously, I'm missing something here...

zebedy
04-Feb-07, 21:06
what about the bit of land that doesnt get used beside the garage as u come into Thurso from Glengolly...

Get a bunch of folk to flatten down all that long grass or higher counsil to cut it. ??? the land inbetween Dunbar and the Garage

zebedy
04-Feb-07, 21:09
Or hows about up at the naiver football pitch? ( duno if ud be allowed to have the gig on the actualy pitch wud be cool though a massive mosh in there ) hee hee

Or the big playing field beside it?

zebedy
04-Feb-07, 21:11
the caravan site just before u get to the weigh inn?

thats a huge bit of ground.

yes beside cliff, but is there anywere that doesnt have a risk?

dont think so?

zebedy
04-Feb-07, 21:19
if its looking to finish at 10

why not have it in the pre sinct... i canna spell that~!

but u know were i am!

out side woolys

K dragon
04-Feb-07, 21:43
the exit points is a payment issue, we really need the profit for next years gig.

and last year even though the concert was free, folks were climbing over the dammie walls to avoid paying. its not a big deal, im not money grabbing or anything but a little profit would be nice lol

also we cant hold the gig near the cliffs or rivers, safety issues and high hieghts and alocohol never went well together, same with harbours.

i too thought of naver inside the cage. would be cool, but trucks across astro turf, and the estate directly next to it.

cant flatten land or cut it, as believe it or not, such stuff requires licenses and red tape.

its very awkward.

any other suggestions?

zebedy
04-Feb-07, 21:58
:mad: heck u need a permit to cut sum grass!

Wat has this world come to

everything comes down to a dottted line!

im still brain stormin

ive come to a stand still!

U had any other thoughts ure self K dragon
wat u thinkin Pre sinct?

zebedy
04-Feb-07, 22:01
the playing field by frasers shoppy?

Jeid
04-Feb-07, 22:30
If you're having to pay to get in, you're gonna have more security than last year which also means that there's less chance of problems like last year.

Millbank would probably not be the best place in the world. It's very very open. A touch of wind and the sound will be difficult to control.

zebedy
04-Feb-07, 23:31
thurso east were they used to have the county show years and years ago

shurly u cud do sutin about that one K dragon

Metalattakk
05-Feb-07, 00:13
Might as well have it out at Scrabster, Zeb! Just as far away!

I quite like the idea of outside the Town Hall though. Saw Boss Hogg playing there a few years back, for some Gala thing. OK, so the same issues arise about neighbours and exit points, but then the exit point problem was covered earlier - just have more staff/policing. You can always sell tickets beforehand too. Just gotta be pro-active. Finish around 10pm and everything's alright with the nearby housing too.

Naver field would have the same problems that Jeid has outlined for Millbank field- it's windy as :eek: up there. Half the rigging would end up in Oslo. Plus it's a sand based surface and the weight of any trucks/stage would cause a lot of damage, I reckon. The field next to it is constantly waterlogged these days, even during summer.

K dragon
05-Feb-07, 01:50
town hall and precinct require a lot pf permission from police and what not.

also means closing roads at the town square (new year) or outside the town hall.

keep em coming, glad to see the enthusiasm!

theone
05-Feb-07, 06:58
The dammies for me.

The reasons against this venue seem to be:

1) Near to the river. Scared of people getting drunk and falling in etc.
2) Many gates/Lots of ways in, i.e. hard to stop people sneaking in for free.
3) Near to housing, therefore would need to end by 10pm.

In my humble opinion....

1) Near the river is not a problem at the dammies. It is not as if you are standing at the edge of the water. I went to the Thurso New Year street party this year and got ridiculously drunk. Nobody stopped me being allowed to cross the bridge on my way home.

2) You have the gate at the toll gallery, the roadway at the shell station, the gate at the end of the elland bridge and and the main entrance at Sir Archibalds road. 4 entrances = 4/8 money collectors. Not many in my opinion. Most people would use these entrances and be willing to pay a couple of pounds without question. Those who "jump the wall" or sneak in otherwise would be a minority, mostly kids and even those who weren't, what's the harm? A couple of potential pounds lost because of the minority is going to move a gig to out of town, where VASTLY less people would attend? Moving would be cutting off one's nose in spite of one's face methinks.

3) Near to housing. Valid point. This would result in the gig being restricted to a 10pm finish. However as I said before that's not necessarily a bad thing:

Metallattakk agrees:

And that's basically the bottom line.

Absolutely. A 10pm finish in town and everyone (except the musos :D) can still off to Skins like we all know they want to anyway.

And let's face it - is the gig to be just for the musos or for the average punter?

There would be nothing worse than seeing half of the Skinandis loyal leave at quarter past eleven before the "Headliners" came on at midnight. I think that would ruin the mood of the event and therefore my view of it's intents.

My view of the aims and intents of the event:

(I seem to like putting numbers against things in this post!)

In no particular order.....

1) Give local bands a chance to play to a crowd which otherwise they could not.

2) Give Joe Public a view of local music which he might otherwise have not seen.

3) Earn a few pound for the town.

I think a show, on the dammies, charging a couple of quid at the gates would meet all these aims because:

1) Musicians love playing, and love playing to a crowd. That is why they play for free at these events.

2) That way, touch wood, a "music scene" might develop in Thurso that has been missing for at least a decade. Ask any 30 something (or maybe 40 something nowadays) of a night out in Thurso 20-25 years ago. Everyone of them will tell you of dancing to local bands. I'd love to see that again.

3) I'm all for that, but moving out of town just to "police" the gate better would cost more punters than it would save in free loaders. At the end of the day, with the vast majority of people involved working for free (the bands, the organisers, the stewards etc) I can't see how this could fail to make a profit, and any pound made is a bonus. I sneaked into the county show many times as a child and I don't think any likeminded kid nowadays would be stopped doing the same. It'd be like banning coppers at the gala because 5p's are worth more.

Not being brief: I don't want to see the format change, for the good of the reasons I've said above.

I think I've answered all the reasons for a change of venue and provided my own valid reasons for keeping it as is.

K dragon. I admire your willingness and devotion to planning this event and hope it succeedes in every way. But........

well would you all rather it wasnt on so you could go to the pub and skins?

heres the reality i see.

its a gig.

friday for young.

saturday for old.

Yes,

But......

giving the punter something more accessible, desireable and "less hassle" would probably meet your aims of being that include:

its a gig.

I've made my points on this before. Joe Public in Thurso wont walk past the Weigh Inn for a gig.

friday for young.

saturday for old.

I think The Big Gig© may be getting too big for it's boots. One night is more than enough in my opinion, this was one of the failings of the "big" Edge of the World.

Yes you have a choice, but if one of your aims is making money then you have to ENTICE the paying mob to the event, not INVITE. Make it desireable, available and attractive. Don't have a "turn up or miss out" attitude.

Seriously K Dragon, the best of luck. Just please don't get "stuck" with this out of town idea, it is bound to failure.

I hope this doesn't end like EOTW, and with the same respect to Deemac, who I'm sure also had the best intentions realises now Thurso isn't ready for anything on too big a scale.

At the end of the day, I'd love to go to "Thurso retail park" and buy an IKEA© couch, head over the road and get a COMET© TV before checking the deals in TESCO© and ASDA© before deciding which one I was going to buy my beer from.

BUT...

Thurso hasn't got an IKEA©, COMET©, or TESCO©/ASDA© pricewar

BECAUSE...

Thurso can't support it yet.

Lets stop trying to compete with "T in the Park" and have "Beer in the Field" instead. Yes it doesn't make as much money but it's what we're good at.

On another point, it does have a Cinema for Thurso. Note the lack of ©!

moncur
05-Feb-07, 14:49
Trying to word this correctly to get a point across so bear with me.
Whats the difference between having it in town or out of town with a view towards entry fees?

Have it in a big open field outside Thurso:- people can pay a couple of pound to get in or hope over/ through a barbed-wire fence (easily done if u ask me).

Have it in, say, a playing field in Town. people can pay a couple of pound for entry or hope over a 2 foot drystone wall.

Regardless of where u have it, people will jump the boundaries to get in. Just ensure u have enough volunteers to man the paid entry points and the other areas in-between. Only other alternative is to issues wristbands (not very cost effective) or do BIG GIG/ CTF hand stamps (a better and more cost effective idea). Donation Bucket type people can go round and if they see anyone without a stamp, ask for a donation in exchange for a stamp on the hand (a rubber one, i aint gonna stand on no-ones hand!).

With Regards to what Jeid said about sound. No matter where u have it outdoors, the wind will cause problems with sound. At least having it in town will mean that its slightly more sheltered from the elements thanks to the buildings.

I think parents would also far rather their kids go to an event within the Town rather than walk along a busy road out of Thurso where they 'could get hit by a Bus or a Stevens Lorry' on the way.

K dragon
05-Feb-07, 16:28
refferring to dammies,

there WAS a problem with the river.

there WAS kids messing around there last year.

dont get me wrong i know people will sneak in, thats always going to happen, im doing this more for the music than the money, but profit would be nice.

also dammies is next to co op. people will go buy alcohol there than service being issued this year.

really good points. loving it!!!

zebedy
05-Feb-07, 17:42
stop competting to strive to be as big as T in the Park... excellent wording there!

Dammies Im in favour,

If the gig is said to bigger and better, well this means more security...

And having people pay to cum in they cum in and pay for the bands, what theyd o with themselfs is there own problem. There not paying to stand on the dammies grass, there seeing the bands!

Kids fooling at the river is there own problem. But having people at entry points will help stop it

You dont get good without bad, its how life goes!

K dragon
05-Feb-07, 18:32
well, with all the suggestions still dont have a location

Chobbersjnr
06-Feb-07, 01:44
well, with all the suggestions still dont have a location

Deemac's back garden..................mwahahaha don't tell him I said that[lol]

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Feb-07, 02:08
Or the head of a pin.

Deemac
06-Feb-07, 13:39
Deemac's back garden..................mwahahaha don't tell him I said that[lol]

Sorry Chobbers, but my back garden is heavily booked that very weekend.

I figured that the grass was more likely to need cut than the chance of this event actually taking place.

Sorry K Dragon, but did I actually read that your organising this ALL by yourself!!! :eek: (gulp).

A brave man indeed. . . . (it's the only optomistic response I could think of).