PDA

View Full Version : Dreadful Service !

cherokee
29-Jul-13, 12:55
I have a £100 gold bracelet which I inherited from a family member.

A few weeks ago a link on it broke, so I took it to a local jewellers to be re-paired.

On getting it back, I realised that the last two links beside the "clasp-holder" and the "clasp-holder" itself were all, basically, welded together and not very well done at that !!

My OH, took the bracelet back to the company, expecting to get it repaired correctly. On collection of it last week, it was much too tight to even go around my wrist, (the "welded" part had not even been removed) so, obviously some links were missing.

OH took it back, again, to the jeweller's, who are now insistent that no links whatsoever have been removed from the item and they wouldn't accept any responsibility !!!!!

So, basically, I now have an expensive and sentimental bracelet, which I cannot wear . . . . . very shoddy customer service IMO !! [disgust] [disgust]

Gronnuck
29-Jul-13, 13:08
Perhaps Trading Standards or Citizens Advice would be the place to start rather than using a scatter gun technique to attack all jewellers in the far north.

Kodiak
29-Jul-13, 14:12
When taking any Gold item to be repaired you should weigh it first. Then when handing it over inform the assistant the weight of the gold and get them to confirm it. Then if it comes back light you will be able to prove it.

cherokee
29-Jul-13, 17:59
I was obviously too trustworthy Kodiak !! Will def remember that tip in future, thanks !

George Brims
29-Jul-13, 20:05
Take pictures too.

ducati
29-Jul-13, 20:10
I once repaired jewelry for a living and a lot of the jobs we were asked to do were pretty much impossible as the items were so worn out. If the customer insisted we try, we would offer no guarantee that the item would survive the experience. This is probably what these guys should have done.

cherokee
29-Jul-13, 20:30
The bracelet in question is practically brand new !

ducati
29-Jul-13, 20:46
Oh, only the usual reason they break is 'cos it is worn out. Disapointing they would not admit to a mistake or problem.

ducati
29-Jul-13, 23:33
Nobody who sells gold / silver in Thurso is a "jeweller"..... they don't keep a soldering iron on the premises.....

a) a soldering iron is not a tool a Jeweller would use.

b) it would be very unusual for a Jewellers to have a workshop on the premises these days, I worked at a workshop that serviced a large chain of stores, so I would assume that a single shop business would have to contract repair work out.

Tilly Teckel
29-Jul-13, 23:37
Sorry to the OP for hijacking your jewellery thread, but here's a fantastic recipe for a donor kebab. I made them last week and they were awesome (and I'm not exactly Jamie Oliver!) ;)

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23670/authentic-turkish-doner-kebab.aspx

Dadie
30-Jul-13, 00:03
|I travel..I eat....
At home I do cooking from scratch usually.
Real cooking ..not bung on mince and add a sauce type cooking...
But with precious jewellery and repairs (had a few) weigh/count links if possible and find out what they need to do beforehand as well as prices..ie might be near as cheap to add/subtract a link than tricky soldering...and more aestheticly pleasing.
And if complicated its worth seeing who has the best methods in overcoming the probs rather than price ..which needs at least phone contact!

Tangerine-Dream
30-Jul-13, 22:38
Who's the sad one here? The guy who has a dislike of northern "doner kebabs" (me) or the guy who actually takes time to point out that the guy who dislikes northern doner kebabs actually posted his dislike of them some two years ago......... Jeesoooo, get a life mate ;)

May I also suggest you spend some time "trying" to socially interact with people in REAL life rather than spending your time in front of a screen. You seem to have a "talent" but it's not the sort of talent that is useful to anybody but yourself.... get outdoors and sniff the roses.

Tangerine-Dream
30-Jul-13, 22:56
Sorry to the OP for hijacking your jewellery thread, but here's a fantastic recipe for a donor kebab. I made them last week and they were awesome (and I'm not exactly Jamie Oliver!) ;)

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23670/authentic-turkish-doner-kebab.aspx

Cheers Tilliy, I'll give that a go.

Tangerine-Dream
30-Jul-13, 23:07
I'm not 100% with these guys BUT it's a good place to start building your own kebab:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHvrkqMei4c

Tangerine-Dream
30-Jul-13, 23:29
I didn't realise there was an expert here and should have said "blow torch"....

a) a soldering iron is not a tool a Jeweller would use.

b) it would be very unusual for a Jewellers to have a workshop on the premises these days, I worked at a workshop that serviced a large chain of stores, so I would assume that a single shop business would have to contract repair work out.

It is VERY unusual (as you say) for a jeweller to have a workshop (or any knowledge in making / repairing an item of jewellrey).... a good reason to give them a wide berth?

rogermellie
30-Jul-13, 23:30
i'm perfectly happy pointing out you sleverin the same pish like a broken record, but i'm not the sad one who's so unable to socially interact with the real world that i criticise the same rubbish kebab year after year.

if you're not up to speaking to the purveyors of caithness's finest kebabs and help them improve, fair enough, but why keep going on about it ?

without fear of sounding xenophobic or some such anti anglo blah blah .... what's keeping you here if you're so unhappy with the things that matter? (like kebabs and jewellers)

Dadie
30-Jul-13, 23:45
rogermellie ..its the peace and quiet and ability to double park on double yellow lines and the fact no one knows the Tesco opening hours that keeps us here!
Jewellers(who know whats wrong and know how to fix to keep the item looking as good as it can( rather than the easy fix that is clumsy) and jewellery makers/artisans are hard to find while jewellery sellers are less hard to find.

rogermellie
31-Jul-13, 00:00
rogermellie ..its the peace and quiet and ability to double park on double yellow lines and the fact no one knows the Tesco opening hours that keeps us here!
Jewellers(who know whats wrong and know how to fix to keep the item looking as good as it can( rather than the easy fix that is clumsy) and jewellery makers/artisans are hard to find while jewellery sellers are less hard to find.

lol, thanks for clearing that up .... but what about the kebabs?

Dadie
31-Jul-13, 00:17
try them all then rate em!
simples!

Thumper
01-Aug-13, 14:47
have you any photos with you wearing the bracelet? May be enough to prove you could fit it but cant now x

cherokee
01-Aug-13, 17:46
Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread and also all the ideas/help they have given to me, I very much appreciate it !

Although I must admit to having a laugh about my thread turning into a discussion about kebabs !!:lol: :lol: (Considering how upset I am about my bracelet, you guys definitely brought a smile to my face, LOL !!!)

No, Thumper, I have no photo's to prove it used to fit me, thanks for the idea though ! :(

I've come to the conclusion now, that all I can do is accept the fact that I didn't research the capabilities of jeweller's, with regards to fixing a bracelet !! I also agree with other's on here, who suggested that "said jeweller's" could have at least informed me of their inability to fix a gold item, BEFORE they attempted it !!

ducati
01-Aug-13, 19:28
Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread and also all the ideas/help they have given to me, I very much appreciate it !

Although I must admit to having a laugh about my thread turning into a discussion about kebabs !!:lol: :lol: (Considering how upset I am about my bracelet, you guys definitely brought a smile to my face, LOL !!!)

No, Thumper, I have no photo's to prove it used to fit me, thanks for the idea though ! :(

I've come to the conclusion now, that all I can do is accept the fact that I didn't research the capabilities of jeweller's, with regards to fixing a bracelet !! I also agree with other's on here, who suggested that "said jeweller's" could have at least informed me of their inability to fix a gold item, BEFORE they attempted it !!

You may still be able to get it fixed properly if not economically (I appreciate the sentimental value). Research Jewellery workshops (probably under 'Diamond Mounters') I don't know but there may be one in Inverness.

Also try taking a picture of yourself eating a Kebab, It won't help but may make you feel better. (Send a copy to TG it may make him feel better too).

cherokee
01-Aug-13, 21:23
:lol: Thanks ducati - kebab eating Cherokee on it's way :lol: !!

I will try to find a "proper" jeweller's workshop , thank you for your help, it's appreciated.

Anfield
02-Aug-13, 18:48
Also try taking a picture of yourself eating a Kebab, It won't help but may make you feel better. .

Always be yourself, unless you can be a unicorn, then be a Unicorn!

poppett
04-Aug-13, 09:56
Can`t remember his name....Colin I think had a workshop at the top of the raining stairs in Inverness. He also makes bespoke jewellery from broken items. Campbell might be his second name. Maybe this triggers a memory for somebody. His workshop is next door to Ken Provan`s dental surgery.

captain chaos
04-Aug-13, 11:11
Instead of thinking "South" for repairs, why not try "North" there are several fine Jewellery makers and jewellers in Orkney.

for example http://www.hourstonoforkney.co.uk/repairs-and-services/ f

cherokee
04-Aug-13, 16:41
Thanks for your ideas, appreciated !

secrets in symmetry
04-Aug-13, 16:44
Weren't Cherokees once (in)famous for scalping people they had problems with? That would be a bit extreme in this case, I admit, so what about performing a war dance in (or just outside) the shop in question?

cherokee
04-Aug-13, 19:01
Weren't Cherokees once (in)famous for scalping people they had problems with? That would be a bit extreme in this case, I admit, so what about performing a war dance in (or just outside) the shop in question?

With regards to the sentimentally of the bracelet, and IF I were a Cherokee Indian . . . . . (I'm actually a Christian and could never justify "revenge", though sometimes it's quite difficult to restrain oneself !!) x

secrets in symmetry
04-Aug-13, 20:32
With regards to the sentimentally of the bracelet, and IF I were a Cherokee Indian . . . . . (I'm actually a Christian and could never justify "revenge", though sometimes it's quite difficult to restrain oneself !!) xYou could cover a wig with fake blood and pretend you'd just scalped an "enemy". That might encourage them to come clean... :cool:

cherokee
20-Oct-13, 16:57
Hello to everyone who posted sound advice and were willing to help with my dilemma of a "majorly botched job" on a sentimental piece of jewellery!

I actually ended up sending my bracelet away to a very reputable company to get it fixed. Although it cost me £60 (!!) I must admit to being extremely pleased with the outcome and just wish that the initial "jeweller's" would have admitted to their mistake !! The (qualified) company who have made such a fantastic job of my bracelet, actually said they were utterly amazed and quite disgusted by the "extremely amateur" job done - completely uneven "soldering" , unfinished "polish" and basically an utter mess of a beautiful (and expensive) bracelet !!!! [evil]

Just a wee word of warning for anyone with a "precious" item of jewellery which may need alterations . . . don't use local jeweller's ; unless they can prove complete authenticity of what their capabilities are !!!!