PDA

View Full Version : What on earth is Sir John wearing?

Errogie
28-Jul-13, 14:22
Up for the 10 K Gala race and next day found myself eating a Johnstone's pie in Thurso town square under agricultural Sir John Sinclair's statue. Started to read the fading inscriptions then took a good look at the stone figure.

Perhaps it was an 18th. century fashion statement but what on earth is he wearing? Tights and an enormous sporran with some sort of plaid arrangement/bridal train flowing off his shoulder, haven't seen anything like it since a local kid I knew wore his underpants over his suit trousers. But then when I left home I always thought that Caithness sometimes tried too hard to follow southern fashions with the shortest mini skirts and longest hair!

joxville
28-Jul-13, 14:54
There's nowt wrong with southern fashions, though I no longer have much hair I can still get on my mini skirt! :-)))

PS I'm jealous about the pie, I miss having one so much :-(

Shaggy
28-Jul-13, 15:05
Up for the 10 K Gala race and next day found myself eating a Johnstone's pie

You won't be running many more 10K's if you continue eating their pies!

Errogie
29-Jul-13, 09:14
Ah but the Johnstone's pie is the reward for doing the run followed by a fish supper at La Mirage on the way home (the batter helps top up cholesterol levels). All good for a few more years in the old folks home plus it was essential preparation for the annual Durness games hill race on Friday!

thirsaloon
29-Jul-13, 14:52
He is wearing the uniform of the Rothesay and Caithness Fencibles, two battalions which were raised by Sinclair in 1794, instead of wearing the kilt they wore trew’s, I suppose a traditional Scottish trouser.