PDA

View Full Version : House needed ....just for a wee while

Alice in Blunderland
26-Jul-13, 14:36
Can anyone help poor Alice. She needs to find a house for her family for a little while due to works being carried out in her own home. I have tried all the usual places no joy, ideally I don't want to move the kids from school (Thrumster ) there's not many houses on the go I'm finding. I am happy to pay cash in advance and take on anything even if it's a house for sale that's empty. I will need it for three months but I'm happy to move out with one weeks notice if necessary...Weeboyagee here I come again lolAny one able to offer help or point me in the right direction. :)Three to four bedrooms ideally two bedrooms considered I'm at the point of considering hiring a caravan and plonking it in the garden.

rich62_uk
26-Jul-13, 22:26
Can anyone help poor Alice. She needs to find a house for her family for a little while due to works being carried out in her own home. I have tried all the usual places no joy, ideally I don't want to move the kids from school (Thrumster ) there's not many houses on the go I'm finding. I am happy to pay cash in advance and take on anything even if it's a house for sale that's empty. I will need it for three months but I'm happy to move out with one weeks notice if necessary...Weeboyagee here I come again lolAny one able to offer help or point me in the right direction. :)Three to four bedrooms ideally two bedrooms considered I'm at the point of considering hiring a caravan and plonking it in the garden.

Try facebook ... Type in Caithness & Sutherland property. Join and it will show you loads of places to let.

Dadie
26-Jul-13, 23:10
Its summer...I would be sorely tempted with a caravan in the garden too...if the house still had running water and an electric supply and access to washing machine etc too...
There was a 5 berth touring caravan for sale on the org for £300 so it would be pretty grim imho but if you get a half decent one at least you could get most of your money back on it or buy a static and resell afterwards (obviously not a brand new one) as they keep their prices quite well secondhand.
Either that or find a house/static caravan outwith the school bus catchment and " do the school run" yourself by car etc..

zarapopet
27-Jul-13, 09:13
try the council they may help

Fran
28-Jul-13, 00:54
There's a 4 star house to let in brown place but that's in wick. I think the big caravan in the garden would be a good idea if you can do washing in the house and best for the girls for their animals

Alice in Blunderland
28-Jul-13, 06:45
Thanks for the responses and private messages folks. m on holiday just now and this iPads a pain. I will try and answer all pms individually. if I can't I'm home end of next week and will get a move on answering. Fran can't use the house when we move out as all downstairs floors are being taken out :D

canuck
28-Jul-13, 20:19
What about a houseboat. That might be an interesting experience. It would certainly give you an adventure to remember.

Alice in Blunderland
17-Aug-13, 10:12
A big thank you to everyone who sent me messages on this. Weeboyagee has had a reprieve. I have now got a house for rent whilst the work is carried out on my one. here's hoping it's not long before we are back in our own house once again........oh and if anyone wants to know which building firm I wouldn't recommend send me a pm. If I were to post it on the org they would probably complain I'm not being fair to them........four years it's took for me to get my house fixed by the NHBC after their little goof !!!! Now who's being fair.

poppett
17-Aug-13, 15:19
Glad you got sorted with somewhere to stay.

Would the builders have been named after a colour........and a scottish clan perchance?

Big Gaz
17-Aug-13, 16:24
nah, they aint involved with the NHBC.....unless of course they made too many goofs....

Alice in Blunderland
17-Aug-13, 19:24
Thanks for the pms folks I've answered you all.

Iris
17-Aug-13, 22:16
Tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

Alice in Blunderland
18-Aug-13, 07:29
Sorry folks inbox emptied.

poppett
20-Aug-13, 16:55
Thanks for the "tea-break" yesterday...............Just call me Miss Marple in future!

Alice in Blunderland
20-Aug-13, 20:52
anytime I couldn't see a fellow otter go thirsty and I'm glad I could show you all the wee goofs with the house before they all get repaired. As the saying goes seeing is believing.

poppett
21-Aug-13, 17:28
I could not believe the state of your house. You can easily tell by the chill even on a hot summery day that there is little or no insulation, and the plumbing....least said soonest mended, although the idea of sitting at the dining table being rained on when one of the upstairs ensuite showers is being used didn`t delight me.

Bet you will be so pleased when the nightmare is finally over and you get your lovely house the way it should have been in the first place.

If we lived in Canada you could have got Mike Holmes to build it for you................at least he always gets it right, first time.

Alice in Blunderland
21-Aug-13, 18:12
Lol yes five bathrooms in the house only two in full working order lol all will soon be fixed.

joxville
22-Aug-13, 02:47
It seems worse than a furnished house I rented years ago Alice. On the evening I moved in I sat a bag of shopping on the kitchen floor and the drawer front on a Welsh dresser fell off onto the shopping. I fixed that then put the shopping away. Then went to make a cup of tea, only for the mixer tap spout to fall in the sink and a jet of cold water shot to the ceiling, when it had been fitted it hadn't had a grub screw put in behind the spout! Later that night when I closed the curtains one end of the curtain rail came away from the wall, and being heavy curtains on a thin rail it bent in the middle.

The next morning as I was showering I realised the slats on the homemade cubicle were installed wrong, the overlaps were to the wrong direction, meaning water ran down, exiting the cubicle into the bedroom. A few nights later I had a lady friend visiting, during a moment of passion one of the legs at the end of the bed snapped, the bed tilted, the headboard knocked against the bedside drawer sending the lamp to the floor where it smashed.

Four months after moving in I arrived home to see a small puddle on the kitchen floor, I looked up to see the ceiling bulging! It turns out that when the bath was installed there was an in-flow valve fitted the wrong way round, the water pressure had forced its way past the gland and had dripped out, eventually building up to a sizeable puddle which weakened the plasterboard, the water then dripped through to the kitchen.

All the work had been done by my mate who I was renting the house from, and although he had good ideas, he should have left it to someone else to do the work. Every time I fixed whatever was wrong I got a discount or a free months rent :-)

Alice in Blunderland
22-Aug-13, 05:31
yes Jox that sounds like my house lol. The funniest one was when the kitchen sink suddenly fell out. it's now wedged in place with a couple of bottles of fairy liquid under it. The shower above the dinning room has always been a bit iffy and if you are not careful it showers the dining room as well......it's a good way to get the floors washed.It often rains outside and inside the house and after much scratching of the heads and many various attempts at trying to fix the fault it's still a complete mystery to the builders as to what's going wrong. Now if they had invested a little of their profits into surveying the fault first to get a report on what's going wrong that would have helped but NO that would be too much like common sense. The ostrich approach was adopted stick your head the sand. The only problem is when you stick your head in the sand your erse sticks up......I think that the NHBC may come along and kick it for them....or recoup their costs either way it's going to hurt them not me! :D

poppett
22-Aug-13, 10:45
Hope it does get rectified for you soon. It has been a nightmare four (or is it five) years for you. I must ask this question......"Is there anything right about the house?"

I could not believe that the builders said you were being "too fussy". Which part of wind and watertight do they struggle with?

If all else fails there is always Cowboy Builders tv show.

secrets in symmetry
22-Aug-13, 11:11
If all else fails there is always Cowboy Builders tv show.What about a movie?

The Money Pit 2 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091541/)?

Alice in Blunderland
22-Aug-13, 12:14
What about a movie?The Money Pit 2 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091541/)?Brilliant idea but not sure whether it should be a comedy or a horror........after almost five years it could have been a murder but not a mystery as to who dun nit. Lol