PDA

View Full Version : Phone Signal?

Mr_Me19
30-Jan-07, 17:42
Im back! Lol. Not posted for a while. Not posted much.... lol. Has anyone else noticed that O2 and Vodafone (possible others) have no coverage today? Anyone know the cause?

Edit: And saying that both of us in the house suddenly got one bar.... Anyway the question still stands. Lol.

cookie
30-Jan-07, 17:50
Hi my phone is o2 and it seems to be ok,got 4 bars.

Mr_Me19
30-Jan-07, 17:52
I think people just like to prove me wrong... Lol. Not tryin to disagree here but i have been at school all day and got nothing. My gf got no signal either (who is on a different network) neither did my mum (also on a different network). Still have nothing at home unfortunately....

henry20
30-Jan-07, 18:08
I suppose it will depend where you are. If you are in Thurso, its still possible that a person from Wick has decent signal, but you don't.

Tugmistress
30-Jan-07, 18:08
Vodaphone definately struggling here, i am getting either no signal at all or just one bar every once in a while :(

Listener
30-Jan-07, 18:14
Only had the standard coverage from O2.. utterly poor. Since migrating from Orange to O2 I have been stunned at how unbelievably shocking their service is. Consistently without signal and when I make a call it cuts half way through.
But other than that service as normal!

jinglejangle
30-Jan-07, 18:55
no coverage on my vodafone [thurso area]

Geo
31-Jan-07, 00:02
Only had the standard coverage from O2.. utterly poor. Since migrating from Orange to O2 I have been stunned at how unbelievably shocking their service is. Consistently without signal and when I make a call it cuts half way through.
But other than that service as normal!

Where are you? O2 had the best coverage for me for years. Changed to Virgin mobile recently as the deal was too good to miss and it's been fine. Most of my friends are on O2 though and they think it's very good. Did you get a new phone when you migrated? If so perhaps it is faulty.

emb123
31-Jan-07, 01:10
I think it matters when the 'cell' is busy. Not sure how that impacts on the phone displays those who didn't 'get there first'. Each cell can only carry so many calls at one time (they vary by design, quota, location etc).

I've been on Orange for years and I live almost at the top of a hill, the nearest cell has a huge capacity and is located on top of a water tower which is probably only 500 yards away about and covers many miles (it's the highest point for 120 miles in any direction). For years my signal strength has been full almost all the time but now I've noticed it dropping to 1 or 2 bars on occasions and seldom above 3.

Somebody told me that '3' recently switched from using o2 as their 2G backbone to Orange so all 3 customers are now using Orange cells, effectively doubling the load (at least) on the Orange cells I suspect.

Maybe that's what's happening, i.e. the network is oversubscribed - too many people trying to use their phones at the same time for the cell to cope with the load ?

Geo
31-Jan-07, 02:57
Orange's customer base has allegedly shrunk considerably since they were sold a while back so I wouldn't think it is a capacity issue. You never know though.

Mr_Me19
31-Jan-07, 18:39
Hi. Im in thurso. It is back to normal now fortunately. Got a single bar occasionally last nite. Oh well i suppose this mystery is going to be left wide open for others to solve....

Listener
31-Jan-07, 22:41
Where are you? O2 had the best coverage for me for years. Changed to Virgin mobile recently as the deal was too good to miss and it's been fine. Most of my friends are on O2 though and they think it's very good. Did you get a new phone when you migrated? If so perhaps it is faulty.

Phone has been back 3 times and once to the manufacturer themselves, no fault found! O2 keep giving me discounts and money off my bills but insist there is no network issues. Although every time I really kick off with them and they get sick of me they pass me through to their network techies instead of the muppets things improve for a few days but soon revert to normal.