PDA

View Full Version : Joe from Celebrity Big Bro

alfie
30-Jan-07, 10:23
Hey folks - did anyone see the interview with Joe on GMTV this morning?
I would love to hear your views....
Can't believe what she must be going through and all because of a stupid TV programme that only shows what they want to show

Penelope Pitstop
30-Jan-07, 11:49
Hi,
Yes, I seen it as well..... and felt heart sorry for her. (I just hope she's not having a nervous break down.) Personally I think it's absolutely terrible the way those 3 girls are being persecuted by the press/media and other nutters who have issued them with death threats and smashed their house windows (Jade's), etc. (don't think they deserve that)

In the edited versions that were broadcast to us of what happened within the house their behaviour did them no favours. BUT from what's been said since it looks as if some of the NICE bits could have been edited out.....at the end of the day Big Brother had political licence to edit the programme any way they saw fit..obviously they wanted mega viewing figures..and they got them (although not for the right reasons).:~(

Even Jermaine Jackson said on GMTV on Monday morning that he had cried quite alot, but that had been edited out. So Big Brother obviously had their favourites in there and edited the programme footage accordingly.

I dare say some may think they are getting what they deserve - I don't. None of us are perfect. LOL

Naefearjustbeer
30-Jan-07, 11:59
I am afraid Big Brother has been on the go long enough now for us all to realise what is going on. It is very cleverly edited for BB own reasons. So if you go on the show then you have to be prepared to be shown as they want to show you. You are right nobody is perfect and stupid folk are more liabe to get stung as they wont realise what is going on. This is why Jade and co are in such hot water. If you smile 95% of the time and big brother dont want to portray you as smiley happy person they will only show the other 5% to the general public. I have no sympathy for any of them they wanted to go on the show so they have to take it on the chin.

DarkAngel
30-Jan-07, 12:01
Yes i watched it aswell and I also felt so sorry for her, But Big Brother has been going on long enuff for them all to realsie Editing will make them out too look worse than they are.

My heart strings were pulled today when Jo said she couldnt go home to family as they are disgusted with her and that she has No Friends. :(

Naefearjustbeer
30-Jan-07, 12:10
Yes i watched it aswell and I also felt so sorry for her, But Big Brother has been going on long enuff for them all to realsie Editing will make them out too look worse than they are.

My heart strings were pulled today when Jo said she couldnt go home to family as they are disgusted with her and that she has No Friends. :(

So called celebs go on these shows in the hope that it will revive flagging and non existant careers. However in this case it has backfired on her she is now in a worse off state. She will have some adviser somewhere telling her to cry and try to get the sympathy off of the nation to try and repair the damage she has caused. BB execs must of been rubbing there hands with glee when the merry mob started on Shilpa.

davem
30-Jan-07, 12:53
It doesn't really matter how it was edited, those 3 "poor" girls were thoroughly unpleasant in the bits that were not edited out. It doesn't really matter if it was racist either, it was certainly ignorant, having seen what was on T.V. I would not want to spend a minute with any one of them.
Big Brother has always irritated because of the way those running it treat people like laboratory rats, but this lot seemed to manage the nastiness without outside help; if you feel they are just misunderstood perhaps it's worth looking a little further for people who really deserve your sympathy.

Torvaig
30-Jan-07, 13:11
Oh well, like every other celebrity showtime, there is no such thing as bad publicity and it's what the public want.:roll:

Anyone for "org Big Brother"?:lol:

Penelope Pitstop
30-Jan-07, 15:38
I'm sure every one of us could have a few moments out of every day when we would appear unpleasant if edited for 10 - 15 seconds.......I know I'm not perfect! :confused

Grumpy old Mum/Dad syndrome probably takes place in most households every day...........I won't tell you again to get out of that bed and get ready for school, don't pick..eat your dinner, have you done your homework, stop dilly dallying and get off to bed........any of that sound familiar???? What about when you're at work - could no one ever see their boss or supervisor far enough??:lol:

midi2304
30-Jan-07, 16:49
I'm sure every one of us could have a few moments out of every day when we would appear unpleasant if edited for 10 - 15 seconds.......I know I'm not perfect! :confused

Grumpy old Mum/Dad syndrome probably takes place in most households every day...........I won't tell you again to get out of that bed and get ready for school, don't pick..eat your dinner, have you done your homework, stop dilly dallying and get off to bed........any of that sound familiar???? What about when you're at work - could no one ever see their boss or supervisor far enough??:lol:

It's slightly different telling someone to hurry up and get ready for school than suggesting Indians are thin because they don't eat there food properly.

I have absolutely zero sympathy for them. BB will always edit the programme they way they want but they knew that long before they went into the house. At the end of the day, if you don't give them anything bad to show (Jermaine / Shilpa) they can't edit it to make you look bad. What those girls did makes me embarrased to be British.

davem
30-Jan-07, 16:55
There is a big difference between grumpy and downright nasty.

connieb19
30-Jan-07, 19:39
At the end of the day, if you don't give them anything bad to show (Jermaine / Shilpa) they can't edit it to make you look bad.

Jade was made famous for being an idiot and she proved she's still an idiot. Isnt it funny though how nothing has been said about Jermaines calling folk "white trash"? :confused

Naefearjustbeer
30-Jan-07, 19:55
Jade was made famous for being an idiot and she proved she's still an idiot. Isnt it funny though how nothing has been said about Jermaines calling folk "white trash"? :confused

He told no lie if he was reffering to the troublesome trio :)

sam
30-Jan-07, 19:58
He told no lie if he was reffering to the troublesome trio :)

but is it not, still a racist remark [evil]

Naefearjustbeer
30-Jan-07, 20:05
Probally, This PC world we live in means it is ok for dark skinned folk to call each other by the bad N word. However of a white person uses it it is wrong. They can call us white trash or whatever and that is ok but we cannot return the compliment to them without racism being shoted from the rooftops.

Take this for an example. A young muslim girl takes her white boyfriend home. What kind of reception do you think he would get??? A lot worse than his parents would give her. I would reckon the white parents would more accepting than the muslim parents.

sam
30-Jan-07, 20:12
Probally, This PC world we live in means it is ok for dark skinned folk to call each other by the bad N word. However of a white person uses it it is wrong. They can call us white trash or whatever and that is ok but we cannot return the compliment to them without racism being shoted from the rooftops.

Take this for an example. A young muslim girl takes her white boyfriend home. What kind of reception do you think he would get??? A lot worse than his parents would give her. I would reckon the white parents would more accepting than the muslim parents.

that is exactly why i dont see why we should have to bow down to their every whim,
My mate and i was talking about this today and its sad that we are told we must like everyone who has a different colour of skin to us well WHY should we, after all we dont all like everyone who is white.
Its like to PC brigade telling us children have to say baa baa rainbow sheep what a load of bollocks, have any of you ever saw a rainbow sheep[disgust]

Naefearjustbeer
30-Jan-07, 20:16
I like to call a spade a spade but if the spade happens to be a different colour to my spade then I have to be very carefull how I refer to that spade. People of any colour or creed can be asses but if you call the darker coulours asses then you are racist but it is ok to call ourselves asses. You do not neeed to bring race or religion into the equation to get badged as a racist.

Penelope Pitstop
30-Jan-07, 20:18
It's slightly different telling someone to hurry up and get ready for school than suggesting Indians are thin because they don't eat there food properly.

I have absolutely zero sympathy for them. BB will always edit the programme they way they want but they knew that long before they went into the house. At the end of the day, if you don't give them anything bad to show (Jermaine / Shilpa) they can't edit it to make you look bad. What those girls did makes me embarrased to be British.

You haven't got the jist of my comment at all have you.......it's the editing point I am making...read the text!!!:confused I'm not on about what they said...no one could change what they said.

Naefearjustbeer
30-Jan-07, 20:26
You haven't got the jist of my comment at all have you.......it's the editing point I am making...read the text!!!:confused I'm not on about what they said...no one could change what they said.

But why feel sorry for them they must of known that the show would be edited. I know they are stupid but they (even Jade) must of known that BB was only going to use the bits that would generate media interest. It is not as if it is the first reality tv show and they were caught out unawares. They deserve everything they get. You either dont go on the show in the first place or be very carefull in what you say and do.

Penelope Pitstop
30-Jan-07, 20:39
But why feel sorry for them they must of known that the show would be edited. I know they are stupid but they (even Jade) must of known that BB was only going to use the bits that would generate media interest. It is not as if it is the first reality tv show and they were caught out unawares. They deserve everything they get. You either dont go on the show in the first place or be very carefull in what you say and do.

Well you're right......they really aren't that intelligent, that's the problem. And I don't think they really thought it through before they went in there. Once in there they got carried away with themselves...Jade because she was a "celebrity" (not in my eyes) and infallible. They other two were really stupid and followed the leader....they had different personalities before Jade came in and after she went out of the house.

At the same time I wouldn't wish any of them any misfortune or damage to their health.

Penelope Pitstop
30-Jan-07, 20:42
There is a big difference between grumpy and downright nasty.

Hi
You're not getting the jist of my comment either....read the text....my point is about the editing of the show.:D

Naefearjustbeer
30-Jan-07, 20:45
At the same time I wouldn't wish any of them any misfortune or damage to their health.

I am not condoning attacking them or breaking window in there houses or any other such nonsense. When I say they deserve what they got I meant the damage to there reputation. I suppose in a perverse way they are more famous now after the stint in the BB house but I dont think that is what they wanted the outcome to be. I dont think they are evil racist scum I just think they were stupid and got carried away by following a stupider ring leader.

Oh no I think I am turning into a thickist I must stop the anti thick behaviour LOL!! before I get named and shamed by the Sun newspaper.

blondscot
30-Jan-07, 21:37
Dont you think that it was strange that the first week jade went in there was no hassles and when the viewing figures of bb was really low , next thing you know jade and the others started, it seems kinda strange to me but the viewing figures then jumped sky high!! bb then paid for jades security and put her to a safe house!! I dont feel sorry for any of them as they knew what they were doing and now it seems as they are just trying to get more attention from the media. Are the death threats, vandalism etc etc really happening or is it all just a clever ploy, just as in the house?

Penelope Pitstop
30-Jan-07, 21:44
[ Are the death threats, vandalism etc etc really happening or is it all just a clever ploy, just as in the house?[/quote]

Who knows.........but one thing's for sure someone somewhere will still be making loads of money out of all this......even today their was a TV poll about it where you phoned in to vote!!!!!!!!

Suppose we are playing into their hands by talking about it and giving it a high profile...if everyone ignored it media hype would soon die out.:D

Naefearjustbeer
30-Jan-07, 21:45
No not strange at all. BB doing what it needed to up the ratings. Jade was a pawn in there game if only she was smart enough to realise it then things would of been different. You have to remeber this is the girl who was famous for her kebab.

stratman
30-Jan-07, 21:59
I can not believe that anyone from Sclub 7 would swear and smoke let alone anything else:lol:.

Naefearjustbeer
30-Jan-07, 22:05
I can not believe that anyone from Sclub 7 would swear and smoke let alone anything else:lol:.

Did the boys from that group not get caught with spliffs? in tyhe dim and distant past

jinglejangle
31-Jan-07, 00:01

i know i have thought long and hard over the name calling issues. one thing i wonder about is how come Scottish people are called Scots ; British people Brits but if someone from Pakistan has their name shortened it is racist? :roll:

Naefearjustbeer
31-Jan-07, 00:16
i know i have thought long and hard over the name calling issues. one thing i wonder about is how come Scottish people are called Scots ; British people Brits but if someone from Pakistan has their name shortened it is racist? :roll:

That is a very good point. I know I am guilty of using Chinky as a word to descibe a Chinese take away. However I do not have a problem with the Chinese and I would not ever call a Chinese person one. I also do not think it is an offensive word but I could see how some folk would think it was offensive. If I really did not like the chinese race I would not be frequenting the take away in the first place now would I.

midi2304
31-Jan-07, 17:11
but is it not, still a racist remark [evil]

Whoaaa horsey.... How is calling 3 trashy white girls, 'white trash' rascist? That's what they are. He wasn't insulting them based on the colour of there skin but based on them being horrible, horrible people.

Alice in Blunderland
31-Jan-07, 18:08

Good question so which word do you think sounds better ;
A person from Pakistan is a : Pakistani or Paki .

Not so long ago my parents would send me to the 'Paki' shop on the corner of the street and I thought nothing of it, but over the years this word has been used in more insulting tones than not frequently accompanied by the word 'black' ,so it has become generaly unacceptable.

The three girls involved in the bullying that went on inside the house dont deserve what they are getting now nor do I feel that they could have realised the extent to which they were being portrayed as racists but they signed up to allow big brother to edit/ broadcast as they saw fit and that is the risk they took. You cannot edit in bad behaviour bullying and racist comments but you can leave out their good bits. Yes we can argue that big brother worked it for the figures but these girls played right into their hands by behaving the way they did.

Big brother have a duty to protect the girls against the backlash as they helped create it .As for the threats and violence and everything else thats going on if Shilpa can forgive and move on then so should everyone else as it was her that was the victim of what happened not Joe Bloggs in the street.:) Just my humble opinion.

stratman
31-Jan-07, 21:36
Did the boys from that group not get caught with spliffs? in tyhe dim and distant past

No, surely not! (well yes they did). I always found that S club reminded me of the Double Deckers (if your old enough) so I am sure they are very British and clean living. You've been on board, You've been on board. You've been on board with the Double Deckers. Because laughter is what your after.................Tra La La

Alice in Blunderland
31-Jan-07, 21:39
No, surely not! (well yes they did). I always found that S club reminded me of the Double Deckers (if your old enough) so I am sure they are very British and clean living. You've been on board, You've been on board. You've been on board with the Double Deckers. Because laughter is what your after.................Tra La La

:eek: OMG what a blast from the past I had forgotten about them. :lol:

stratman
31-Jan-07, 21:53
If I really did not like the chinese race I would not be frequenting the take away in the first place now would I.

Not sure about that. I don't like th domination of Tesco et al and they sell animal products that I don't agree with but it suits me to shop there. Just a thought.

Penelope Pitstop
31-Jan-07, 22:08
I'd forgot all about them....where did they go to?? Never ever seen any repeats of them...that would have to be on Sky Gold Nineteen Oak Cake??:D

Dusty
31-Jan-07, 23:44
Whoaaa horsey.... How is calling 3 trashy white girls, 'white trash' rascist? That's what they are. He wasn't insulting them based on the colour of there skin but based on them being horrible, horrible people.

"White Trash" is an American ethnic slur according to Wikpedia and other sources.
If that is indeed the case then IMHO the comment must be considered racist as the objects of the comment were three Londoners, and a Scouser, members of an ethnic group surely. The use of the adjective white only serves to re-inforce the racist element.
However, it would appear to be the case in Britain that there is no such thing as white racism.
The same high profile given to the murders of members of "Ethnic Minorities" does not appear to be given to the murders of common or garden whites.
Sikhs obtained exemption from wearing Crash Helmets while riding motorbikes on the basis of religion. No similar dispensation has been granted to any white group that I know of. Muslim women (at least we are told that they are women but it could be anybody in that get up) are allowed to wear a full veil in some ridiculous circumstances. If a white woman was doing the same thing suspicions would be raised immediately.
I do not condone the alleged bullying that took place in the BB House but neither do I like the way these people have been left to take the rap by the programme's makers. And yes they should all have known better.
However, none of the foregoing changes the fact that the PC Brigade now have us all bending over backwards to avoid offending sections of society who now have more rights in this country than the whites. How many Church of Scotlands are there in the Middle East. Try telling the Saudi Government that you cannot comply with some of their laws as they interfere with your religious practices.
We have become too namby pamby for our own good by giving into all and sundry and I think that it is only a matter of time before Nazi-like rhetoric will start winning parliamentary seats and then we will be in real trouble.

Moira
31-Jan-07, 23:55

Not so long ago my parents would send me to the 'Paki' shop on the corner of the street and I thought nothing of it, but over the years this word has been used in more insulting tones than not frequently accompanied by the word 'black' ,so it has become generaly unacceptable.

The three girls involved in the bullying that went on inside the house dont deserve what they are getting now nor do I feel that they could have realised the extent to which they were being portrayed as racists but they signed up to allow big brother to edit/ broadcast as they saw fit and that is the risk they took. You cannot edit in bad behaviour bullying and racist comments but you can leave out their good bits. Yes we can argue that big brother worked it for the figures but these girls played right into their hands by behaving the way they did.

Big brother have a duty to protect the girls against the backlash as they helped create it .As for the threats and violence and everything else thats going on if Shilpa can forgive and move on then so should everyone else as it was her that was the victim of what happened not Joe Bloggs in the street.:) Just my humble opinion.

Some very true words being spoken here Alice - I understand where you are coming from - and as you say Shilpa has forgiven them & moved on. I actually watched quite a bit of this particular Big Brother series - more than I've done in the past - I saw jealousy & bullying - but I did not see the racist element at all until the media blew it all up into the furore it's become.

But then, I live & work in Caithness - I played in the streets here with a family of non-whites- who proceeded to establish several businesses in Caithness. They are a part of our community & I never thought nor would I seek to treat them any differently from anyone else here.

Jermaine Jackson has denied the "white trash" comment by specifying he was quoting someone else.

Much was made of Jade's Mum referring to Shilpa as the "the Indian" because she 'couldn't pronounce her name' . If I, as a Scot, had been there, would the media have "latched" onto the fact that one of my housemates could not pronounce my name - referred to me as "the Scot" & then called it racist. I think not.

Where do we begin & end with all of this?

My questions are not personal questions to Alice, of course, but part of the much bigger puzzle we must solve.

What would make it better?

Blazing Sporrans
01-Feb-07, 00:33
Sikhs obtained exemption from wearing Crash Helmets while riding motorbikes on the basis of religion. No similar dispensation has been granted to any white group that I know of.

There are a very few exceptions in law concerning certain offences. Scotsmen in national dress are permitted to carry what would otherwise be deemed to be offensive weapons by being allowed to carry a long sheathed dirk - not the sgian dubh but a dirk with a much longer blade (I'm sure someone must know the correct name for it!). It's very rare for this to be seen and you'll never get one out of the kilt hire shops, however I remember that an eccentric old architect from Inverness called William Bell used to go around in full highland dress on a daily basis. My understanding is that he was prosecuted over carrying an offensive weapon, however contested the charge citing his right to wear his traditional costume, of which this dirk was an integral part. He won his case and this exception has entered the domain of stated cases and can be used as a defence against such a prosecution. It's not a carte blanche defence though, as Willie would have been able to produce literally thousands of witnesses to highland dress being his chosen daily attire.

The_man_from_del_monte
01-Feb-07, 00:49
I don't watch GMTV but did catch a glimpse of these common as muck girls in action on that big brother car crash TV thing.... "celebrities"? If that's representative of a celebrity / role model then I'm packing up and moving to China..... what a bunch of foul mouthed, brainless, talentless, uninteresting people..... trailer trash IMO and as close to "celebrity" as I am to being a Peruvian feathered tail mountain goat. I can't believe I've just wasted 45 seconds typing this.

Moira
01-Feb-07, 02:14
I doubt anyone here is interested as to how fast you can type Del Monte Man. Your reply is as worthy of the time it takes to read it.

I don't watch GMtv either -several issues have been raised here & "celebrity status " ranks in the minority. The Caithness.org posters will have their say.

Metalattakk
01-Feb-07, 03:48
I don't watch GMTV but did catch a glimpse of these common as muck girls in action on that big brother car crash TV thing.... "celebrities"? If that's representative of a celebrity / role model then I'm packing up and moving to China..... what a bunch of foul mouthed, brainless, talentless, uninteresting people..... trailer trash IMO and as close to "celebrity" as I am to being a Peruvian feathered tail mountain goat. I can't believe I've just wasted 45 seconds typing this.

I can only concur.

I could even regurgitate my 'moron' post from the other thread. I stand by it still, by the way...

the nomad
01-Feb-07, 11:06

If the term Paki is racist then I for one do not want to be called Scots I am Scottish. Most sensible Pakistani, Indian and Chinese people would not take offence at abbreviating a name it's all part of blending in a muti cultural society.

I am pig sick of all this. We have become a nation where we have no voice or indentity and bow to the full beliefs of others, It takes only one racist card from a completely fool and its an international incident. Embrace the UK culture or leave that's my solution.

Alice in Blunderland
01-Feb-07, 14:37
If the term Paki is racist then I for one do not want to be called Scots I am Scottish. Most sensible Pakistani, Indian and Chinese people would not take offence at abbreviating a name it's all part of blending in a muti cultural society.

I think what I was trying to say was that the word 'paki' never used to be considered 'racist' but as time has moved on so has our language and use of certain words .When I hear people from Pakistan being to referred to as a bunch of 'Pakis' I recoil , rightly or wrongly, as it conjurs a negative feeling same as if you hear the term a bunch of 'chinks' when talking of chinese people it gives me the same feeling.Yes most people wouldnt mind abbreviating names, but its how its done and in what context. I also like to be refferred to as Scottish but dont mind scots or any other title, jock, northerner, country bumpkin, so long as it is said in the right context. I have called one of my children Nicola at times Nikki or Nik all shortened versions and all acceptable but if I change that to Zitty Nikki or Nik the Nit puts a different slant to shortened names, again its context and tolerance from the person on the receiving end.

I am pig sick of all this. We have become a nation where we have no voice or indentity and bow to the full beliefs of others, It takes only one racist card from a completely fool and its an international incident. Embrace the UK culture or leave that's my solution.

Yes embrace the uk culture but within the uk there is no place for racism ,bullying or anything else like that. You cant say, take it on the chin all part of being British, or can you? There are many British born sikhs muslims hindus born and bred in this country where do you suggest they go ? We do have a voice only not enough people are using it.

_Ju_
01-Feb-07, 18:33

Being called a Scot is not the same as being called a paki. Being called a jockie is, or being called a Mickey or a paddy if you are irish, or a Pom if you are english. Please do not confuse abreviation with slur. The difference is in the intent with which you use a word. There is not (at least usually) a slur behind the use of Brit or Scot as oposed with the use of the word Paki, Mickey, pom, rosbife, jockey, et al. These words are used used in a derogatory way, to make insinuations, alegations in a contemptuous or insulting manner.

Definitions incase someone is not familiar with the terms:
Jock, jocky or jockie (UK): A Scottish person, used by the English as an insult.[69] Same vein as the English insult for the French, as Frogs.

Mick, Mickey, Mickey Finn
a. (Britain, Commonwealth & U.S.) an Irish person or a person of Irish descent. From the prefix "Mc"/"Mac" meaning "son of" that is commonly found in Irish surnames. b. (Australia) a Roman Catholic [19th century on, from Michael].[77] Mickey Finn, a popular date rape drug.

North Rhins
01-Feb-07, 18:46
Being called a Scot is not the same as being called a paki. Being called a jockie is, or being called a Mickey or a paddy if you are irish, or a Pom if you are english. Please do not confuse abreviation with slur. The difference is in the intent with which you use a word. There is not (at least usually) a slur behind the use of Brit or Scot as oposed with the use of the word Paki, Mickey, pom, rosbife, jockey, et al. These words are used used in a derogatory way, to make insinuations, alegations in a contemptuous or insulting manner.

Definitions incase someone is not familiar with the terms:
Jock, jocky or jockie (UK): A Scottish person, used by the English as an insult.[69] Same vein as the English insult for the French, as Frogs.

Mick, Mickey, Mickey Finn
a. (Britain, Commonwealth & U.S.) an Irish person or a person of Irish descent. From the prefix "Mc"/"Mac" meaning "son of" that is commonly found in Irish surnames. b. (Australia) a Roman Catholic [19th century on, from Michael].[77] Mickey Finn, a popular date rape drug.

Since when has ‘Jock’ been a term of derision? Most Scottish regiments are referred to as the ‘Jocks.’ My Dads’ nickname since he moved from Skarfskerry to England fifty odd years ago has been ‘Jock.’ A Welshman is a ‘Taff,’ and an Irishman is a ‘Mick,’ or ‘Paddy.’ When I served with them it was a term of endearment, not derisory.

_Ju_
01-Feb-07, 19:06
Since when has ‘Jock’ been a term of derision? Most Scottish regiments are referred to as the ‘Jocks.’ My Dads’ nickname since he moved from Skarfskerry to England fifty odd years ago has been ‘Jock.’ A Welshman is a ‘Taff,’ and an Irishman is a ‘Mick,’ or ‘Paddy.’ When I served with them it was a term of endearment, not derisory.

Okidoki. Dem good ol' days, he?

North Rhins
01-Feb-07, 19:22
Okidoki. Dem good ol' days, he?
I am not referring to any other nationality other than those which make or made up the British Isles, i.e. my fellow countrymen or women. How does this relate to your attempt at an ‘Uncle Tom’s Cabin,’ reply? It’s misguided ideology such as yours which only helps to blur comments which are genuinely racist.

Oddquine
01-Feb-07, 20:21
I am not referring to any other nationality other than those which make or made up the British Isles, i.e. my fellow countrymen or women. How does this relate to your attempt at an ‘Uncle Tom’s Cabin,’ reply? It’s misguided ideology such as yours which only helps to blur comments which are genuinely racist.

Using and accepting the term Jock as a personal nickname is a different thing altogether to non-Scots using it as a generic term to describe a Scotsman/Scottish people.

It's all down to context and perception, and nowadays, if the context is hostile, the perception is that the term is abusive/racist.

I don't generally mind being called a Jock on forums, though I rarely am, ..........but I do resent it in the context of serious discussions on, say, devolution.