PDA

View Full Version : Girls Brigade

chamb
29-Jan-07, 15:22
Who out there was a member of the 1st Thurso Girls Brigade?

Who would like to see it up and running again??

Any one with an interest, or who did service, that would help get a new Brigade off the ground.

In my day the ranks were full, and people enjoyed going on a Tuesday Night.

Working towards your next badge, and getting shields and cups for your achievements.

You were part of a uniformed group, and getting recognised for it.

We did various activities, went away on camps, showing our commitment on parade, Learning about things from the Bible to everyday life, helping the community, doing sponssors to raise funds for the brigade.

Learning alot of the things that youngsters take for granted, or know nothing about. Take my 17 year old niece for instance she didnt know who built the ark??? something so simple, but part of history.

On a Tuesday night the programme would almost be the same, you would have different sections, but all going through the night learning, doing activities, a little something towards the work for your next badge and step up through the groups.

The Groups were Explorers, Juniors, Seniors, Brigaders, then once you had the Brigaders Brooch you could train to be an officer and put back what you got out of working through the ranks.

The Groups were aged between 4.5 to 75 there was no upper age limit.

I was part of the brigade until i was 17, and left to go to Uni, but i was a member from 4 years old. My sister went right through the ranks to become an officer, she was a member for 26years until she moved away. It was part of our household being in the brigade, something we did every Tuesday night.

At the time the Girls and Boys Brigade had a joint band, which consisted of the Bag Pipes, Buggle and Drums, but like the brigade it dwindled down.

So if any one out there would like to take an interest, or would like to put there name down to give help, or would like there kids to attend, please show interest in this forum, or PM with your contact details and i will try and get in touch asap, Thank You