PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone text addicts.

cuddlepop
29-Jan-07, 14:43
Are there any other parents that are pulling their hair out over their kids obsession with their mobile phones.
Mine spends a fortune on hers,luckily she has a wee job so the cost is hers.
Unfortunatly I think its becoming an addition that she has to text and her friends are switching their phones off to escape from her.
Have confiscated the mobile but I hate not being able to get a hold of her but dont know what else to do.
It should be funny but its not......Text Addicts Annonamous:~(

moncur
29-Jan-07, 14:51
Might be an idea to get them onto using msn messenger or any other type of interent messenger if you have a pc and internet at home. Its free and can chat to other friends when they're online.

cuddlepop
29-Jan-07, 15:02
Thanks Moncur.she uses all the internet chat rooms teanagers use and thats too many.
Its the obsession with her mobile thats not healthy:~(

foxy-jnr
29-Jan-07, 23:37
well personally i'm a teenager and i do like to text people and i also enjoy using msn and bebo and i see nothing wrong with it. it helps you keep in contact with your friends as i live in the country and most of my friends are in town. ;)

cuddlepop
30-Jan-07, 14:21
I agree its good to keep in touch this way especially if you live in the rural areas.
I'm talking obsession here though :~(

henry20
30-Jan-07, 14:50
IMO mobile phones are killing the art of conversation - as are call centres phoning. I no longer answer my house phone - most of the time its a call centre or someone I'd rather not talk to. I figure that, if its important enough, they will contact me on my mobile. Even then, most of my contact with friends/family is via text rather than phone call.

I also think its something your daughter will eventually grow out of - at least to the extent that she is at the moment. Just be grateful she is funding it herself - I know of some parents that have gotten contract phones for their kids and ended up paying over £100 a month. I would also be grateful that she obviously has a network of friends that she is in contact with. You would have a much unhappier daughter if she had a mobile phone that never received any texts or phone calls.

cuddlepop
30-Jan-07, 15:04
Unfortanatly she now has lost her few good friends because she is unable to leave the blasted mobile alone.
Part of the problem is her inability to see the social consequences of what she's doing.Tried taking the mobile from her that resulted in more problems:~( Like the alcholic were one drink is to many,one text is never eneogh they have to reply TB.:eek:

Glenys Hirst
30-Jan-07, 18:44
We won't let our boy have a mobile phone until he is 14!..At his school they are not allowed to take phones to school.

Julz
08-Feb-07, 01:02
Hi how's it goin? i'm a teenager rippin ma own hair out over my obsession with txtin i know it's costin me a fortune and i hate it bt i do love to keep in touch with my m8s! i have 2 solutions which may be worth a try

1 have u considered gettin an o2 genie sim card when topping up a £10 u get 300 free texts it's useful and it's a 1nce a month thing?

2 if not why dont u try to make a deal with ur daughter suggest she puts money in a piggy bank at home say £10 and this has to last her a month if she sticks by it reward her if not reduce the amount to £5 and so on this way she is more likely to save her txts for more important conversations or more interesting gossip, it's also a good way of teaching her how to budget in the future when she's older and has to live by herself with bills etc

i tried option 2 and it really helped me! it's just a suggestion?

How r u cuddlepop our fav campers? lol!

Hope this helps! :D

Jeid
08-Feb-07, 01:28
I suggest a good whippin :D

chocolatechip
08-Feb-07, 17:40
I love keepin in contact with ma m8s and family i cn talk 2 them any where i go but i do have 2 say i have cut down on my txtin alot and my 300 free txts last longer.... i love txtin as i live in a rual place but most of my family & friendz live futher down than here and i do talk 2 them on msn cuz thts free and ur thumb dosnt get sore when u type lol.... PS have fun on msn and txtin :D

danc1ngwitch
08-Feb-07, 17:48
Yeah but wait, then when Mum gets one single text they run to Mums phone to. lol

Glenys Hirst
08-Feb-07, 18:46
I love texting..I'm on Orange network..and I get 600 free texts a month as long as I top up £10 each month.I also get free evening calls to other Orange networks. I keep in touch with my friend in Ireland and enjoy recieving and sending friends jokes.

cuddlepop
08-Feb-07, 19:17
[quote=Julz;189041]Hi how's it goin? i'm a teenager rippin ma own hair out over my obsession with txtin i know it's costin me a fortune and i hate it bt i do love to keep in touch with my m8s! i have 2 solutions which may be worth a try

1 have u considered gettin an o2 genie sim card when topping up a £10 u get 300 free texts it's useful and it's a 1nce a month thing?

2 if not why dont u try to make a deal with ur daughter suggest she puts money in a piggy bank at home say £10 and this has to last her a month if she sticks by it reward her if not reduce the amount to £5 and so on this way she is more likely to save her txts for more important conversations or more interesting gossip, it's also a good way of teaching her how to budget in the future when she's older and has to live by herself with bills etc

i tried option 2 and it really helped me! it's just a suggestion?
Hi Julz,
Jen's on vodaphone who give you free weekend texts and phonecalls as long as you spend £5 through the week.The cost of calls are her problem as she works so she has to pay for her own calls.
My phone still used though as her arguement is "oh mummm your calls are half price for another two months its cheaper to use yours..... please"
I give in :(
Hopefully we'll be happy campers late June.
What did teenagers do before mobiles?

Lucy
09-Feb-07, 08:50
My niece had this problems with texting morning noon & night, it was also costing her a fortune. My brother in law got so fed up with it he took the phone from her and jumped on it smashing it to bits. this happended a couple of time until she got fed up having to pay for a new phone as well as the cost of the texts. A bit severe & temper tantrums followed but she is now cured.

cuddlepop
09-Feb-07, 11:04
My niece had this problems with texting morning noon & night, it was also costing her a fortune. My brother in law got so fed up with it he took the phone from her and jumped on it smashing it to bits. this happended a couple of time until she got fed up having to pay for a new phone as well as the cost of the texts. A bit severe & temper tantrums followed but she is now cured.
Oh LucyI'd have loved to have done this many a time.
It gets so bad when we're out that i've wanted to through the blasted phone away but so far have resisted.
We're trying to restict access and switching off at certain times.We have to take control of the situation before she's left in total isolation.:~(