PDA

View Full Version : "peedie beach"

elastic band
12-Jul-13, 15:31
Can anyone tell us how to get to above beach please -heard it's lovely but no idea where it is or how to get there -also looking for ideas "up west" -keep hearing about lovely beaches and coves but no idea where to start looking. Visitors coming soon so looking for ideas for teenagers and thought they might like to try swimming and BBQ's in secluded places

many thanks for any advice / suggestions

wicker
12-Jul-13, 15:57
Best place up west I think is durness, was looking it up yesterday and seems to fit with the beaches and coves

elastic band
12-Jul-13, 16:21
thank you for prompt reply -much appreciated

Murdo
12-Jul-13, 16:59
Theres a fantastic beach at Coldbackie just east of Tongue. Quite a steep walk down but one of the best along the North coast

Clio88
12-Jul-13, 17:08
for peedie beach you need to go towards Mary Ann's cottage in Dunnet follow the road as it swings right. follow the road until it ends there is a metal gate for you to go through follow the track until you get to the cliff where if cuts into the cliff down to the beach bellow, you will need to climb on a few rocks at the bottom but as far as i can remember its not that many its a great beech and even has its own rock pool that's great for small kids. however if you fancy a really nice walk you could park at Dwarick pier (turn right at the junction at Mary Ann's cottage and follow the road right to the bottom) and follow the track over the hill it runs right along the cliff and is beautiful on a calm day

Another place that can be secluded is the pier at Brough if you go when the tide is out you can follow the cliff on the right round to a small beach but I don't think it has sand just pebbles I haven't been round in about 10/15 years so i can't remember how easy is is to get there but I went as a child a few times so it cant be that hard.

I agree with Wicker Durness would be nice there is also, Strathy and Melvich they have nice beaches or so I've been told. just about anywhere out west will be amazing I love taking a run out to Durness.

Sorry if my directions aren't great it's not something i'm very good at. Peedie beach is my favourite, Growing up in Dunnet it's the one I preferred to go to. However if you get the weather right anywhere will be great one of the joys of Caithness/ Sutherland.

wicker
12-Jul-13, 18:13
Thank you clio88, quite intrigued now myself on the places you have just advised on, must go a wee wander round them also :-)

ywindythesecond
12-Jul-13, 18:14
for peedie beach you need to go towards Mary Ann's cottage in Dunnet follow the road as it swings right. follow the road until it ends there is a metal gate for you to go through follow the track until you get to the cliff where if cuts into the cliff down to the beach bellow, you will need to climb on a few rocks at the bottom but as far as i can remember its not that many its a great beech and even has its own rock pool that's great for small kids. however if you fancy a really nice walk you could park at Dwarick pier (turn right at the junction at Mary Ann's cottage and follow the road right to the bottom) and follow the track over the hill it runs right along the cliff and is beautiful on a calm day

Another place that can be secluded is the pier at Brough if you go when the tide is out you can follow the cliff on the right round to a small beach but I don't think it has sand just pebbles I haven't been round in about 10/15 years so i can't remember how easy is is to get there but I went as a child a few times so it cant be that hard.

I agree with Wicker Durness would be nice there is also, Strathy and Melvich they have nice beaches or so I've been told. just about anywhere out west will be amazing I love taking a run out to Durness.

Sorry if my directions aren't great it's not something i'm very good at. Peedie beach is my favourite, Growing up in Dunnet it's the one I preferred to go to. However if you get the weather right anywhere will be great one of the joys of Caithness/ Sutherland.

That says it all EB except don't go at full tide cos then there is not much beach! (It is after all, "peedie")

gingernut
12-Jul-13, 19:29
Can anyone tell us how to get to above beach please -heard it's lovely but no idea where it is or how to get there -also looking for ideas "up west" -keep hearing about lovely beaches and coves but no idea where to start looking. Visitors coming soon so looking for ideas for teenagers and thought they might like to try swimming and BBQ's in secluded places

many thanks for any advice / suggestions
Farr Bay at Bettyhill is a lovely beach. Also there's a lovely beach at Talmine near Tongue which is very accessible and has picnic tables nearby for your barbecue.
Hope you have a great time and hope the weather stays warm and sunny for you. :)

Kevin Milkins
12-Jul-13, 19:59
however if you fancy a really nice walk you could park at Dwarick pier (turn right at the junction at Mary Ann's cottage and follow the road right to the bottom) and follow the track over the hill it runs right along the cliff and is beautiful on a calm day

A few years ago Mrs M and myself were fishing off Dwarick pier and we observed a family and friends group with small children were on there way back to there car after a day out at this beach.

One of the children, a girl of about nine years old was doing rolly pollys down the bank and when she got up feeling dizzy she fell over the cliff onto the rocks below.

Kodiak
12-Jul-13, 20:55
If you do not mind a long walk then you can not find a better beach than Sandwood Bay. There is no road to this beach and that is what keeps it perfect.

http://i.imgur.com/XAg8xGv.jpg

ducati
12-Jul-13, 21:31
A few years ago Mrs M and myself were fishing off Dwarick pier and we observed a family and friends group with small children were on there way back to there car after a day out at this beach.

One of the children, a girl of about nine years old was doing rolly pollys down the bank and when she got up feeling dizzy she fell over the cliff onto the rocks below.

Blimey Kevin! :eek:

new driver
12-Jul-13, 23:48
Check out the Ranger walk on July 17th as it goes to Dwarwick Head and the Peedie Sands.

Hoida
13-Jul-13, 10:58
What about Armadale Beach? There is a right of way from the village. Very quiet and secluded:roll:

George Brims
15-Jul-13, 17:22

Well put us out of our misery - was she OK?

orkneycadian
15-Jul-13, 17:28
Just like McDonalds tried to lay claim to the trade mark of "Mc" as a prefix before anything else, we Orcadians have trademarked the word peedie. Peedie beaches can only exist in Orkney, just like Stornoway Black Pudding can only come from Stornoway! ;)

Shaggy
15-Jul-13, 18:05
Just like McDonalds tried to lay claim to the trade mark of "Mc" as a prefix before anything else, we Orcadians have trademarked the word peedie. Peedie beaches can only exist in Orkney, just like Stornoway Black Pudding can only come from Stornoway! ;)

Aye, and just like Caithness Glass can only come from Caithness......OR NOT!!

Kevin Milkins
15-Jul-13, 23:42
Well put us out of our misery - was she OK?

We phoned an ambulance and they took her to Wick general and then flew her on to Aberdeen. It was difficult to get any information from the hospital or the ambulance crew because of confidentiality.

One of the party phoned a few days later and said she was doing ok, but we only hoped that she made a full recovery.

If you saw the height that she fell from and what she landed on I would consider her to be very lucky.

elastic band
16-Jul-13, 02:17
Thank you to everyone who responded to my original questions -we appreciate you taking the time and making the effort to help.

richardj
16-Jul-13, 20:50
One of my favourite beaches is at Talmine. After Tongue, after you cross the causeway turn right and the single track road takes you to Talmine. http://www.caithnessandsutherland.com/talmine-caithness-scotland.jpg