PDA

View Full Version : Cruising Scotland (northern part)

Thonord
10-Jul-13, 21:02
Summer has arrived in the "Great Glen". Phew, whats going on? Am I in the Med.? Stationary high pressure. 25+ deg Centigrade everywhere.
Looking foreward to sailing up to the Caithness. Ppl tell me its cooler up there.

Came across from Norway last week. Have spent a 6 days on the Caledonian - due to breakdown of a lock. No hardship, have had a wonderful time. Salt water again to morrow at Corpach.

Tom:Razz

ducati
10-Jul-13, 21:18
Summer has arrived in the "Great Glen". Phew, whats going on? Am I in the Med.? Stationary high pressure. 25+ deg Centigrade everywhere.
Looking foreward to sailing up to the Caithness. Ppl tell me its cooler up there.

Came across from Norway last week. Have spent a 6 days on the Caledonian - due to breakdown of a lock. No hardship, have had a wonderful time. Salt water again to morrow at Corpach.

Tom:Razz

Hi Tom, Lovely day here today (after lunch) but not too hot. We were basking in 80 degrees F on Sunday but cooled down a bit now. Once you get in the Pentland firth the breeze will cool you down. What Vessel name so we can track your progress?

colingel
10-Jul-13, 21:37
Hi Thonord You still hope to head for Scrabster ?

Even Chance
11-Jul-13, 08:39
6 days stuck inland is enough, especially in that heat. Bet you cant wait to lock-out again. I will look out for you in Wick. What make/name is your yacht?

Thonord
11-Jul-13, 18:51
Vessels name is "in transit". 44' Bavaria. We don't carry a AIS transponder, so you won't find us on "marinetraffic".

Currently in Oban for a couple of days. Will prolly round Cape Wrath in approx. 10 days.

Thonord
11-Jul-13, 18:53
Yes, Scrabster is certain.

Thonord
11-Jul-13, 18:58
Wick is our final port of call before return Norway. Don't know when, we did have a sort of plan, but we enjoy ourselves to much in Scotland.

colingel
11-Jul-13, 19:14
Will watch for u in scrabster You will likely be berthed close to me

Thonord
20-Jul-13, 18:06
Arrived Kinlochbervie 15:30 today. Scrabster probably mon - tuesday. Don't supose we will find a pontoon, but asuming visitors moorings. Any advice? Do we need to request in advance thru harbour master? Mooring colors?

colingel
20-Jul-13, 19:11
No pontoons at moment Plenty moorings against wall Catemaran in at moment she leaves Monday but think local boat will go back on mooring then

Even Chance
22-Jul-13, 08:08
Are there no visitor pontoons kept free in Scrabster? Thats no great to hear at all, and certainly no very yacht friendly. I suppose, cos its full of fishing boats anyway.

Thonord, you will get plenty of walk-ashore pontoon space, full amenities and friendly folk in Wick Marina for sure. Its more leisure orientated.