PDA

View Full Version : Canine orthopaedics / physiotherapy

Tilly Teckel
08-Jul-13, 23:54
Would anyone know of someone experienced in canine orthopaedics / physiotherapy, please?

My dog has been seen by the vet for suspected muscle/tendon damage to her back legs and we're waiting on them getting back to us with some idea of what can be done. She's just on pain meds and enforced rest at the moment.

In the meantime I'm wondering if there's anyone local who may have worked with racing Greyhounds or similar, as they're often very knowledgeable in this area. Molly is a lovely Lurcher in her prime and it's awful to see her like this.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Dadie
09-Jul-13, 00:30
GG thats awful!
Been there with our old springer spaniel...he tore a cruciate ligament and thats blinking uncomfortable (been there done that ..knee not the same again etc)
Benson didnt make it past the pre op anesthetic before he past away ...so cage to ensure rest if poss if its just a small tear and keep health to an optimum in preparation for surgery! Oh and ask about the painrelief side effects as well as when is best to administer....I could go all day without painkillers(saves on side effects as most painkillers attack the tum or liver function)but nighttime pills was needed...as moving on the joint caused more probs and through awake hours I could regulate movements etc..to avoid pain...so might be an option to crate through the day to keep pain relief on the lightest dosage...and bump up for nighttime!
its a big op but it is really the only option for the knee to function properly....and the recovery period is quite long (in humans) never got to find out for dogs other than it was v. expensive!

newweecroft
12-Jul-13, 19:44
Dadie, I'm sorry to ask this but I hope you won't mind. Where did Benson receive the pre op anesthesia? East Neuk?