PDA

View Full Version : Why don't all companies take note!

Beat Bug
08-Jul-13, 14:47
Had a delivery from Wickes today. Driver said they realised they weren't doing much trade north of Inverness, so they reduced their delivery charge from £85 to £20, and business with Caithness is now booming! If all other businesses followed suit, everyone would be better off!

Big Gaz
08-Jul-13, 15:29
Many years ago, a small building company i worked for in Cumbria charged £25 per delivery (up to 25 miles from depot) one day, it was pointed out to them by one very annoyed customer that they were more often than not, making more profit from the 8-10 delivery charges each vehicle was making a day than the actual branch was from the sale of the goods on the vehicle. Then they were bought out by a big named company who raised promptly the delivery charges (£40 minimum) and suddenly wondered why nobody was buying from them. Everyone was calling the builders merchant down the lane from us. So the company promptly got rid of 3 drivers and trucks (i was one of the drivers) stating there was no need due to lack of business but decided to lower the delivery rates anyway (back to £25) to try and drum up more business. Unfortunately for them, the merchant down the lane promptly bought the 3 trucks off the local dealer, had them resprayed and liveried over the course of the week, called me and the other two drivers and started us the following monday. I had never seen a builders merchant so busy and apart from the good prices, the main reason was free delivery! people who were previously trundling into the yard to buy something small were suddenly getting it delivered for free! something the big name company didn't get their head round until it was too late.

pat
08-Jul-13, 17:47
One firm has introduced a charge of £10 if you buy less than 10 items. I am having to think twice whether it will be worth me paying the extra £10 or shopping locally. Have decided to shop locally, this wholesaler are losing whatever business I used to give them as often I did not order more than 10 items but sometimes I did, wonder how many other people are going down the same route with this firm and not bothering to order due to the £10 charge?

mi16
08-Jul-13, 20:07
Had a delivery from Wickes today. Driver said they realised they weren't doing much trade north of Inverness, so they reduced their delivery charge from £85 to £20, and business with Caithness is now booming! If all other businesses followed suit, everyone would be better off!Apart from the local outlets of course

Big Gaz
08-Jul-13, 23:09
so what was it you bought from Wickes that you couldn't get locally for the same price?

telfordstar
09-Jul-13, 10:54
so what was it you bought from Wickes that you couldn't get locally for the same price?

Im guessing that locally was dearer hence going to wickes...........