PDA

View Full Version : Sign up now for donor transplant

Nwicker60
03-Jul-13, 18:28

MSPs join forces with Dounreay

Highlands and Islands Labour MSP, Rhoda Grant, and Councillor Roger Saxon have teamed up with the largest employer in Caithness, "Dounreay Site Restoration Ltd", to encourage people to sign up to the Organ Donor Register ahead of National Transplant Week which is being held between the 8th - 14th July.
Rhoda Grant MSP hosted a stand at the site on Tuesday 2nd July, in order to engage directly with Dounreay staff and encourage them to participate in a "Sign-up Week" during which staff at the site will be given time during work hours and use of computers in order to sign up to the Organ Donor Register on-line.
A member of the Dounreay site staff, Jonathan Christie, who received an organ transplant was also on site to speak with his colleagues about his own experience.
National Transplant Week posters have been placed around the site and links to register as a donor on-line have been circulated to staff.
Forty-one per cent of the Scottish population is signed up to the NHS ODR - the highest percentage in the UK. The UK as a whole has 31% signed up. 600 people remain on the active transplant waiting list in Scotland. 356 solid organ transplants were undertaken in 2012-13 in Scotland - 285 of those were from deceased organ donors.
People can sign up to the register online at http://www.organdonationscotland.org/register-now (http://www.organdonationscotland.org/register-now) or text ODSCOT to 61611 to register via a mobile phone.
As part of the campaign to raise awareness, Rhoda Grant has also lodged a motion in Parliament marking National Transplant Week which has already attracted the support of 34 MSPs.
Mrs Grant said:"I am delighted that Dounreay have agreed to give staff the opportunity to sign up to be organ donors ahead of National Transplant Week. Only around a third of the UK population are currently registered as organ donors and working with employers to raise awareness can help boost this figure. Sadly around 1,000 people in the UK die every year waiting for an organ transplant, we can reduce this figure as the more people who join the register, the more lives could be saved."
Jonathan Christie said:"I was very lucky to have a "live" donor and was only on dialysis for a year, but during that time I lost much of my quality of life. Since the transplant I am able to do everything I did before with no restrictions, and it’s fair to say that my donor gave me back my life."
Mrs Grant continued:"Its only takes around 5 minutes to sign up as an organ donor on-line. 'Pass It On' is this year’s campaign message – those who do sign up need to make their family and friends aware they want to donate organs. Over 90% of families will agree to a donation if a loved one is registered and discussed their wishes."