PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone beat this?

wkgeorge
27-Jan-07, 09:57
My folks have been in a council house for 43 years, having bought only a few years ago and they still have the original interior doors and black door knobs also original bathroom, bath etc (not diy people i must say) but still looks good.

Torvaig
27-Jan-07, 11:22
Good for them! They are now in the height of fashion in being "retro"! Just goes to show, having the latest in fashion is not necessary; it always comes round again. :)

I'm waiting for my avocado suite to become fashionable again..... ;)

peedie wifie
27-Jan-07, 11:57
Good for them! We're always told we live in a "throw away" society they are a superb example of "why fix it if it ain't broke"
They could sell it with all the original features - bound to generate a lot of interest!!

trinkie
27-Jan-07, 12:17
That's the best thing I have heard in a long time .

Good for them. No ''Keeping up with the Joneses'' there I think?

I'd get on well with your parents - we must be about the same age, and I have a really old kitchen too - nearly 40yrs - but it's still working and I simply refuse to get a new one.
My husband keeps nagging me to replace my beautiful kitchen - but I will not. Instead, I tell him to buy me an original oil painting or two. I cannot imagine spending so much money on a Kitchen ! What have we come to ?

Anyway I cant cook !
Trinkie

mareng
27-Jan-07, 12:42
I still have the Zanussi washing machine that I bought in 1984.

It has had two door seals and a couple of door catches renewed in that time, but otherwise has been faultless.

I have managed to pick up a spare motor, programmer and complete door along the way (free) - so hopefully won't be looking for a replacement machine in the near future.

I don't suppose they still make that model?????

henry20
27-Jan-07, 13:01
Oh, Mareng - you should have kept quiet! It'll probably go within a week now :lol:

dozy
27-Jan-07, 13:34
Well sorry to say but yes .My mother and father moved into downtoon thurso in 1952 a few years after the houses were built they were the second tenent ,the house still has the same old doors and even the bathroom suit is in perfect nik and the handbasin has those cast iron brackets to hold it to the wall .Even the tapbodies are original but the handles were chanced but they keep the old ones.The inside off the cupboards and the backlobby/coalhole are still lined with T&G cedarwood .The walls are still mainly lath and plaster ,the workmanship and finish would put todays so called tradesmen to same .All built with good old caithness stone walls 2 ft thick ,great or what ???

henry20
27-Jan-07, 14:20
Was that a council house? The house I'm in is more a case of 'they should have been ashamed to call themselves tradesmen' :roll: When I dismantled my 'coalhole' there was very little wood strips behind - I use more substantial sticks to start my fire and its a miracle any sheeting stayed up! :roll:

obiron
27-Jan-07, 14:41
Good for them! They are now in the height of fashion in being "retro"! Just goes to show, having the latest in fashion is not necessary; it always comes round again. :)

I'm waiting for my avocado suite to become fashionable again..... ;)

an avocado suite thinking your gonna be waiting a long time for that to be fashionable. lol

fred
27-Jan-07, 14:44
I'd get on well with your parents - we must be about the same age, and I have a really old kitchen too - nearly 40yrs - but it's still working and I simply refuse to get a new one.

Me too, I've still got and use the exact same axe my great grandfather cut wood with 150 years ago.

And in all that time it's only ever had two new heads and three new handles.

trinkie
27-Jan-07, 14:54
WELL,
(competition time here)
We are still using the Bread Knife the Wick Scouts gave to my parents when they married in the 1930s. ! though it needs a new handle !

Bought Sliced Bread - Never !

Over to you...

Angela
27-Jan-07, 15:03
And in all that time it's only ever had two new heads and three new handles.

Still the exact same axe though Fred? :lol:

hotrod4
28-Jan-07, 20:05
Well i can beat you all!!!!.
I am carying the same Genes that my prehistoric relations had. They have passed their expertise and looks!! down to me but i must admit the newer model is a bit bonnier that the original!!!.
Well done on the house it is true if it aint broke dont try and fix it!, well thats what i tell the wife when she wants a new Washing Machine, cooker. Hoover etc.

I hastened to add to her that cars are exempt from this rule as i drive the car not the cooker!! (Tried once when drunk went broadside into the fridge!!)

Woolie
28-Jan-07, 21:08
My parents have a light blub from the 60s lol they even took it from where they used to live to there home now cause in them days money was tight.

The Angel Of Death
28-Jan-07, 23:05
My parents have a light blub from the 60s lol they even took it from where they used to live to there home now cause in them days money was tight.

Like yourself they must have broken the mold when they made that light bulb !!!

jay
28-Jan-07, 23:47
Mum's been in her house since 1953 - still the same interior doors and handles - problem is she's painted the doors that often none of them actually close properly now! still won't hear of replacing them tho'