PDA

View Full Version : Just when you thought the horse meat in burgers scandal was over....

Big Gaz
30-Jun-13, 22:25
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/meat-diseased-cattle-sold-defra-022232222.html

time to turn veggie?.....

Dadie
30-Jun-13, 22:36
No...Just buy meat from a local butcher..not proccessed junk.
The meat from a local butcher shows the LOCAL FARM where the meat came from.
More reasons to use local wee shops than supermarkets for meat over accountibility of the meat ...no horse, no TB and sustainability i.e. helping local farmers etc!

Big Gaz
30-Jun-13, 23:41
I totally agree with you Dadie and i personally only eat meat from a local source but people are used to buying cheap meat from supermarkets and now they are aware of the issues, they baulk at the price of meat from local butchers, if only because they never used them before and therefore haven't a clue what the meat should cost. It's all about accountability and responsibility, something thats severely lacking in this case i have highlighted.

Having been a fridge driver working continental, i wouldn't touch a scrap of any foreign meat whatsoever and that has been for a good number of years. When at one abbatior/coldstore in Belgium a number of years ago i saw truckloads of rotting carcasses and animals with huge septic, bleeding sores on them being put forward for processing and piles of meat outside in the sun and rain and covered in dust and other crap with trucks parked next to them with the engine running and belching black smoke over it all and still have the picture in my mind of a dog wandering past and taking a bite then marking their spot so as to warn off other dogs, likewise a swarm of rats running over and eating the meat before a worker came out with a shotgun and fired it at them....straight into the meat! and that was to be packed and blast frozen for my load to the UK. I lost that job due to not keeping quiet about the state of the produce and i would do exactly the same again if it happened today!

Never think that because your pack of meat says "British" on it, that it comes from Britain! In early 2005 i was sent to pick up a truck load of frozen meat from a cold store. Whilst waiting in the drivers room i noticed a bunch of workers were bringing out slabs of meat on pallets onto the loading bay, taking the pallets apart, throwing the odd slab in the skip and doing what looked like opening the bags and resealing them again. It wasn't until i walked over to see what was going on that i noticed they were taking off an oval EEC "NL" label that was dated 1984 and putting a new EU style "UK" label dated 2005 before putting the pallets into my trailer. I then took it all to a processing plant that had a huge sign stating "working in conjunction with XXXXXXXXX to bring you the finest food" it was a well known supermarket's name on the gate sign. that meat had been packed in 1984 in Holland and probably brought to the UK then and sat in the cold store for at least 21 years. It was then relabeled as freshly packed in 2005. question is, how old was it really and where did the meat come from originally? because it sure as hell wasn't British!

Rheghead
01-Jul-13, 00:00
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/meat-diseased-cattle-sold-defra-022232222.html

time to turn veggie?.....

No, probably not a good idea to turn veggie as it is an unobtainable goal for most. Don't suddenly declare to your friends and family that you are a veggie as that makes you a target if you fail. There is nothing that meateaters like more than a failed veggie, it makes them feel superior and justified. I recommend having 1 or 2 meat free days per week just to be going on with. But make them meals special, experiment with vegetarian food, make them a part of your weekly routine and certainly something to look forward to in the week.

Alrock
01-Jul-13, 00:15
Did you actually read the article or just the over dramatic headline....

"The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has confirmed there are no known cases where TB has been transmitted through eating meat and the risk of infection from eating meat, even if raw or undercooked, remains extremely low."

ducati
01-Jul-13, 08:07
No, probably not a good idea to turn veggie as it is an unobtainable goal for most. Don't suddenly declare to your friends and family that you are a veggie as that makes you a target if you fail. There is nothing that meateaters like more than a failed veggie, it makes them feel superior and justified. I recommend having 1 or 2 meat free days per week just to be going on with. But make them meals special, experiment with vegetarian food, make them a part of your weekly routine and certainly something to look forward to in the week.

I did it 'cold turfkoo' [lol]

Big Gaz
01-Jul-13, 08:45
i read the article completely Alrock, the point is not that there are no known cases of TB caused through eating infected meat, it's the fact that infected meat is in the food chain and was knowingly and deliberately put there by the controlling body (DEFRA). DEFRA and other govt bodies are there to protect us from such misdoings yet here they are putting infected meat on the open market. Also there is the point that whether or not the meat is safe to eat, at no point were joe public informed that the meat was infected though i can see the problem if joe public was informed as the meat would end up being destroyed due to no-one wanting to eat it but this article just shows what is going on behind our backs and by our very own government too!

Southern-Gal
01-Jul-13, 08:57
The farmer is compensated for every cow that has to be culled due to TB. Where do people think the money comes from? Wake up!

Big Gaz
01-Jul-13, 09:11
The farmer is compensated for every cow that has to be culled due to TB. Where do people think the money comes from? Wake up!

and what has that statement got to do with DEFRA selling the infected meat, thus putting it into the food chain? we all know farmers get compo but i bet you didnt know you would be seeing the infected meat on general sale to the public.

newweecroft
01-Jul-13, 11:07
Indeed, if it is going to used and not incinerated due to the need to compensate the farmer the. It really should only be going into the pet food market and the cheap end products at that.
Or we could export it to Africa, there are no legal requirements re Food chain information disease notification/ withdrawal periods over there. By the by, don't buy African beef, regardless of how cheap you are.

Butchers prices are high gaz, but only because people are to lazy/inept or arrogant to utilise the cheaper cuts, brisket and shin are £6/kg for well hung Angus cross local beef.
I had a little know cut recently called a Jacobs Ladder, a cut from behind the lower middle chest. This piece of meat created a meal that was superior to a Sirloin steak cut from the same beast and matured for 45days on the bone! And that steak was the finest I had ever tasted. The difference in price if purchased from a butcher....£35/kg to £6/kg!

Even cheaper still, buy meat boxes from local producers, Dexter Beef £15/kg, Lamb £70 for half a beast, Outdoor reared Pork £120 for half.It only takes 10mins on here to find locally produced meat at amazing prices that will see families eating like kings for a fraction of supermarket prices.

Alrock
01-Jul-13, 18:56
i read the article completely Alrock, the point is not that there are no known cases of TB caused through eating infected meat, it's the fact that infected meat is in the food chain and was knowingly and deliberately put there by the controlling body (DEFRA). DEFRA and other govt bodies are there to protect us from such misdoings yet here they are putting infected meat on the open market. Also there is the point that whether or not the meat is safe to eat, at no point were joe public informed that the meat was infected though i can see the problem if joe public was informed as the meat would end up being destroyed due to no-one wanting to eat it but this article just shows what is going on behind our backs and by our very own government too!

The meat is safe, it's no different to meat from any other cow.... Do you want a full medical history on every bit of meat sold just to make sure that the cow didn't have a bit of a snivel (do cows get the snivels?) the day it was slaughtered?

Southern-Gal
01-Jul-13, 21:23
and what has that statement got to do with DEFRA selling the infected meat, thus putting it into the food chain? we all know farmers get compo but i bet you didnt know you would be seeing the infected meat on general sale to the public.

Selling the meat pays for the compensation. How else can they keep slaughtering and paying for all those cows? The money has to come from somewhere.
Do agree it would be better to use it for pet food though.

Larkins
02-Jul-13, 00:21
Hysterical claptrap,As far as I am aware, Bovine TB wont be caught by eating Beef.Eating offal maybe and drinking unpasteurised milk if you can get it maybe but good honest Scotch Farm Assured Beef from your local butcher or supermarket no problem. I recall the BSE scare,beef was off everyones favourite list till the supermarkets cut the price,hey presto beef was flying off the shelves like wildfire. Never mind the Quality whats the price?