PDA

View Full Version : What's your footprint?

Drutt
04-Mar-05, 19:48
You may find this quiz (http://www.myfootprint.org/) an eye opener.

My total footprint is 2.8 global hectares, and if everyone lived like me we would need 1.6 planets.

moshmosh
04-Mar-05, 19:55
3.8 which would be 2.1 planets.

Highland Laddie
04-Mar-05, 20:18
CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 1.2

MOBILITY 0.6

SHELTER 2.5

GOODS/SERVICES 2.3

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 6.6

George Brims
04-Mar-05, 20:27
This is ridiculous. It says I need 7.5 planets. I looked at their FAQ and they make a lot of assumptions. For instance they assume I cool my house in summer as well as heat it in winter (cos I live in California). Well I don't have A/C and I couldn't afford to run it if I did. Also my house is 40 years old so it isn't having an impact in terms of requiring wood to build it. And they didn't ask about recycling, about which I might well be described as a preachy nutcase. They do have a more complicated version as an Excel spreadsheet, which looks like it would take hours to fill in. I *hope* that would bring me to a smaller number.

However I do think the whole concept is a sound one, just to make people think. I know a few people I would like to send the link to.

Colin Manson
04-Mar-05, 20:33
9.7 Planets, yeah I guess that's why this one isn't doing so well.

I agree with you george, I'm sure I could produce a few numbers based upon the time Users spend on this website, it wouldn't really mean anything but it would give you something else to spend your time on :D

~~Tides~~
04-Mar-05, 23:43
4.5 planets. God, makes you think about it doesnt it?

squidge
05-Mar-05, 00:08
hmmmmmmmmmmm

2.2 planets although i have to say that must increase CONSIDERABLY the weekends my 16 years old comes to stay

Doolally
05-Mar-05, 00:08
1.8 Planets. Thats probably not too bad.

gleeber
05-Mar-05, 00:40
I canna get my head roond it either. :confused

05-Mar-05, 07:15
I need 4.8 planets ..... ach - no point in worrying - I'm in good company.....

brandy
05-Mar-05, 08:34
FOOD 1.6

MOBILITY 1.5

SHELTER 0.7

GOODS/SERVICES 1.7

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 5.5

thats rediculous.. as most of the food is shipped up here *grins* very few choices in growing your own *luaghs* and when you have kids sends things right up! our house was built in 65! *grins* do not think thats very acurate!

kenimac1
05-Mar-05, 09:08
10.5! Is this real??

dpw39
10-Mar-05, 15:25
Ouch...

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES
FOOD 1.2
MOBILITY 0.2
SHELTER 4.3
GOODS/SERVICES 2.5
TOTAL FOOTPRINT 8.2

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 5.3 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 4.6 PLANETS.

Ciao,

Dave the Rave :cool:

Julia
10-Mar-05, 19:55
FOOD 1.2

MOBILITY 0.3

SHELTER 1.2

GOODS/SERVICES 1.1

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 3.8

2.1 planets required!

Smee2
10-Mar-05, 20:35
1.1 planets

How good am I!!!

Eco-friendly or what!!!

Drutt
10-Mar-05, 20:39
1.1 planets

How good am I!!!

Eco-friendly or what!!!
Very good! How did you do it?

chessor
10-Mar-05, 20:51
FOOD 1.3

MOBILITY 0.7

SHELTER 0.8

GOODS/SERVICES 1.1

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 3.9

Scary stuff ! :eek:

Rubha_an_Tuir
10-Mar-05, 20:59
I need 5.2 Planets. What on earth would I do with them? I'll take Mars, Venus and Jupiter but you can keep Uranus and Saturn. Unless anyone want's to build a windfarm? Quite breezy up there you know......

htwood
11-Mar-05, 19:34
Wow, 2.2 here. Quite an eye opener :eek:

I thought the questions were rather skewed towards oil consumption tho...all about cars and planes, and how far food was shipped... There is much more to a global footprint than that.
They should offer extra points for refusing to have woolens drycleaned, for using baking soda and vinegar instead of toxic chems, for carrying a canvas bag to the greengrocers, for growing organic berries and veg (which includes handpicking snails and crushing into the compost pile,,ewwww), and for refusing to buy Chilean grapes in midwinter. Small acts like this can add up quickly to affect the larger picture.
ok, getting down off soapbox now :lol:

gleeber
11-Mar-05, 20:10
[quote]They do have a more complicated version as an Excel spreadsheet, which looks like it would take hours to fill in. I *hope* that would bring me to a smaller number.

I must have got that one last time cos it was easy this time.

2.9 planets and obove average needs for my nation. :(
I think I am aware that I am not over eco friendly but perhaps when the council start doing recycleable collections (starting soon I believe) I could get into it. That just about says it all. Leave it to some else to do something first. :(

htwood.........Why no Chilean grapes in midwinter?

htwood
12-Mar-05, 07:02
No Chilean grapes in midwinter, because it is not environmentally responsible to waste the petrol for a huge oceangoing container ship to come all the way from the southern hemisphere to bring off season fruit.

And maybe one really knows its summer when the grapes are available in ones own hemisphere?

And when did bananas become a staple item at the greengrocer? Think of the logistics of sending so many tonnes of bananas to Europe and North America from the equatorial zones. I dont know anyone whose grandmother has happy childhood tales of the banana trees in their back garden. Just a thought. Thanks for asking.