PDA

View Full Version : Dounreay...a naive plonder

Cedric Farthsbottom III
26-Jan-07, 21:53
If Dounreay closes in Caithness would everything go down the pan.I'm naive to this,cause I've been in the same work in Caithness for 13 years and Dounreay has always been there.Before that I havenae the knowledge to see Caithness before Dounreay,can ye help me oot wi the scoop?:D

Gleber2
26-Jan-07, 22:10
If Dounreay closes in Caithness would everything go down the pan.I'm naive to this,cause I've been in the same work in Caithness for 13 years and Dounreay has always been there.Before that I havenae the knowledge to see Caithness before Dounreay,can ye help me oot wi the scoop?:D

We were here before the Atomics and we'll be here when they've gone.

j4bberw0ck
26-Jan-07, 22:24

Economics, all your atomics
Ain't gonna save you from that bird in the sky

Sorry if it's a bit off-topic but every time I hear someone refer to "atomics" "When the Eagle Flies" starts playing in some old neuron somewhere and I feel an urge to go dig out Asimov's Foundation Trilogy. (Not having a dig, G2 - I'm sure you'll understand :lol: )

Gleber2
26-Jan-07, 23:42
Sorry if it's a bit off-topic but every time I hear someone refer to "atomics" "When the Eagle Flies" starts playing in some old neuron somewhere and I feel an urge to go dig out Asimov's Foundation Trilogy. (Not having a dig, G2 - I'm sure you'll understand :lol: )

More than a trilogy these days!!

Buttercup
27-Jan-07, 15:24
Well said gleber2. To locals it will always be known as the "Atomics".

mareng
27-Jan-07, 21:37
I watched the "Cape Wrath - John 'O Groats" episode of Coast the other day and was touched by the down-to-earth response of Herbie? the ex-Dounreay Health Physics Monitor. A much more convincing account of things than the rehearsed comments.

It's not the same social balance now that existed in the 50s/60s/70s/80s but make no mistake - If Dounreay goes without something of a similar nature............... the effects on Caithness will be devastating.

For all the criticism of the windfarms, you have to admit - they aren't very labour intensive in their operation.

mareng
27-Jan-07, 21:55

You should hope that they don't take exception to the term.

Remember the upset of the native population of the Falklands at being referred to as "Bennies", after the "special" character in Crossroads (70's soap).

Any suggestions for a term for the indigenous population of Caithness??

mareng
27-Jan-07, 22:28
I guess its like the flotta workers here i can't actually say the common term for a flotta worker, But if that place closes down the knock on effect will be catastrophic no orkney harbours or the various agents connected, The spending of workers from there can only benefit local shops & builders, Aye i do work there

I'm intrigued-- pm me with the term or maybe J4berw0ck could?

gleeber
27-Jan-07, 22:37
You should hope that they don't take exception to the term.

Remember the upset of the native population of the Falklands at being referred to as "Bennies", after the "special" character in Crossroads (70's soap).

Any suggestions for a term for the indigenous population of Caithness??
I doubt if any atomicers would take exception to the term. Without the atomics there would be no Thurso as i love and know it.

scotsboy
28-Jan-07, 10:21
Herbie is full of hot air - if only it could be effectively harnessed.

RST
29-Jan-07, 00:29
Herbie is full of hot air - if only it could be effectively harnessed.
Well said scotsboy, if Herbie felt so strongly about wrong doings in the past why didnt he speak out when he was taking part in them.