PDA

View Full Version : Cycle Route Thurso to Dounreay?

Rheghead
28-Jun-13, 21:46
I have noticed recently that there have been a few threads that villify cyclists who cycle to work. I am hugely concerned about this yet I am not prepared to point the finger of blame for the cause of this bad feeling. I just feel there needs to be better provision of seperating the needs of the cyclists with the needs of the car drivers.

I have also noticed that the road from Thurso to Dounreay is blessed with wide verges that must be a pain for farmers to cut regularly. So, surely there could be a great case for launching a campaign to lobby Highland Council to build a dedicated cycleway from Thurso to Dounreay?

I do see the traffic at rush hour along the north coast as a huge barrier for anyone who wants to start cycling to work. I also think that a dedicated cycleway would benefit the thousands of cyclists who visit our county as part of the Land's End to JoG event. We seem to fail to give these charitable volunteers any welcome at all.

So is there any support out there that would like to join me in raising a campaign to build a cycleway from Thurso to Dounreay? Dounreay? Caithness Cycling Club? Would be cycle commuters? Car drivers who want rid of cyclists along the north coast?

I have gained the support of our John Thurso MP for a campaign which I welcome immensely.

Please do not turn this thread into another argumentative thread of car drivers vs cyclists.

secrets in symmetry
28-Jun-13, 23:28
So, surely there could be a great case for launching a campaign to lobby Highland Council to build a dedicated cycleway from Thurso to Dounreay?Great idea, but I think you're about 50 years too late....

Big Gaz
28-Jun-13, 23:49
gonna be a hell of a lot of cash for just a few years benefit. laying tarmac comes in at around £100 per sq metre iirc (layout, groundwork, hardcore, topcoat etc) and if you made this cycle path 2 metres wide....ouchies!. with the distance a fraction short of 10 miles, so say 16km x2 = 32000 sqm of tarmac comes in at a cool £3.2m not to mention drainage, signage, painting the lines, upkeep, brake failure runoff pits, oh ok, forget that, not many cyclists suffer brake fade...unless they are overweight or have eaten too many dounreay butties.... plus there is the possibility that it would need to be lit so add that to the cost and you are maybe looking at what? £6m? £7m? can't see that kind of money coming this far north anytime soon tbh

Aaldtimer
29-Jun-13, 02:08
Absolutely no need for this. I cycled thousands of miles on this route when employed there with no problems whatsoever.
Set off early in the morning and avoid most of the traffic, set off on the return after the buses leave , and invariably no problems.

Rheghead
29-Jun-13, 10:02
Absolutely no need for this. I cycled thousands of miles on this route when employed there with no problems whatsoever.
Set off early in the morning and avoid most of the traffic, set off on the return after the buses leave , and invariably no problems.

In my experience of talking to people who have recently bought bicycles through schemes that encourage them to cycle to work, their explanations of why they do not cycle to work never includes that the journey to work is too long or hard work, rather they are all too put off by the speed and close proximity of the Dounreay traffic. If you are now saying that cyclists should should spend more time at work and not get paid for it then I cannot see how that will encourage anyone to take up the bicycle.

Southern-Gal
29-Jun-13, 10:06
Great idea!
When (and if) Dounreay ever closes the locals with be left with a great cycle route to use for pleasure, health and fitness plus of course commuting. Even better if it was at all possible that other vulnerable road users can get on it too such as horse riders and those with invalidity scooters.
Make it happen ;)

Horse riders and cyclists should get together for the good of both.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?119839-Riding-on-the-roads

Rheghead
29-Jun-13, 11:24
I quick look on google suggests that a cycle lane will cost approximately £90 per linear metre or approximately £1.5 million for the whole thing. When compared with other things that cost £1.5 million it seems a bargain to me.

A lasting legacy for the future of commuting and the Land's end to JoG event.
A safer environment for all road users.
Quicker travel times for all.
Employees of Dounreay will be enthused to take up cycling to work so improving health and fitness as part of their routine day.

Southern-Gal
29-Jun-13, 11:36
http://sport.caithness.org/article.php?id=333

It seems there are some funds available for cycling routes anyway?
And Dounreay might chip in?
Would last a lot longer than keep fit classes and once laid it is environmentally friendly.
And the windfarm owners and profiteers could also be asked for funds. After all the 'ker-ching' they are going to get its a snip at 1.5M :)

Rheghead
29-Jun-13, 11:49
http://sport.caithness.org/article.php?id=333

It seems there are some funds available for cycling routes anyway?
And Dounreay might chip in?
Would last a lot longer than keep fit classes and once laid it is environmentally friendly.
And the windfarm owners and profiteers could also be asked for funds. After all the 'ker-ching' they are going to get its a snip at 1.5M :)

Excellent find Southern Gal!

At a stroke we have the funding, an extra bit of a national network and a pool of people who are eager to see this project happen. It is a win win situation!

We just need a campaign to get going to put all this into tarmac.

secrets in symmetry
29-Jun-13, 13:18
Set off early in the morning and avoid most of the traffic, set off on the return after the buses leave , and invariably no problems.Did you cycle to and from work throughout the winters?

mi16
29-Jun-13, 13:25
Did you cycle to and from work throughout the winters?A coastal track would be a cheaper option, only any good for the MTB lads though

Aaldtimer
29-Jun-13, 13:25
Did you cycle to and from work throughout the winters?

Yes I did. With specially adapted lamps and halogen bulbs.

Rheg, I'm at a loss to see where Thurso to Dounreay fits in the LE/JoG route!

Also arriving at work a wee bit early gives a chance for a cuppa, and letting the buses go before you leave only adds 15 mins or so to your day.

mi16
29-Jun-13, 13:33
Yes I did. With specially adapted lamps and halogen bulbs.Rheg, I'm at a loss to see where Thurso to Dounreay fits in the LE/JoG route!Also arriving at work a wee bit early gives a chance for a cuppa, and letting the buses go before you leave only adds 15 mins or so to your day.Taking the quieter route from Inverness to JOG via the West means you have to go from Reay to Thurso which only leaves two options of road via Shebster or Forss.Forss obviously involves passing Dounreay

secrets in symmetry
29-Jun-13, 13:52
Yes I did. With specially adapted lamps and halogen bulbs.I'm impressed. :cool:

A lot of LE JoGgers take the route north from Inverness via Bonar Bridge, Lairg, Tongue and Thurso to JoG.

Aaldtimer
29-Jun-13, 13:55
A lot of LE JoGgers take the route north from Inverness via Bonar Bridge, Lairg, Tongue and Thurso to JoG.

I would have thought they would be in the minority.

secrets in symmetry
29-Jun-13, 14:02
I would have thought they would be in the minority.I don't know, but I would imagine that someone on this forum does know. :cool:

mi16
29-Jun-13, 22:11
I don't know, but I would imagine that someone on this forum does know. :cool:The Deloitte organised tours certainly take that route, it's considerably safer than the A9.I cannot see £1.5m being spent on a 10 mile stretch of cycle way for 8 years Dounreay work

secrets in symmetry
29-Jun-13, 22:25
The Deloitte organised tours certainly take that route, it's considerably safer than the A9.I cannot see £1.5m being spent on a 10 mile stretch of cycle way for 8 years Dounreay workI'd like to do the Deloitte tour, but it's not cheap and I'm not fit enough.

A Dounreay cycle track would have been a great idea 50 years ago....

mi16
29-Jun-13, 22:32
Indeed on both counts

Boboowest
01-Jul-13, 15:52
The majority of LE to JOG cyclist use the Reay to Thurso road as it forms a part of the official CTC Youth Hostel and B&B Route. Building the cycle route is one thing but regular sweeping is normally where the system fails. Personally I don't use them as they tend to be full of punctures with broken glass being a regular visitor. You will notice that the A9 cycle route between Perth and Inverness is almost unused with cyclist mixing with the traffic. Just look at the cycle route surface and you will understand why. I would save the money and just request the Dounreay cyclists nip across the back road to Shebster. As a regular cyclist this would certainly be my preference.

Rheghead
01-Jul-13, 17:44
Good post Boboowest.

Kenn
01-Jul-13, 23:31
Great idea but what happens when one gets to Forss bridge?
With the current pressure to retain grass verges would this even get a second look by planners?
Does the cyclist not get recommended to go via Westfield to avoid the coastal road traffic?

secrets in symmetry
02-Jul-13, 01:40
The majority of LE to JOG cyclist use the Reay to Thurso road as it forms a part of the official CTC Youth Hostel and B&B Route. Building the cycle route is one thing but regular sweeping is normally where the system fails. Personally I don't use them as they tend to be full of punctures with broken glass being a regular visitor. You will notice that the A9 cycle route between Perth and Inverness is almost unused with cyclist mixing with the traffic. Just look at the cycle route surface and you will understand why. I would save the money and just request the Dounreay cyclists nip across the back road to Shebster. As a regular cyclist this would certainly be my preference.I agree with Rheghead - this is a good post.

neilsermk1
02-Jul-13, 12:32
By the time this secures funding and gets through the planning process there wont be a need, the roads will be empty.

jacko
02-Jul-13, 17:58
id rather see the the cash spent on something sensible , like removing all the stupid gaelic road signs .[lol]

sids
02-Jul-13, 18:12
id rather see the the cash spent on something sensible , like removing all the stupid gaelic road signs .[lol]

Cheaper to not put any up.

jacko
02-Jul-13, 22:01
Cheaper to not put any up.

exactly, if most of the locals cant understand them , how the heck can the tourists. :eek:

Errogie
03-Jul-13, 11:19
Perhaps cycle and other path development should be primed by some of the community benefit monies which are rattling around Caithness. Down here on south Loch Ness we've just helped add another section to our local South Loch Ness Trail.