PDA

View Full Version : Selling free items

porshiepoo
27-Jun-13, 08:12
OK I'm starting this thread because of a situation that has popped up on a local FB page which I'm finding ridiculous, amusing and pathetic but I'd like to know what y'all think about it.

Basically it would seem that a person was given an item for free that was advertised on FB free ads page and then that person sold the item. This has caused quite a furore on the said page and as we speak a vote is going on to find out whether a person selling a free item should be banned from ever using the page again :confused[lol]

Personally I think it's petty and ridiculous (no, I have never taken a free item from that page and sold it) and I'm gobsmacked at the narrow mindedness of it all.
If someone advertises an item as free should that not then mean that they have relinquished all legal and moral rights to the item? Should they then expect to have some say over what the new owner does and does not do with the item?
IMO if I give an item away it's usually either because a) I can't be bothered with advertising it and selling it or b) I think it's too naff to sell but too good to dump. If someone comes along and takes the free item off my hands I couldn't care less what they then do with it, how could I be offended if they sell it and make a few quid if I couldn't be bothered to?
The way I look at is that there are much more serious issues with society than someone selling a free item and I'd much rather know there are people willing to sell free items as a way of making money than doing something illegal.
However, it seems the general consensus on FB at the moment is that the majority of people are pushing for a banning if someone sells something from that page, which then brings us to the next question, how on earth are people going to know if an item has been sold on? Do they intend to scour the ebay accounts of local caithnessians and check out what they're selling? Surely people have better things to do with their time?

pat
27-Jun-13, 08:43
Cannot get my head round this one! What happens if someone buys something and then sells it for a profit are they meant to share the profit with the person who sold the item first or donate all the profit? If someone is given something free. cleans it up or stores it in a corner for a year or two then decides to get rid of it and puts it up for offers and it sells for £xxx the original giver should be traced and money given to them? Getting rid of something is end of story, if someone is willing to take something offered for free - any problem will be with the person offering it for free, they should NOT have offered it for FREE they could have taken the time and patience to have sold it in the first place!

Serenity
27-Jun-13, 09:03
I don't think I agree that the point that if someone didn't want to give it away for free they should have made the effort to sell it being the main point here at all. I think some people would prefer to help someone who really needs the item and wants to use it themselves. Not saying either side is right or wrong my point is I don't think they are upset at losing money as such.
On the other hand maybe the person who took it really needed the money! And I do agree with the point that once you give something away it is not yours any more. But if it is a Facebook group they can make rules as they please to suit their members (or even just their admin, they are not really a democracy).

changilass
27-Jun-13, 09:29
If an item is offered for free, then whoever takes it can do what they want with it, including selling it on.

If however someone is asking for free stuff, saying they are in desperate need of the item, then selling it on would be out of order.

mi16
27-Jun-13, 09:31
There was a thread on this a week or so back regarding the free section of the org.The general consensus was that it was not cricket, I don't see any issue personally.Perhaps free ads should not be allowed, instead a nominal £1 fee should be paid.

golach
27-Jun-13, 09:40
If an item is offered for free, then whoever takes it can do what they want with it, including selling it on.

If however someone is asking for free stuff, saying they are in desperate need of the item, then selling it on would be out of order.

Got to agree with you changilass

rob1
27-Jun-13, 09:44
Charity shops get almost all their stock for free and there is no issue with them selling it for a profit. I don't see difference if it is an individual. Also this is how business works, someone buys something for a price and then sells it on to someone else for a higher price. So what if that first price is nothing?

Torvaig
27-Jun-13, 09:54
Personally I would employ that person for being an entrepreneur!

porshiepoo
27-Jun-13, 10:16
The majority of em on the FB page agree with getting people banned for what they seem to deem a moral crime to beat all moral crimes. I honestly cannot get my head round why anyone would believe they have a right to dictate whether a person can sell an item on or not - the FB page is saying that if you no longer want the item you are expected to either give it away again on the FB page or give it to charity (who will then sell the item on for a flaming humongous profit), so not only are they saying you cannot sell it they're also dictating how and who you are allowed to give it to - all over a free item, not the ruddy crown jewels!

mi16
27-Jun-13, 11:45
The majority of em on the FB page agree with getting people banned for what they seem to deem a moral crime to beat all moral crimes. I honestly cannot get my head round why anyone would believe they have a right to dictate whether a person can sell an item on or not - the FB page is saying that if you no longer want the item you are expected to either give it away again on the FB page or give it to charity (who will then sell the item on for a flaming humongous profit), so not only are they saying you cannot sell it they're also dictating how and who you are allowed to give it to - all over a free item, not the ruddy crown jewels!Do you have a link to said page on fb

Kodiak
27-Jun-13, 12:00
The whole idea of that if you give someone something, you can then dictate to them what they are allowed to do with that said item, is just silly and incorrect.

Once a person gives away an item to someone, then they have also given away all the title to that said item and they can no longer have any say what happens to that said item.

So if the person receives an item as a gift, it makes no difference if the item was advertised as a free gift or not, then they can do what they will with it. They can sell it, keep it, destroy it, throw it away or give it away, it is up to them and not to the person who gave it to them.

So if you have an item that you wish to give to what you class as a deserving person and you do not wish that person to it sell on and make a profit, then donate it to a Charity Shop. That way a deserving Charity is making the Profit. Simples

porshiepoo
27-Jun-13, 12:30
Do you have a link to said page on fb

https://www.facebook.com/groups/

sweetpea
27-Jun-13, 16:46
From what I can see the issue on the fb page has been with certain individuals who are repeatedly snapping up all the free items and selling them as a business thus depriving someone who has a genuine need for the item, from what I know it goes back to threads that have been deleted where items were put straight on ebay and the person giving them away saw this happening and therefore the general concensus seems to be that is wrong. I don't see a problem with an individual selling it on if they have no need for it as a one off but then why take the item if you have no need for it in the first place? so again it goes down to one or two individuals running a business based on selling the free things people are giving away, thats how I've interpreted it all.

Alrock
27-Jun-13, 16:55
The whole idea of that if you give someone something, you can then dictate to them what they are allowed to do with that said item, is just silly and incorrect.

A bit off topic, but, tell that to Hollywood, Record companies, etc

hedgehogger
27-Jun-13, 17:30
[QUOTE= so again it goes down to one or two individuals running a business based on selling the free things people are giving away, thats how I've interpreted it all.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, so if they are taking free items and selling them on, it is 100% profit. Are they paying tax on the profit? Does the HMRC know that they are running a business? Are they claiming benefits whilst "running" this business?...big can of worms to open here

Kodiak
27-Jun-13, 18:21
A bit off topic, but, tell that to Hollywood, Record companies, etc

That, I am sure you know, is not the same thing at all. Hollywood and Record Companies could only stop a person selling a CD or DVD if it has been copied, ie a breech of copyright. If it is Original it is still legal to sell, even if it has been given to you as a gift. So I stand by what I said above.

Dadie
27-Jun-13, 21:02
Picking up free stuff and selling it on could be annoying to say the least...but if you were not selling it at least you dont have the hassle of getting rid of the items. ... if someone has been doing it a lot on the fb page..their name will be known to the givers of stuff by now...they could decline to give their stuff to them, after all, its their stuff and they can decide who to give it to.
But what gets me is people who ask for free stuff....as in dire need for said item, then, when you give them stuff (you were going to sell) as you would rather it went to someone who needed it and find out they have but it up for sale within days, THAT IRKS!

balto
28-Jun-13, 12:18
i really dont see how this could be stopped , well apart from the owner actually selling their stuff and not giving it away, surly everyone is entitled to make a few pounds, not as if the have stolen it now is it

pat
28-Jun-13, 12:37
Agree with most folk on here - give it away and let the person do whatever they want with items or give it to a charity shop then complain at the high prices the charity shops are now charging for items given free!
Cannot get my head around this "problem", once you dispose of an item that is it as far as I am concerned.

secrets in symmetry
28-Jun-13, 23:40
Picking up free stuff and selling it on could be annoying to say the least...but if you were not selling it at least you dont have the hassle of getting rid of the items. ... if someone has been doing it a lot on the fb page..their name will be known to the givers of stuff by now...they could decline to give their stuff to them, after all, its their stuff and they can decide who to give it to.
But what gets me is people who ask for free stuff....as in dire need for said item, then, when you give them stuff (you were going to sell) as you would rather it went to someone who needed it and find out they have but it up for sale within days, THAT IRKS!Indeed. There's more human understanding in your post than in all the others combined. :cool: