PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Bags

Rheghead
26-Jan-07, 03:15
Sorry if this has been posted before but I went to Tesco yesterday afternoon and I reused my store of placky bags that I seem to accumulate each time I go shopping.

Well, for each bag I reused, I got an extra clubcard point added to my account.

So for yesterday, I earned 119 points and reused 16 bags giving me 135 points!

Good for Tesco! :)

Lolabelle
26-Jan-07, 08:41
I wish Australian super markets would take on such good incentives.

Angela
26-Jan-07, 11:32
I think it's called a "green point".
I get the Tesco delivery service & each time the driver takes away the last lot of bags (and any other plastic bags I want to give him) for recycling.
It's a good thing as the giant council bins in our street don't provide for any recycling at all. :confused

golach
26-Jan-07, 12:07
I think it's called a "green point".
I get the Tesco delivery service & each time the driver takes away the last lot of bags (and any other plastic bags I want to give him) for recycling.
It's a good thing as the giant council bins in our street don't provide for any recycling at all. :confused
We must be lucky Edinburgh council has provided our area with recycling bins for newspapers and another for cardboard and plastic packaging, and each household in our street get a Blue Bin for cans and glass and a Red Bin for any household packaging (not plastic) and these are collected fortnightly.
But in our street I only see a few houses using the Red and Blue Bins, sad to say.

ett23
26-Jan-07, 12:41
I'm from Ross-shire and we have a Blue Bin for aluminium cans and paper, and a brown bin for garden waste - weeds, compost, leaves,etc. They're collected every 2 weeks. It cuts down on a lot of rubbish in the normal wheelie bin. :D
Other areas do recycling of cardboard and plastic. Is Caithness council not doing any recycling yet?

henry20
26-Jan-07, 13:07
In Thurso, we have blue bin & brown bins. Not sure if its the same in Wick or not, but nothing in the country. Ideally I would like a glass one though for all the empty wine bottles ...... hic.

dozerboy
26-Jan-07, 13:24
I do Tesco shopping on-line and get it delivered, and they take my used bags back with them, but I don't get points for that. I know that having them deliver my shopping causes an environmental impact, but no more than me going in my car to get it, as the one delivery van does many deliveries per trip. I am at least keeping one car trip off the roads per week.

Angela
26-Jan-07, 14:10
I do Tesco shopping on-line and get it delivered, and they take my used bags back with them, but I don't get points for that. I know that having them deliver my shopping causes an environmental impact, but no more than me going in my car to get it, as the one delivery van does many deliveries per trip. I am at least keeping one car trip off the roads per week.

The same situation as I'm in dozerboy, it would just be helpful if my area of Edinburgh had the same recycling facilities as Golach's, for the packaging I need to dispose of!
I wouldn't expect points for the bags I'm giving back To Tesco -they're not going to be counted and reused, just added to the pile for recycling.
Certainly better environmentally for the driver to be making one trip than the many individual trips that would otherwise be made.
However in my case, the nearest recycling facilities are...yes, in the car park of my local Tesco...:confused

crashbandicoot1979
26-Jan-07, 14:50
As far as I knew, all households in towns in the Highland council area should be provided with blue and brown bins for recycling. If anyone doesn't have them, they should contact the council. I agree henry20, a glass recycling bin would be very handy aswell.

cuddlepop
26-Jan-07, 16:04
As far as I knew, all households in towns in the Highland council area should be provided with blue and brown bins for recycling. If anyone doesn't have them, they should contact the council. I agree henry20, a glass recycling bin would be very handy aswell.
We only have one black bin for our household on Skye if you want to recycle the rest you bag it up and take it to the various points.
thats fine as long as you have transport.:eek:

henry20
26-Jan-07, 16:28
I must admit, I would do a lot more recycling if it was collected from the house. I do keep most glass items, but they get in the way - I don't really drink that much (honest) - just don't remember to take it when near a recycle point. I think most people would do more recycling if it was more convenient.

I find the blue bin quite bulky and would prefer that we had stackable boxes that could fit neatly in the corner of a room. I guess it would be handy if someone came round and sorted it all out for me too ;):lol:

badger
26-Jan-07, 17:52
I'm a bit miffed about this as I use some very old Waitrose bags (with no name) that are like the trolley bags you can buy but I don't get any points for re-using them because they're not Tesco bags. Maybe if I did one shop with Tesco bags then transferred the contents so they didn't get worn out and kept re-using them. Do the stronger "bag for life" type Tesco bags get you points?

Angela
26-Jan-07, 18:05
Maybe if I did one shop with Tesco bags then transferred the contents so they didn't get worn out and kept re-using them. Do the stronger "bag for life" type Tesco bags get you points?

I don't know about points for the "bag for life" bags, logically you should get points.
The strong ones I have accumulated, I use to store things in -including the thinner Tesco bags, until the next delivery...:roll:

henry20
26-Jan-07, 18:12
Badger, I had a voucher for a free bag for life once and when I bought it, I got a green point for it - even though I was technically using it for first time. Saying that, I don't know where it is so don't know if I'd get a point now or not. :roll:

stekar
26-Jan-07, 18:20
You're supposed to get a 'green point' whenever you re-use a bag, and it doesn't have to be a Tesco carrier bag.

I have one of their hessian bags, but also use an Asda tickled pink bag and got two 'green points' when I went to Tesco's earlier this week.

Angela
26-Jan-07, 18:24
You're supposed to get a 'green point' whenever you re-use a bag, and it doesn't have to be a Tesco carrier bag.

I have one of their hessian bags, but also use an Asda tickled pink bag and got two 'green points' when I went to Tesco's earlier this week.

Sounds fair -after all, it's surely the fact that you're not asking for a new bag that counts :D

Buttercup
26-Jan-07, 18:30
Did a big shop in Tesco yesterday - took 1 Tesco trolly bag and 1 M&S trolly bag with me, but also had to buy another trolly bag - got 1 green point. So presumably your only "green" if you use Tesco products. :confused
I'm with henry20, I wish the council would collect glass too. It's too bulky to carry to recycling if you've no transport.

badger
26-Jan-07, 21:18
Thanks for all those answers. I must check next time and make sure I'm not missing out as to be honest I haven't looked on the till slip for this. Wouldn't it be good if all supermarkets did this.

blondscot
26-Jan-07, 23:09
HI When we go to tescos we use them foldable boxes and we get green points on them so it dont matter if it is tescos bags or not which is great. I pack mine at the car so just put items back in trolley and usually get 15 points but i think that depends on the amount of shopping

Buttercup
26-Jan-07, 23:18
All-in-all it appears to depend on who serves you then! :confused

mccaugm
26-Jan-07, 23:35
I'm from Ross-shire and we have a Blue Bin for aluminium cans and paper, and a brown bin for garden waste - weeds, compost, leaves,etc. They're collected every 2 weeks. It cuts down on a lot of rubbish in the normal wheelie bin. :D
Other areas do recycling of cardboard and plastic. Is Caithness council not doing any recycling yet?

I also lived in Ross-shire and used the various bins and boxes provided. I was here for months before we got a second bin for green waste. We do not have a collection for other goods. We do have a small recycling point in the village I live in. We also have two out of town recyling points which is a start.

Lavenderblue2
27-Jan-07, 19:48
Sorry if this has been posted before but I went to Tesco yesterday afternoon and I reused my store of placky bags that I seem to accumulate each time I go shopping.

Well, for each bag I reused, I got an extra clubcard point added to my account.

So for yesterday, I earned 119 points and reused 16 bags giving me 135 points!

Good for Tesco! :)

When I read your thread Rheghead I was impressed - I've really been trying with the recycling even though I'm in the country and have to cart everything to the council yard.
I was about to go to Tesco so I gathered up lots of last weeks Tesco bags and set off. When I got to the check out I mentioned this to the cashier who said - oh yes, you get green points for using any other bag, it doesn't need to be Tesco's - so I happily used all of my old bags. When I got home I thought I'd have a look to see how many points I'd saved - NONE!!!:mad: She hadn't given me any - what a swiz. I'll try again next week though and make sure I get my green points. Thank you for bringing this to our notice Rheghead.

LB

rainbow
27-Jan-07, 19:56
I have re-used bags and also used a fold down plastic box, but have never been given green points - next time I go I will remind them to put my points on. Really they should do it automatically.

doyle
28-Jan-07, 00:37
I have a tesco "bag for life" which I take with me every time I go. I always tell the cashier that I am re-using my bag and get my green points, coz I think if you dont say - you dont get. One time I forgot to mention it and never got my points.

connieb19
28-Jan-07, 00:45
I've just been to Tesco, I asked if I would get points for using my own bags and I did. I'm not sure if i would have got them if I didn't ask though. :confused

Penelope Pitstop
28-Jan-07, 15:21

Hi,
I don't think country households gets these recycling bins - not sure why tho?

sms
28-Jan-07, 15:34
I only went in for two things wipes and pull ups, i didnt take a bag as i didnt think i would need one and i recieved 10 points i thought you only got one point for so many things of shopping. (it was the tesco in Inverness) but i was happy with getting extra points

Rheghead
28-Jan-07, 16:31
I've just been to Tesco, I asked if I would get points for using my own bags and I did. I'm not sure if i would have got them if I didn't ask though. :confused

In the heat of purchasing, I'd imagine that the checkout personnel are too busy passing things through the checkout to notice so it would be in your interest to politely remind and keep a tally of the bags that you reuse inorder to claim your points.

My problem was in stopping the tesco bag filler from grabbing new bags instead of the bags that I'd brought. I guess he was just doing it automatically out of habit I suppose.

henry20
29-Jan-07, 12:17
I only went in for two things wipes and pull ups, i didnt take a bag as i didnt think i would need one and i recieved 10 points i thought you only got one point for so many things of shopping. (it was the tesco in Inverness) but i was happy with getting extra points

You get 1 point per £1, so you must have spent £10 :)

footie chick
29-Jan-07, 12:20
You get 1 point per £1, so you must have spent £10 :)

I spent £70.00 yesterday and only got 1 point because I re-used one bag and put the rest loose in the trolley :~(

badger
29-Jan-07, 19:55
Just checked a till slip I found and see I have 6 green points so have been getting them after all. Think maybe that's only one per visit so will check next time.

Glenys Hirst
30-Jan-07, 19:07
Here in Huddersfield,we have a black bin,Green bin and a green plastic crate to put glass bottles in..this goes out with the green bin every 2 weeks!

Jenni
30-Jan-07, 19:24
I did my big shop at Tesco on Sunday. I did not realise you could earn extra points for re-using their bags. I had a black bin bag in the boot of my car which I had filled with old carrier bags and I put them into the recycling container inside the Tesco store. Doh!! Oh well, you learn something new everyday. At least I did my bit for the environment even though I didn't get rewarded for it.
I also wish we could be supplied with a box/container for putting glass items in. Something similar to the blue box would be fine.
Does anyone know whether there are fascilities in Thurso for recylcing those plastic bottles, like the 2litre coke bottles, as we go through loads each week.

golach
30-Jan-07, 21:46
http://greenerleith.squarespace.com/shop-local-shop-smart/

I only discovered this scheme today, and I think this is a good idea. And if you notice none of the 4 major Supermarkets are involved.

Angela
30-Jan-07, 21:58
http://greenerleith.squarespace.com/shop-local-shop-smart/

I only discovered this scheme today, and I think this is a good idea. And if you notice none of the 4 major Supermarkets are involved.

I'd heard of the scheme on TV but didn't know about the website.
Certainly seems a good idea...both to cut down on the use of plastic bags and to promote local shopping.
Leith does still have interesting independent shops and it would be a shame if that changed.
I see they mention the pointlessness & waste of shrink wrapping individual bananas - the daftest thing I've seen is the Morrisons shrink-wrapped coconut. :roll:
The reason they give for doing it is they need something to stick the bar code on. [evil]
Cutting down on plastic bags is a step in the right direction but IMO there's still a lot of really unnecessary packaging of individual items.

Buttercup
30-Jan-07, 23:12
There was a time when ladies carried shopping bags when they went to the shops and a man wouldn't dream of taking a carrier bag. Now shopping bags appear to be a thing for "old wifies" and I've seen people ask for a carrier bag when just buying 1 newspaper (even on a dry day). Stand behind a group of school kids in a shop and the majority will request a bag for their crisps/sweeties and can - why? - surely they're just going to eat their purchases the minute they're out the shop. :roll:

sms
31-Jan-07, 00:05
[quote=henry20;186037]You get 1 point per £1, so you must have spent £10 :)

Thanks but i didnt spend £10 it was £6, i just didnt know how they worked it out so thanks for letting me know

wifie
31-Jan-07, 00:47
As far as I know it is supposed to be one green point for each bag reused. I usually take a folding box plus an M&S shopper and depending on who serves you the points vary greatly (sometimes 4, sometimes up to 10). When it first started they were bad about giving the points and you felt a bit tight asking for them. Then I thought about the principal of the thing and the huge advertising campaign making Tesco out to be so GREEN and I am afraid I joined the growing queue of people at the enquiries desk demanding their green points. I have been using my own bags, etc for years and it was about time I was 'rewarded'.