PDA

View Full Version : Does Any One Know

bonami
22-Jun-13, 20:33
Can anyone tell me can birds see through double glazing. The reason I ask is we have had our back garden laid with stone slabs and the only place we could put our bird table is about four feet from the kitchen window. At the time I thought we would not see many birds use it that close at hand. However I find that birds use it as much as ever even when I stand at the window washing dishes. I don't think that they see me at all.

Pterodroma
23-Jun-13, 21:16
Hi Bonami

Yes they can see through double glazing. The birds at my feeder and those on the ground at seed are very wary of any movement in the house.

Pterodroma

Kenn
23-Jun-13, 23:51
I too have bird feeders just a few feet from my double glazed kitchen window, the larger birds will take flight if they spot me but the small ones seem not to worry, had a Bluetit last year that came for nyger seed on the window ledge.

Dadie
24-Jun-13, 00:02
Some can mistake the reflection from the glass as a pool of water though ..so if you get a few splatting into the window a sticker or 2 will stop it happening ! but yup they can usually see through glass...though you can get feeders that stick on to windows for wee birdies and they get used to people on the otherside of the glass pretty quickly.

bonami
26-Jun-13, 20:27
Thanks for the answers. As I said I doubted if birds would use the table being so close to the window but it still seems as popular as ever . Also watching them feed makes the dish washing a brighter task.

broch
27-Jun-13, 11:31
well, sid the seagull can definately see through our double glazing...... he hovers in front of the kitchen window looking in, then same at the front room window if he knows were in and we ignore him he knocks on the door to get our attention!