PDA

View Full Version : Dig 1940

piratelassie
18-Jun-13, 01:51
Just watched an excellent programme on TV called Dig 1940 about excavations around Dunkerque. The artifacts discovered were all refered to as English not Brittish. Is it only me who sees this as an insult to the other nationals of these islands,my father included, or are there any others who see it like me,

orkneycadian
18-Jun-13, 06:25
Might I suggest that if you find this kind of programming entertaining, that you stock up on either recordable DVD's and/or hard disk capacity, and get as many of them recorded as you can.

Should Scotland secede from the UK in 2016, I expect that this kind of Sassenach broadcasting content will not be welcome on the Scottish Broadcasting Corporation network, and will be a dim and distant memory, unless you look out your passport and your pounds and take a holiday to the UK. I guess the same will go for all those other English programmes that will be insulting to the Scots - Coronation Street, Emmerdale, Eastenders, Top Gear, The Nine O Clock News.....

Get em while you can folks.

equusdriving
18-Jun-13, 09:28
or are there any others who see it like me,
of course there are, you are not the only desperate, draconian, blinkered, bigot with a massive anti British/English chip on your shoulder

hedgehogger
18-Jun-13, 12:16
Well as much as i see this thread as another dig at the English, there is a valid point as many of the troops were Belgian & French too and were mixed in with the BEF so its entirely possible that artifacts and corpses (if any found) without a dog-tag could be from any of the countries involved.

Flynn
18-Jun-13, 13:55
Who are the 'Brittish'? I've never heard of them.

billmoseley
18-Jun-13, 18:16
i was born in england and now living up here but i agree with piratelassie it should be british not english. i don't see it as a dig at england

piratelassie
18-Jun-13, 19:12
Thank you very much billmoseley, at last somebody who gets it. Once again ta.

i was born in england and now living up here but i agree with piratelassie it should be british not english. i don't see it as a dig at england

equusdriving
18-Jun-13, 19:31
Thank you very much billmoseley, at last somebody who gets it. Once again ta.

oh I see now why you never normally comment on your threads after the initial post, you only reply when someone agrees with you:lol:

gerry4
18-Jun-13, 20:08
a lot of people on here who are against Independence want to turn everything that has the word Scottish/Scotland in it into an anti Indy debate and being called anti-english.

The UK/Britain comprises of 4 countries. To use the word English or England in the wrong context is an insult to the other 3 nations. It is like calling Canadians, Americans or New Zealanders Australians. Why is respect of others nationalities of the UK & their history such a hard thing to understand? If people want the UK to survive then maybe respecting & understanding the other nations of the UK is important.

BTW I am English and most of my family still live in England, so cannot be accused of being anti-english.

equusdriving
18-Jun-13, 20:22
a lot of people on here who are against Independence want to turn everything that has the word Scottish/Scotland in it into an anti Indy debate and being called anti-english.are you sure you are on the right thread/forum? I have never seen anyone objecting to the use of Scottish/Scotland on here, but many for the use of English/British

The UK/Britain comprises of 4 countries. To use the word English or British in the wrong context is an insult to the other 3 nations.
but using Scottish/Scotland isn't? a bit one sided dont you think? in what context would a British nation be insulted by being called British? unless they thought they were better than everyone else of course

If people want the UK to survive then maybe respecting & understanding the other nations of the UK is important.
Yes I agree,but some pro independence supporters on here only post when they feel they can snipe at Britain England Westminster etc ,not alot of respect in that? take a look at all of piratelassie's previous posts, as a starter

gerry4
18-Jun-13, 20:51
I should of said 'English or England' & not 'British'.

Maybe I did not make myself clear. I will try to say it in one clear sentence.

To call Britain, England or to us English when it should be British is an insult to the other 3 countries of the UK. To say that doing this is wrong is not being anti-English, could even be called pro British. It is just promoting correctness and politeness.

I failed, i could not say it in one sentence, but managed in one paragraph.

orkneycadian
18-Jun-13, 20:56
The UK/Britain comprises of 4 countries. To use the word English or British in the wrong context is an insult to the other 3 nations.

According to Wikipedia, Great Britain is the big island that forms most of England, Scotland and Wales. It doesn't include the islands. The British Isles apparantly includes the whole of Ireland North and South. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland seems to be the correct term for everything that we know as the UK. So technically, you lot are British whilst we are British Islanders! But there are so many definitions, I could stand corrected....

But I do know that Piratelassie has insulted all the people who fought in the war, but did not live on the island of Great Britain. That's OK, if we ever secede from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, we'll just remember that the oil belongs to us, and not the British or the Scottish Mainlanders! ;)

equusdriving
18-Jun-13, 21:03
I should of said 'English or England' & not 'British'.

Maybe I did not make myself clear. I will try to say it in one clear sentence.

To call Britain, England or to us English when it should be British is an insult to the other 3 countries of the UK. To say that doing this is wrong is not being anti-English, could even be called pro British. It is just promoting correctness and politeness.

I failed, i could not say it in one sentence, but managed in one paragraph.

OK I see what you mean now ,but what would piratelassie have, to use as a reason to vote for Independence if it stopped, it takes her a week on average, to trawl the internet to find an example to post now as it is:lol:[lol]:lol:

orkneycadian
18-Jun-13, 21:09
On the plus side, she provides plenty entertainment. She has shot herself in the foot so many times now, she must have no feet left.

equusdriving
18-Jun-13, 21:10
That's OK, if we ever secede from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, we'll just remember that the oil belongs to us, and not the British or the Scottish Mainlanders! ;)

that's my mind made up, if by any miracle we get Independence, Im of over the water to Orkney:lol:

gerry4
18-Jun-13, 21:17
According to Wikipedia, Great Britain is the big island that forms most of England, Scotland and Wales. It doesn't include the islands. The British Isles apparantly includes the whole of Ireland North and South. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland seems to be the correct term for everything that we know as the UK. So technically, you lot are British whilst we are British Islanders! But there are so many definitions, I could stand corrected....

But I do know that Piratelassie has insulted all the people who fought in the war, but did not live on the island of Great Britain. That's OK, if we ever secede from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, we'll just remember that the oil belongs to us, and not the British or the Scottish Mainlanders! ;)

Are you therefore saying that people living on Isle of Wight, Harris, Mull, Lindersfarne, etc are not British? there is no nationality as british islanders.

As you quoted Wikipedia, I will to "The term Britain is a linguistic descendant (reflex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_reconstruction)) of one of the oldest known names for the island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island) currently referred to as Great Britain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain). The terms Briton, British and British Isles, similarly derived, refer to its inhabitants and the smaller islands in the vicinity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_of_the_British_Isles). Britain is the only ancient name for these islands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminology_of_the_British_Isles) to survive in general usage. Its first written appearance was by Pytheas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pytheas) of Massalia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massalia) in the 4th century BCE. It originates with a group of P-Celtic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-Celtic) speakers, resident on the island, who referred to themselves by the earliest known form of the term British."

orkneycadian
18-Jun-13, 21:30
Great Britain (Welsh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_language): Prydain Fawr, Scottish Gaelic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic_language): Breatainn Mhòr, Cornish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_language): Breten Veur, Scots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_language): Great Breetain), also known asBritain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain_(placename)), is an island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island) situated to the north-west of Continental Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Europe). It is the ninth largest island in the world (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_by_area), the largest European (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe)island and the largest of the British Isles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles).

gerry4
18-Jun-13, 21:35
There is a difference between Britain & Great Britain but not interested in banding definitions about.

equusdriving
18-Jun-13, 21:41
There is a difference between Britain & Great Britain but not interested in banding definitions about.

Orkneycadian said Great Britain not Britain and you replied quoting about Britain? so what is your point:lol:

gerry4
18-Jun-13, 21:55
Orkneycadian said Great Britain not Britain and you replied quoting about Britain? so what is your point:lol:

My point is Britons live in Britain. Great Britain is a political entity created with the union of the crowns http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/evolutionofparliament/legislativescrutiny/act-of-union-1707/overview/union-of-the-crowns/ When the parliaments united the United Kingdom of Great Britain was formed.

orkneycadian
18-Jun-13, 22:07
that's my mind made up, if by any miracle we get Independence, Im of over the water to Orkney:lol:

Was on Radio Orkney this morning that whatever happens in 2014 / 2016, the 3 island authorities (Orkney, Shetland and the Western Isles) have some aspirations to gain more control of what happens in the islands, and to retain more of the revenue from things like marine power. Whilst not into seceding from the UK, it would be a bit of a laugh is Scotland seceded from the UK, then the islands from Scotland, or else stayed with the UK. Not sure where Eck would fill his coffers from then, if both the traditional oil and the renewable energy "oil" (He described the Pentland Firth as being akin to Saudi Arabia as far as tidal power went) either didn't stop off at Holyrood and continued onwards to Westminster, or else never made it beyond the islands.

Phill
18-Jun-13, 22:22
I hereby declare and state, that all lands, sea's and oceans bounded by 50°N 60°N 0° & 14°W have now been seized and sequestered by the Rockall Collective!
(except for bits of Ireland... and Wales, they're OK. Oh, and Birmingham..... it's just Birmingham ain't it. And London, London can just feck off with East Anglia. Grimsby is on dodgy ground too, but maybe we can do a deal)

I nominate, elect and declare myself the sole ruler, protector, CEO, President and lawmaker of the Rockall Collective and of these lands and sea's to be known hence forth as the "collective Kingdom of Rockall".
I shall forthwith be referred to as King of Everything (the first (subject to contract)(E&OE) TM).

In due course I will form a government consisting of myself, a case of Stella, an EU wine lake (red), 3 bottles of Old Pulteney and an ageing coffee machine.
All oil, mineral, gas, and fishing rights are hereby seized. It is all min..... Ours! If Queenie still thinks she's got a Crown Estate in these parts she's got another thing coming!

Independence debate over. You are now all Rockallites and citizens of the democratically seized collective Kingdom of Rockall dictatorship. Move along, nothing to see here.

(the pound will be retained as currency, defence will be provided by UK MOD, passport & immigration services provided by the UK passport & immigration service, health services will be provided by the NHS & NHS Scotland etc. etc. generally everything will be the same except you'll be paying for some cretinous idiot to stroll around the globe lording it as King of Everything (.com etc. etc.).

FREEDOM!!!!

equusdriving
18-Jun-13, 22:27
it would be a bit of a laugh is Scotland seceded from the UK, then the islands from Scotland, or else stayed with the UK.
a bit of a laugh, that's a bit of an understatement, I cant think of anything funnier:lol::lol::lol:

piratelassie
18-Jun-13, 23:21
Explain how I have insulted people who fought in the war

But I do know that Piratelassie has insulted all the people who fought in the war, but did not live on the island of Great Britain. That's OK, if we ever secede from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, we'll just remember that the oil belongs to us, and not the British or the Scottish Mainlanders! ;)[/QUOTE]

piratelassie
18-Jun-13, 23:30
How the hell can I be anti British/English when i'm calling for people like you to refer to something British to be called British and not English,

of course there are, you are not the only desperate, draconian, blinkered, bigot with a massive anti British/English chip on your shoulder

orkneycadian
18-Jun-13, 23:35
You assumed that Britain, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, were the same thing.

By my reckoning, and granted, its not the clearest, even on Wikipedia, they are not. But some of that is open to interpretation.

If you are going to use TV programmes as a thinly veiled disguise for a political snipe, then you would be more accurate to compare "artefacts from England" with "artefacts from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

equusdriving
18-Jun-13, 23:45
How the hell can I be anti British/English when i'm calling for people like you to refer to something British to be called British and not English,

your example just shows you are slightly more anti English than you are anti British

and can you give me just 1 example where I have referred to something British as English?
or are you mistaking it for when the likes of you call for the likes of Andy Murray and Sir Chris Hoy not to be called British? and slag him of for talking about the affect of Independence on sport

how on earth will you while away the hours when the hope of Independence is a dim and distant memory?

equusdriving
19-Jun-13, 00:14
your example just shows you are slightly more anti English than you are anti British

and can you give me just 1 example where I have referred to something British as English?
or are you mistaking it for when the likes of you call for the likes of Andy Murray and Sir Chris Hoy not to be called British? and slag him of for talking about the affect of Independence on sport

how on earth will you while away the hours when the hope of Independence is a dim and distant memory?

I guess you have crawled back under the stone, to trawl the net for any desperate obscure contents for the next desperate anti English/British post then,yet again now you are asked to back up your ridiculous posts[disgust]

piratelassie
20-Jun-13, 00:00
Did you watch the programme Dig 1940, not much trawling required. If you did you would have heard them refer to the allies artifacts as English.
And keep insulting remarks to yourself thankyou.

I guess you have crawled back under the stone, to trawl the net for any desperate obscure contents for the next desperate anti English/British post then,yet again now you are asked to back up your ridiculous posts[disgust]

equusdriving
20-Jun-13, 00:09
And keep insulting remarks to yourself thankyou. what does the truth hurt? ahh shame, never mind Trot on

secrets in symmetry
20-Jun-13, 00:26
what does the truth hurt? ahh shame, never mind Trot onIs the pirate a Trot? Possibly - she does seem gullible enough to be one.

equusdriving
20-Jun-13, 00:41
Is the pirate a Trot? Possibly - she does seem gullible enough to be one.

if it involves wearing rose coloured glasses and a big chunk of potato on the shoulder I think you could be onto something there

ducati
20-Jun-13, 09:27
If the word Scottish is not in the worlds volcabuary, then the denizens of an independant Scotland will never be referred to again. :eek:

John Little
20-Jun-13, 09:40
May I ask - were the artefacts found actually English? As opposed to Scottish?

I mean for example did they come from the Essex Regt. as opposed to the Black Watch?

If they were English then that is simply a matter of fact. I am quite certain that it is possible to be English - and British.

And if so, is the programme being criticised for being too exact?

In the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) my Great Uncle served at Dunkirk in the Border Regt. which drew men from both sides of the Border. If the artefacts were Border Regt I should have preferred 'British' as a description.

secrets in symmetry
20-Jun-13, 23:48
If the word Scottish is not in the worlds volcabuary, then the denizens of an independant Scotland will never be referred to again. :eek:They could always refer to us as Ginger Jocks.

neilsermk1
21-Jun-13, 12:19
Now that is abusive
They could always refer to us as Ginger Jocks.

bcsman
21-Jun-13, 16:38
Piratelassie! You are one slever of a woman with a huge anti English chip on your shoulder, your foolish and childish posts are bordering racism.
If you are scottish then im ashamed to call myself one.
Im a scot living in Kent, England and i have never experienced any anti scottish feeling what soever.

Just watched an excellent programme on TV called Dig 1940 about excavations around Dunkerque. The artifacts discovered were all refered to as English not Brittish. Is it only me who sees this as an insult to the other nationals of these islands,my father included, or are there any others who see it like me,

secrets in symmetry
21-Jun-13, 21:15
Now that is abusiveOh, I don't know... I don't mind being called a Ginger Jock - it rolls off the tongue quite nicely.

secrets in symmetry
21-Jun-13, 21:22
Piratelassie! You are one slever of a woman with a huge anti English chip on your shoulder, your foolish and childish posts are bordering racism.
If you are scottish then im ashamed to call myself one.
Im a scot living in Kent, England and i have never experienced any anti scottish feeling what soever.I wouldn't worry about a nobody. We true patriotic Scots don't need to identify ourselves with the lowest common denominators. We can be proud of our country, and of ourselves, without being too embarrassed by secessionists.