PDA

View Full Version : Real Ale Pubs

Camra
17-Jun-13, 21:11
As I like a drop of the real stuff, I'd appreciate any info on which pubs in Caithness sell real ale and whats on the pump(s)

Cheers

Rheghead
17-Jun-13, 21:18
I believe Top Joe's always has a real ale option.

hedgehogger
17-Jun-13, 23:03
Wetherspoons in Wick are soon to have a real ale festival, they also sell a selection at the moment. No idea what there is but a quick phone call would clarify this

ss.sv650
22-Jun-13, 14:34
At last another fan !!

The Castletown hotel has Orkney Ale on during the summer and with more support would keep it on i am sure.

We should have more in Caithness but I think its lack of folk trying and staying on it that is the problem.

GIVE IT A GO !!!!!!

changilass
22-Jun-13, 17:32
You could alus ring them and ask as they change guest beers.

billmoseley
22-Jun-13, 18:58
mmmmmmmm real ale now its the only thing i really miss. Timothy Taylor and the Masham black sheep beers being 2 of my Fav

changilass
22-Jun-13, 19:07
Hubby quite likes Landlord, took him down to Keighley for a decent pint. Real ales are all well and good if you can find a decent pub, done wrong they can be absolutely bliddy awful.

billmoseley
22-Jun-13, 19:56
one of the best pubs i ever used for real ale was called the hole in the wall in Scarborough no carpet just tables pork scratching s and damn fine beer

buggyracer
23-Jun-13, 10:46
A few pubs in the county now have the Orkney real ales on tap, The Weigh Inn, The Holborn and I believe the the Halkirk Comm.

secrets in symmetry
23-Jun-13, 18:05
A few pubs in the county now have the Orkney real ales on tap, The Weigh Inn, The Holborn and I believe the the Halkirk Comm.It's great that local bars are supporting local beers. Unfortunately, I don't like Orkney real ales. Perhaps I should drink some more to make sure I don't like them. :cool:

ducati
27-Jun-13, 20:50
Ah! Real Ale. Traditionally brewed since 3 oclock last Wednesday afternoon.

orkneycadian
28-Jun-13, 20:03
You'll be lucky. Most ales nowadays are not ales, as they contain hops, making them a beer (and bitter). Proper ale (no hops) is pretty hard to come by these days. :-(

sids
29-Jun-13, 12:50
You'll be lucky. Most ales nowadays are not ales, as they contain hops, making them a beer (and bitter). Proper ale (no hops) is pretty hard to come by these days. :-(

So do we need a different campaign for "real beer."

secrets in symmetry
29-Jun-13, 13:09
You'll be lucky. Most ales nowadays are not ales, as they contain hops, making them a beer (and bitter). Proper ale (no hops) is pretty hard to come by these days. :-(Lol! What a pedant you are. :cool:

I like hoppy real ales (or beers if you prefer that name).

I don't like Orkney beers for reasons I don't really understand. I don't much like the Black Isle beers either. Perhaps I just need to drink more to acquire their taste.

orkneycadian
30-Jun-13, 12:25
I don't like Orkney beers for reasons I don't really understand.

Don't be embarrassed about it - Neither do we!

Camra
01-Jul-13, 12:33
Things are looking up. Top Joes, the Comm and Weigh Inn all serve RA

Also Castletown, the Seaview at Groats, Norseman, Mackays and Wetherspoons in Wick.

Some lovely stuff out there too.