PDA

View Full Version : My Computer won't close down

scaraben
24-Jan-07, 12:30
NOT EVERYTIME>>>>>>>>>>>>> But from time to time my computer fails to shut down. When I return to my work station its still on. So I have been holding down the button on the computer itself for a few minutes then off it goes. Can you suggest the reason for this and how can I correct it ?
Im on Windows XP with a Compaq Computer & Samsung Monitor.

blueivy
24-Jan-07, 13:12
NOT EVERYTIME>>>>>>>>>>>>> But from time to time my computer fails to shut down. When I return to my work station its still on. So I have been holding down the button on the computer itself for a few minutes then off it goes. Can you suggest the reason for this and how can I correct it ?
Im on Windows XP with a Compaq Computer & Samsung Monitor.

Hi scaraben,

What stage does it get to before failing - for example when you click Shutdown does it do anything? Do you sit and watch it? Does it sit and the 'Shutting down your computer' screen and never leave it?

octane
24-Jan-07, 22:20
Something is running in the background and Windows is waiting for the application to stop. If the application does not stop after Windows gives the shut down command, normally you get a Program Not Responding window and just click "End Now".

If this message is not coming up then it may be a running program causing windows to wait too long for shutdown and therefore stopping the shutdown command. (This happens when a program needs to save a lot of information and cannot close because its needing time to finish the process its doing)

Also when the system just hangs and doesnt shutdown are you able to use windows, or does the screen just freeze on you?

Have you recently installed any programs? Also which anti-virus prog you using as some are problematic and cause your system to hang for some stupid reason.

One thing you could try is after you are finished on the internet, disable your connection prior to shutting down. I know that some people have had this problem.

scaraben
24-Jan-07, 23:29
Thanks to you guys for your suggestions I am most grateful. Exactly what happens is as follows :
(1) I disconnect from the internet (2) I click start in the bottom left of the screen (3) I then click "Turn off computer" (4) A window comes up in the middle of the screen with three options, "Stand by" + "Turn off" + "Restart"
(5) I click "Turn off" and all icons disappear and a message saying that windows is closing down. So I go and have my meal !! When I come back it has not moved any further !! So as I've nothing now to click I just press the button on the computer and hold it there until the screen goes blank. Sometimes I do get a "Program Not Responding window" and just click "End Now". but still have this problem. PLEASE NOTE this doesn't ALWAYS happen ! I'd say it happens something like three out of ten times.

blueivy
24-Jan-07, 23:50
Thanks to you guys for your suggestions I am most grateful. Exactly what happens is as follows :
(1) I disconnect from the internet (2) I click start in the bottom left of the screen (3) I then click "Turn off computer" (4) A window comes up in the middle of the screen with three options, "Stand by" + "Turn off" + "Restart"
(5) I click "Turn off" and all icons disappear and a message saying that windows is closing down. So I go and have my meal !! When I come back it has not moved any further !! So as I've nothing now to click I just press the button on the computer and hold it there until the screen goes blank. Sometimes I do get a "Program Not Responding window" and just click "End Now". but still have this problem. PLEASE NOTE this doesn't ALWAYS happen ! I'd say it happens something like three out of ten times.

There could be numerous things that's causing it what you would need to find out is what you are doing differently on the times it does shut down to the times it doesn't and even then it could be a red herring.

What is important is to make sure you have the latest patches and service packs on your PC as there was an issue with this that was corrected in Service Pack 1 for XP.

See these pages:

Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter (http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php)
Resources to help you troubleshoot shutdown problems in XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308029).
Troubleshooting Windows XP shutdown problems (http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm).Also check out Google as you may find a lot more on there.

octane
25-Jan-07, 00:21
This prob can occur from quite a few things, new hardware or software recently installed, driver problems or worse case virus/trojan.

Just a quick check of your hardware
Start - Control Panel - (then either double click System, or click on Performance and Maintenance Then System....depending on your category view)

This should take you into a box saying System Properties.. Click the hardware tab near the top and then click Device Manager.

Have a look down the list and make sure there is not a yellow exclamation mark there.

Theres a neat program from Microsoft as well that you can download as long as you have a genuine copy of windows. Its called USER PROFILE HIVE CLEANUP..
basically this helps to terminate any programs or apps that are running. You can have a look at this program and do a little reading from M/softs site before deciding if you want to download and try it.
Heres the link to it below

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&mg_id=10043&displaylang=en

scaraben
25-Jan-07, 23:08
I am deeply grateful to both blueivy & octane for your advice. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to check out what you advise as yet, but I have printed out your replies and will impliment soon...thanks again.