PDA

View Full Version : Miller Academy Primary School

ett23
24-Jan-07, 12:19
Hi, just wondering if anyone can tell me what Miller Academy Primary School in Thurso is really like. I've heard good reports about it, but as we're planning on moving up in summer, I would like to know if it's still a good place to send my daughter to school (she's 5 this year). Hoping to enrol her next week. Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Whitewater
24-Jan-07, 13:18
There are several primary schools in Thurso, I don't think that the 'Miller' has the edge on any of the others. Your child may have to attend the school located in district you live in.

Good luck with youn impending move.

bobsgirl
24-Jan-07, 13:26
My son attends Miller Academy and my daughter will be starting after the summer.
I have nieces/nephews that attend Pennyland Primary and all in all I do think that Miller Academy is a more involved School. The have good feedback reputation, which is a big plus in my book. Teachers are very friendly and helpful and there doesnt seem to be a big bullying issue, which I do know happens in every school but not so noticable in Miller.
IMHO Miller is the better school out of the 3 that is in Thurso. But then again if I didnt think that I wouldnt put my kids there!
Good Luck with the move in the Summer, hope it is not too stressful for you!

ett23
24-Jan-07, 13:27
From what the Highland Council said in the ad in the John O' Groats Journal, parents can choose where they want their child to go to school, so it doesn't have to depend on where you live.

ett23
24-Jan-07, 13:29
My son attends Miller Academy and my daughter will be starting after the summer.
I have nieces/nephews that attend Pennyland Primary and all in all I do think that Miller Academy is a more involved School. The have good feedback reputation, which is a big plus in my book. Teachers are very friendly and helpful and there doesnt seem to be a big bullying issue, which I do know happens in every school but not so noticable in Miller.
IMHO Miller is the better school out of the 3 that is in Thurso. But then again if I didnt think that I wouldnt put my kids there!
Good Luck with the move in the Summer, hope it is not too stressful for you!

Thanks bobsgirl, for the advice. Maybe I'll see you at enrollment next week! I'll be the one with the Ross-shire accent!! :lol:

cuddlepop
24-Jan-07, 13:30
There are several primary schools in Thurso, I don't think that the 'Miller' has the edge on any of the others. Your child may have to attend the school located in district you live in.

Good luck with youn impending move.
You can choose where you want your child to be educated but if its outwith your catchment area its your responsibility to get them too and from school.
HC will not provide transport.
Alot will depend if that school has room once they have there kids enrolled in their area.
Best to contact the school ang go and have a look around yourselfes.:D

bobsgirl
24-Jan-07, 13:33
Thanks bobsgirl, for the advice. Maybe I'll see you at enrollment next week! I'll be the one with the Ross-shire accent!! :lol:

You are coming all the way up for enrolements, I am not looking forward to enrolments, makes me feel old!!! Lol!!!

Whitewater
24-Jan-07, 13:37
From what the Highland Council said in the ad in the John O' Groats Journal, parents can choose where they want their child to go to school, so it doesn't have to depend on where you live.

I agree that you can put your child to any school in the district provided there is available space in the particular class, and the school does not have to employ another teacher to accommodate children from outwith the catchment area.

ett23
24-Jan-07, 14:31
You are coming all the way up for enrolements, I am not looking forward to enrolments, makes me feel old!!! Lol!!!
Yup, wouldn't miss enrollment for the world! Really excited about getting to see the inside of the school. Looks impressive from the outside, hope it's just as good on the inside. Do you have to take your daughter with you aswell, or will I leave her behind? And do you get to speak to their new p1 teacher, or is it just the secretary/head teacher you speak to?

bobsgirl
24-Jan-07, 14:56
Yup, wouldn't miss enrollment for the world! Really excited about getting to see the inside of the school. Looks impressive from the outside, hope it's just as good on the inside. Do you have to take your daughter with you aswell, or will I leave her behind? And do you get to speak to their new p1 teacher, or is it just the secretary/head teacher you speak to?

School looks quite good considering the age of it!! You do not have to take kids with you but can if you like. You wont get to meet the teacher just yet as they will not have set out the classes. Both Primary 1 teachers are really nice. You can talk to the Head Teacher anytime and she will give you any info that you require. Not too sure about when you can buy the uniform though, possibly same week as enrolement. You can call them to find out if you like. Uniforms are not that formal, just a sweater with school logo and a logo'ed Polo Shirt, also Jackets are available. Saves a fortune on buying loads of different things if you stick to the uniform.

Royster1911
24-Jan-07, 17:59
Rather than going by word of mouth, which can be biased, ask the school HT what was highlighted in their last HM Inspectors report and what was done to rectify the faults ( they always find some, it`s their job). Miller Academy did not fare very well in their last inspection. Mount Pleasant is still awaiting the result but looks promising. I do not have any kids at school so am not biased. Hope this helps

dragonfly
24-Jan-07, 21:50
both of mine went to Mount Pleasant albeit 2 1/2 years since youngest one left. Absolutely no problems with the school, it is the smallest of the schools in town and had a community feel about it.

lab
24-Jan-07, 23:23
all 4 of my children went to miller, they did get a slating from the inspectors, and still have not got a new head. my youngest left in the summer and i def think his levels of education is not as his older siblings. There is bullying in miller it is just swept under the carpet better than at other local schools i know a number of families who have moved their children. I would if i had to choose again put my children to mount pleasant Mrs Farmer the head is wonderfull she used to teach at miller.

young
25-Jan-07, 00:17
my son goes to miller and i have no problems with anything there. And yes they do have a new Head Teacher appointed who is taking up her post in February. On one occasion i had a concern about something it was dealt with straight away and efficiently:D

Moby
25-Jan-07, 00:47
Lets balance up the scales here now:D . Third child will be enrolling at Pennyland next week and have absolutely no doubt as to my choice of school. Friendly, welcoming and excellent standard of teachers especially at the top end of the school. Keep up the good work!

Lets be honest we are very fortunate to have three very good primary schools within the same town.

fingalmacool
25-Jan-07, 01:24
my boy went to pennyland, and it wasn't down to picking it was down to where the catchment was, however i felt that the teachers there were exceptional, every single one of the teachers my boy had was totally involved in getting the best out of him. they seemed to be more kid orientated, but i can only wax lyrical about my experience. on the other hand his cousin went to miller and there was a few problems, but you cant make a true judgement because everyone's needs are different. In hindsight the head of pennyland was very seldom there (other commitments) but the person standing in was a godsend.(in my opinion). He's back now I believe so ?. And on the other hand the new head of Miller is going to be a local lass comming back to roost as it were, so no doubt she will have a vision of how it should work. i know this wont help you to make up your mind where to put your sprog or sprogs, however in my opinion ( and its not worth much ) is that pennyland are interested in the whole development of a pupil and not just grade crunching.

Mad1man
25-Jan-07, 02:30
Both of my kids went to Miller and had a good experience. They loved it. I have friends who put their kids equally successfully to the other two schools in town. I'd go along with the visit and talk it over plan. Can't hurt.

Moby
25-Jan-07, 10:15
A bit of an afterthought here, but I would suggest that where you live should have a lot to do with what school you choose especially with all the school providing a good education. The friends that your child makes at school will be the friends that he/she will want to play with after school, walk to school with etc. Although Thurso is not that big I have seen children living in one catchment area but going to a different school than the other kids, quite often they don't join in as well with outdoor play. The other thing you should look at is 3 - 4 years down the road when your child old enough to walk to school themselves - do you really want to still be doing the "school run"?

Bill Fernie
25-Jan-07, 20:55
School Inspection reports where they have been done are online at http://www.hmie.gov.uk/

Naefearjustbeer
25-Jan-07, 22:03
School Inspection reports where they have been done are online at http://www.hmie.gov.uk/

Makes interesting reading. Although the reports do have some negative points I am quite sure that all the schools in the county are pretty good compared to the rest of the country.

ett23
25-Jan-07, 22:33
Thanks very much for the link. Very interesting reading indeed!;)
At least I know what to expect now. Hope they make the needed changes and follow through on the advice given.
If we weren't moving we'd be sending our daughter to Knockbreck Primary, and it had a glowing inspection report! Makes me feel rather sad now!!:(

Naefearjustbeer
25-Jan-07, 23:47
Dont worry If i remember at the time the report came out the general consensous was that it was very harsh. All the schools in Thurso have a good reputation locally.

molly
31-Jan-07, 21:03
I am at the same dilemma for which nursery to put my child. my catchment area is miller but i am close to mount pleasant too. the school reports on miller were not good. i also personally thought mount pleasant was a bit poor in the areas concerning the younger children. Lots of difficult decisions to take into consideration. Miller have open day on 6th Feb, Pennyland have open day on 14th feb. However mount plesant have not organised an open day yet. Any mums or dads out there with a bit of personal advise or experience about which nursery or primary school which be much appreciated. My child is currently in barrock street awaiting their fate.!!!!

young
01-Feb-07, 13:10
I am at the same dilemma for which nursery to put my child. my catchment area is miller but i am close to mount pleasant too. the school reports on miller were not good. i also personally thought mount pleasant was a bit poor in the areas concerning the younger children. Lots of difficult decisions to take into consideration. Miller have open day on 6th Feb, Pennyland have open day on 14th feb. However mount plesant have not organised an open day yet. Any mums or dads out there with a bit of personal advise or experience about which nursery or primary school which be much appreciated. My child is currently in barrock street awaiting their fate.!!!!

if your child is in barrock street (playden) i thought they also ran a nursery there for the 4 year olds? Or did you want to put him/her to a school nursery?

bobsgirl
01-Feb-07, 15:56
Our daughter was at Barrock Street and she loved it very much and I was in the same situation as you Molly. I bit the bullet and put her to 3 Bears Nursery this year and to be honest I am so glad I did, her brother went there and he loved it too. The teachers are just lovely and easy to talk to, great at their job.
Barrock Street did want me to keep my daughter there for another year but since she had been there since she was 3 (so in total a year and a half), we decided to change her to another nursery.
I personally think that the transition into School will be a lot better. We walk her through the School on her way to Nursery so she is getting used to the surroundings. Also they do a fair bit of activities within the school, such as gym and music classes.
Every child is different so it is a difficult situation that we are put in as parents to choose the right School for our child.

SEB
01-Feb-07, 20:51
I would tend to agree with you. It's really difficult for parents nowadays - do you keep your child at a playgroup/nursery where they are used to or do you make the move and put them to the nursery associated with the school they will eventually go to? My children also went to Barrock Street (although a good few years ago now!!) and although I also felt under a little bit of pressure to keep them there for their pre-school year, I decided I had to do what would be best for them and move them onto their school's nursery. The school I chose was not only within our catchment area, but was also chosen because all the children living round about us went there too, and would ultimately all make friends and play together outwith school too. I personally think that if you put your child to their school nursery, then the transition will be so much easier for them into primary 1 and beyond. As far as the primary schools (and school nurseries) in Thurso go, I don't think there's that much to choose between them all - and there will be good and bad points in each of them. Good luck to all parents out there who have these difficult decisions to make!!!:roll:

Our daughter was at Barrock Street and she loved it very much and I was in the same situation as you Molly. I bit the bullet and put her to 3 Bears Nursery this year and to be honest I am so glad I did, her brother went there and he loved it too. The teachers are just lovely and easy to talk to, great at their job.
Barrock Street did want me to keep my daughter there for another year but since she had been there since she was 3 (so in total a year and a half), we decided to change her to another nursery.
I personally think that the transition into School will be a lot better. We walk her through the School on her way to Nursery so she is getting used to the surroundings. Also they do a fair bit of activities within the school, such as gym and music classes.
Every child is different so it is a difficult situation that we are put in as parents to choose the right School for our child.

molly
02-Feb-07, 09:48
if your child is in barrock street (playden) i thought they also ran a nursery there for the 4 year olds? Or did you want to put him/her to a school nursery?

my child has just turned 4 now. I could have put my child to school this year but would like a year at school nursery before going into primary one. Already in the upper nursery class in barrock street. Nothing against staying another year but i think my child would benefit a change in enviroment for the next year. different surroundings and different teachers in preparation for the big school.

young
03-Feb-07, 15:22

I feel that the teachers in playden are also lovely there and do a very great job too!! I put my son to playden for the 2 years then into miller academy primary one and he had no trouble settling in or getting used to the surroundings. I feel it just depends on your child as my sisters never went to play group or nursery and they also settled in to school when they went years ago, Its just personal preference!!:)

baggie boy
06-Feb-07, 18:18
"mount plesant have not organised an open day yet"

Mount Pleasant Nursery have organised their open day.