PDA

View Full Version : Housing Application

Sanyo
10-Jun-13, 23:10
A month ago I sent off a Housing application. I recently heard back but it wasn't an offer, it just said if I'm interested they will interview me in my home or over the phone. The letter was sent out to a select group of people and the house will be awarded to the person with the most housing points.

Anyway, I never went through with it because when filling out my Housing application I chose Thurso as my primary housing location, with Wick secondary. The letter was about a vacant house in Wick.

I'm fine with waiting a bit longer to hear of a vacant house available in Thurso, but was I wrong to neglect contacting them about that vacant house in Wick? And is it true you get sent to the bottom of the Housing list if you decline an available house?

appilihp
10-Jun-13, 23:39
officially you weren't offered the house but it might be a good idea to contact them and ask them if it will effect your place on list

Sanyo
11-Jun-13, 01:21
I better contact them in the morning then thanks for your input. Can anybody share some of their housing app stories, like how many points you got etc.

wicker
11-Jun-13, 08:22
If you reject 3 houses then you get removed for 6 months I think. I gave up and have put up with where I stay instead as places I was being offered was worse than where already was.

DunnetKnowe
11-Jun-13, 09:23
You should be grateful that the taxpayers are able to provide you with the offer of a house - beggars can't be choosers.

jacko
11-Jun-13, 10:18
You should be grateful that the taxpayers are able to provide you with the offer of a house - beggars can't be choosers.
i cannot see what tax payers have to do with it, if Sanyo gets a council house wont he/she be paying rent/rates etc. in which case he/she will be contributing towards the system. ??

DunnetKnowe
11-Jun-13, 10:28
i cannot see what tax payers have to do with itThe State provides, subsidises, administers and maintains Council houses. Therefore taxpayers pay for it.

wicker
11-Jun-13, 10:52
so as a tax payer we have a right to reject what offered if not what we require and wait til something more suitable does become available

DunnetKnowe
11-Jun-13, 11:32
If you wish the State to provide you with a house, then be thankful and take what you're given. If you want to pick and choose, then join the real world of the free market where you can pick and choose to your heart's desire.

wicker
11-Jun-13, 11:36
So because can't afford the minimum 10% or even 5% down required for most mortgages nowadays we should just put up with whatever is offered, you are a very small minded person who obvious feels that you are a better class than others.

DunnetKnowe
11-Jun-13, 11:39
So because can't afford the minimum 10% or even 5% down required for most mortgages nowadays we should just put up with whatever is offeredErr, yes, precisely my point. Glad we have a common understanding on this.

Alrock
11-Jun-13, 12:38
Council houses are not subsidised, if anything they turn a profit, it's private renting that is overpriced.

So... If you are worried about the price to the tax payer then council housing is to be encouraged as it helps keep everybody's council tax down plus any claim for housing benefit will be at a lower level thus saving tax payers money.

DunnetKnowe
11-Jun-13, 12:49
Council houses are not subsidised, if anything they turn a profit

Figures please.

And remember to include the bungs to Housing Associations.

Alrock
11-Jun-13, 12:57
Gotta go out, so you could start here....

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/council-housing-is-not-subsidised/798.thread

DunnetKnowe
11-Jun-13, 13:01
Gotta go out, so you could start here....

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/council-housing-is-not-subsidised/798.thread

Great research - the first thing that comes up on Google. And it's not even relevant.

squidge
11-Jun-13, 13:27
So if you think the state shouldnt provide housing for people who cannot afford to buy or rent privately then what would you do with the homeless?

DunnetKnowe
11-Jun-13, 13:35
So if you think the state shouldnt provide hosing for people who cannot afford to buy or rent privately then what would you do with the homeless?No that's not what I said. I said if the State are going to provide housing for those who can't afford one, then those people should be grateful for what they are given and stop moaning about it.

wicker
11-Jun-13, 14:34
Are you including those who are out working to pay the rent or just those on benefits?

squidge
11-Jun-13, 15:33
No that's not what I said. I said if the State are going to provide housing for those who can't afford one, then those people should be grateful for what they are given and stop moaning about it.

Ok - thanks.

sids
11-Jun-13, 18:01
Looks like a 3-bed is about £316 per calendar month. http://www.highland.gov.uk/livinghere/housing/councilhousetenancies/payingyourrent/

Not exactly a free house. You can service a £100,000 mortgage for less.

Cheaper than private rent, but maybe private rent is overpriced.

ducati
11-Jun-13, 20:19
Looks like a 3-bed is about £316 per calendar month. http://www.highland.gov.uk/livinghere/housing/councilhousetenancies/payingyourrent/

Not exactly a free house. You can service a £100,000 mortgage for less.

I don't think so chap. :D

sids
11-Jun-13, 20:28
I don't think so chap. :D

You don't think it looks like the rent is £316?

ducati
11-Jun-13, 20:47
You don't think it looks like the rent is £316?

100k mortgage for £316 per month.

sids
11-Jun-13, 21:01
100k mortgage for £316 per month.

Mine is smaller payment than that, on a bigger loan than that. Interest only.

orkneycadian
11-Jun-13, 22:34
Have you tried getting up the duff, and putting on your application form that if you get deported back to where you came from, they will be bad to you?

Works for most. You'll be having a housewarming by the weekend.

Fran
11-Jun-13, 22:55
A 3 bed house in wick £73

Dadie
11-Jun-13, 23:03
Fran is that per week?
Or month as everyone else is going by?
And how do you creep up the list legit with a chance of getting a 1st house/flat?
still havent heard back about my application over 10 years ago....or any offers of a flat/house....

laguna2
11-Jun-13, 23:05

When/how do you pay back the initial amount you paid for the house?

luskentyre
11-Jun-13, 23:25
No that's not what I said. I said if the State are going to provide housing for those who can't afford one, then those people should be grateful for what they are given and stop moaning about it.

My god you're a charming creature! You make it sound like these houses are handouts! They're obviously not since rent is paid on them. No, those people should not "be grateful for what they are given". Who are "those people" anyway?

Can I respectfully suggest that you try to put yourself into someone else's position before you let your arrogant and insulting fingers loose on a keyboard? It might help you get a more balanced perspective.

DunnetKnowe
12-Jun-13, 08:10
Who are "those people" anyway?

They are those people who need (or feel the need) for the State to provide them with a house.

Droopy
12-Jun-13, 08:48
I believe there are quite a few rents available in Wick for £40/50 a week, it's a sub let though.

The person you rent the house from gets it for nothing from the 'Cooncil' as he/she is on the 'brew'. They then claim all the single person benefits but infact live with their partner and many kids in another house, which again is supplied by the 'Cooncil'.

So not only do that get a third more benefits than if they lived as a couple, they have no rent or council tax to pay and a nice wee rental income too........

ducati
12-Jun-13, 10:43

And the cost of the plan to pay it off (endowment, pension etc)?

rich62_uk
12-Jun-13, 10:58
Father in law in 1964 bought a 3 bed bungalow for £800. Sold it some 30 years later for £150,000, obviously had he of got an interest only mortgage at that time paying off the mortgage would of been something you could of put on your credit card if you wanted to.

The joys of interest only mortgage.

wicker
12-Jun-13, 11:31
They are those people who need (or feel the need) for the State to provide them with a house.

You have such a narrow opinion on people. I am out working, live and pay for all my bills by myself but you look down because I can't afford the down payment for a mortgage

DunnetKnowe
12-Jun-13, 12:02
but you look down At what point did I look down on you? I merely said that if you feel the State should provide you with a house then you should be grateful for that - and I've no reason to suggest that you're not.

hedgehogger
12-Jun-13, 12:14
Father in law in 1964 bought a 3 bed bungalow for £800. Sold it some 30 years later for £150,000, obviously had he of got an interest only mortgage at that time paying off the mortgage would of been something you could of put on your credit card if you wanted to.

The joys of interest only mortgage.

Aye and he would have probably commited suicide in the early 70's when the interest rate was 17-18%!

sids
12-Jun-13, 12:29
When/how do you pay back the initial amount you paid for the house?

And the cost of the plan to pay it off (endowment, pension etc)?

That's another matter. I only said "service a mortgage."

ducati
12-Jun-13, 15:14
That's another matter. I only said "service a mortgage."

Well..OK. but without a plan to pay it orf you arn't servicing it are you? So you can't really compare it to a cheapish rent.

BTW you can in fact rent privately for similar cost giving you abundant choice.

mi16
12-Jun-13, 16:31
Well..OK. but without a plan to pay it orf you arn't servicing it are you? So you can't really compare it to a cheapish rent.

BTW you can in fact rent privately for similar cost giving you abundant choice.

You can compare it, but you will be heading for financial ruin at the end of term.

jacko
13-Jun-13, 19:50
The State provides, subsidises, administers and maintains Council houses. Therefore taxpayers pay for it.

and as a taxpayer, then sanyo is quite entitled to occupy a council house ??????????????. where s the problem

sids
13-Jun-13, 20:15
You can compare it, but you will be heading for financial ruin at the end of term.

Unless you sell it, or (and) the capital owed has dwindled through inflation, or you change your mortgage to pay it off when you are making more money, or you pay it off with a legacy which you get late in life, or with a pension scheme lump sum.

If I have a point at all, it's that renting a council house is a considerable expense, even if cheaper than private.

dandod
13-Jun-13, 22:07
If you wish the State to provide you with a house, then be thankful and take what you're given. If you want to pick and choose, then join the real world of the free market where you can pick and choose to your heart's desire. Aye your saying alot to try to piss everyone off here's the thing dunnetknowe is one of two things a single male on the brew of a female who never worked a day in her life who live of her man or men ha ha

DunnetKnowe
13-Jun-13, 22:31
and as a taxpayer, then sanyo is quite entitled to occupy a council house ??????????????. where s the problem Whether or not Sanyo is a taxpayer or not is immaterial. They feel that the State should provide them with a house - but they are being picky about what they're given. If they really need a house they'd take it. If they are able to be fussy then there can't be much of a need. Beggars can't be choosers.

Sanyo
13-Jun-13, 22:35
Whether or not Sanyo is a taxpayer or not is immaterial. They feel that the State should provide them with a house - but they are being picky about what they're given. If they really need a house they'd take it. If they are able to be fussy then there can't be much of a need. Beggars can't be choosers.

At the end of the day you don't even know me. Don't pass judgement, bye.

mi16
13-Jun-13, 22:49
Whether or not Sanyo is a taxpayer or not is immaterial. They feel that the State should provide them with a house - but they are being picky about what they're given. If they really need a house they'd take it. If they are able to be fussy then there can't be much of a need. Beggars can't be choosers.I completely disagree, if you are paying for the property via rent then you have a right to choose.In that instance the state is not giving you a thing, you are merely using their service and paying for it.If you are living on state handouts then that is a different matter.

DunnetKnowe
13-Jun-13, 23:50
At the end of the day you don't even know me. I do know from your original post that you are wanting the State to give you a house, but when they write to you with a potential offering you choose to ignore it. Therefore you are clearly not needing a house.

mi16
14-Jun-13, 00:04
I do know from your original post that you are wanting the State to give you a house, but when they write to you with a potential offering you choose to ignore it. Therefore you are clearly not needing a house.Jebus where did the op say they wanted a house "given" to them?

Sanyo
14-Jun-13, 00:04
I do know from your original post that you are wanting the State to give you a house, but when they write to you with a potential offering you choose to ignore it. Therefore you are clearly not needing a house.

Okay, come at me with your proverbial reasons as to why I don't need a house. No you don't know me. Get a load of this guy..

DunnetKnowe
14-Jun-13, 00:07
bye.You're back then.

Sanyo
14-Jun-13, 00:11
You're back then.

That's it? :P Thanks for your high level argument, you aren't very good at scoring points.

jacko
14-Jun-13, 09:42
That's it? :P Thanks for your high level argument, you aren't very good at scoring points.

i feel sorry Sanyo, you simply asked a legitimate question and some on here pounced on you.
lol. and i dont think you really got an answer .:~(