PDA

View Full Version : GRRRRRR when are we going to get reasonable ferry and air fairs in Caithness?

Kenn
10-Jun-13, 00:03
I have been looking at getting to Shetland which is not too far away. There are no longer flights from Wick so would need a trip to Inverness , Aberdeen or Edinburgh. There are the ferry crossings but that entails a trip to Aberdeen or a complicated journey from Scrabster on Northlink both ways . I am exploring the discount system but even that does not hold much promise. Any one know a way that costs less than flying to Australia?

Kevin Milkins
10-Jun-13, 07:26
It is a bit of a pain to try and get a reasonable price to anywhere out of Caithness. I can fly from Inverness to Gatwick and then on to Gran Canaria for cheaper than I can go form Wick to anywhere down South.

cazmanian_minx
10-Jun-13, 07:38
It is a bit of a pain to try and get a reasonable price to anywhere out of Caithness. I can fly from Inverness to Gatwick and then on to Gran Canaria for cheaper than I can go form Wick to anywhere down South.

That may change now that FlyBe has sold its Gatwick landing slots from its three times daily Inverness - Gatwick service to EasyJet :( From next year, EasyJet will be the only airline flying Inverness - London and I doubt they'll be using those landing slots for Inverness flights....

Kevin Milkins
10-Jun-13, 09:10
That may change now that FlyBe has sold its Gatwick landing slots from its three times daily Inverness - Gatwick service to EasyJet :( From next year, EasyJet will be the only airline flying Inverness - London and I doubt they'll be using those landing slots for Inverness flights....It was EayJet that I have done always done that route with, but it has been a few years now since the last trip.

ter21wat
10-Jun-13, 09:27
Ferry journeys not that complicated, i do it all the time....

Catch the 19:00 ferry from Scarbster to Stromness arriving approx 20:30 - £15.95

Catch the bus from the Stromness ferry terminal to the Haston ferry terminal at 21:00 - £3.00

Await the ferry at Haston, usually boarding approx 23:00 and arriving in Lerwick approx 07:30 - £16.50 (cabin from £22.65 / Sleeping pod £18 / Reclinging chair £0.00)

Return...

Catch the ferry from Lerwick ferry terminal 17:30 to Haston arrving approx 22:30 - £16.50

Catch the bus from Haston ferry terminal to Stromness ferry terminal (it waits for the boat to dock so is ready for when you get off) - £3.00

Having pre book a cabin on the Hamnavoe board the ferry when you arrive at Stromness, usually approx 23:00 - Approx £46 (including breafast)

Wake up in Scrabster approx 08:00

Seems really long winded but isnt actually that bad...especially if you are doing it in summer (Im usually in the middle of winter / xmas time!). Also a lot easier now you are able to board the hamnavoe on the way back down...I used to have to book a hotel or B&B as they wouldnt let you on until the morning! Think you actually have to call to book the cabin on the Hamnavoe though as it wont let you on the website.

Alternatively get the boat to Orkney and fly to Shetland. :)

mi16
10-Jun-13, 12:22
It's all about supply and demand, if there is not sufficient demand they will not supply

orkneycadian
10-Jun-13, 17:48
Or, for even less money, and more civilised travel;

Catch the 19:00 ferry from Scarbster to Stromness arriving approx 20:30 - £15.95

Catch the 19:30 ferry from Gills to St Margarets Hope, arriving approx 20:30 - £14.00 - Benefit of more time in Caithness, less cost, and a more sheltered trip

Catch the bus from the Stromness ferry terminal to the Hatston ferry terminal at 21:00 - £3.00

Catch the 22:11 bus from St Margarets Hope to Kirkwall, arriving 22:43 - Probably about £3.00 as well

At the bus station, catch the 22:50 transfer bus to the ferry terminal arrive just in time for boarding - Not sure about cost, might be free....

Await the ferry at Haston, usually boarding approx 23:00 and arriving in Lerwick approx 07:30 - £16.50 (cabin from £22.65 / Sleeping pod £18 / Reclinging chair £0.00)

Return...

Catch the ferry from Lerwick ferry terminal 17:30 to Haston arrving approx 22:30 - £16.50

Catch the bus from Haston ferry terminal to Stromness ferry terminal (it waits for the boat to dock so is ready for when you get off) - £3.00

Having pre book a cabin on the Hamnavoe board the ferry when you arrive at Stromness, usually approx 23:00 - Approx £46 (including breafast)

Wake up in Scrabster approx 08:00

Or you could come back with the Pentland Ferries too, but you would need to arrange a B&B in Kirkwall. If you can find one for less than £32, you would be cheaper than Northlink Ferries.

canuck
12-Jun-13, 12:09
Thank you everyone for all of this really helpful information. I have wondered how I would get to Caithness for a visit and now you have figured it out for me. C