PDA

View Full Version : Tesco - good news

Fran
03-Mar-05, 03:58
:lol: I am thrilled that Tesco is coming to wick, i knew I was right, but to see it confirmed in the newspaper has really pleased me. How about everyone else, are you all pleased at this news?????????? :lol: ;)

Highland Laddie
03-Mar-05, 09:03
what newspaper

katarina
03-Mar-05, 09:48
I get the daily record and the graot/courier - dind't see it there.

Little Miss Naughty
03-Mar-05, 10:05
Hi

Does nobody read the papers correctly anymore, what is states in the Courier is "Tesco's chain is known to have firmed up interest in building a new supermarket on the ajoining site up by wick airport". It doesnt say they are definately coming??
It would be quite good if they did and kept there prices low, but seeing this is Caithness they will probably add on extra just for shipping their goods up here. :confused :confused :confused

Smee2
03-Mar-05, 11:17
Tescos has a web-site where you can check up their prices and compare them to other stores. :o)

00Smee
03-Mar-05, 12:26
Precisely and it will take ages for Tesco's to come up here anyway.

Rheghead
03-Mar-05, 12:31
And if they build a petrol station as well then I will show my proverbial in Woolworth's window, that said we shall have to wait and see! [para]

Rheghead
03-Mar-05, 12:40
I have found a P&J report about Tesco coming to Wick

Tesco's in Wick (http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149235&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149218&contentPK=11926233&moduleName=InternalSearch&keyword=tesco&formname=sidebarsearch)

I bet it will be a TescoExpress instead of a full store!!!

mike.mckenzie
03-Mar-05, 13:32
Even they're good though, open late and sell quality microwave meals. As well as cold cold Coors beer. mmmm

Riffman
03-Mar-05, 13:48
You mean SuperExpress! Only half the size of the express version.

donss
03-Mar-05, 15:09
... that'll be SuperExpress Lite ;)

ktb50
03-Mar-05, 15:51
Don't get too excited Tesco is actually quite expensive................

Rheghead
03-Mar-05, 15:52
I have just been talking to a Caithness petrol retailer and he has been assured that Tescos will not be selling petrol. My stunt in woolworths window seems a non-starter...

mickey101
03-Mar-05, 16:40
Hi
If Tesco had to give assurances that they wouldnt sell petrol it just goes to show without a shadow of a doubt that the petrol prices in Caithness are fixed and the local council has no interest in stopping it by introducing health competition.
If the local retailers believe they sell petrol at a competitive price given the business constraints they have to deal with then they have nothing tho fear from a Tesco opening a filling station. As Tesco will have to deal with the same constraints.

At the current price difference between Inverness and Thurso there is an extra 2K of clear profit in every tanker load that comes north.
That money is being fleeced from the local population who have no other choice.

It is funny how petrol prices are fairly constant from Inverness to Lands end. but once you get north of Inverness LOOK OUT.

One day this rip off will end probably when it is too late.

Mickey

smee
03-Mar-05, 16:49
I was informed that a small petrol station in Wick tried to lower his price last year and was spoken to by a larger local petrol station and told in no uncertain terms that he would be made to go under if he did not play the game, but Tesco are big boys so they may just arrive anyway, here's hoping.

Rheghead
03-Mar-05, 16:49
I think the assurances are not coming from Tesco but from the people responsible for giving planning permission in Caithness. :roll:

BTW My insider petrol retailer did admit to a local cartel being in place but tells me the bulk of the petrol fixing is done historically by the oil companies.

smee
03-Mar-05, 16:53
If that were the case then the price would be high all over wouldn't it??

Rheghead
03-Mar-05, 16:55
It is high all over, the local increase is just the icing on the cake

smee
03-Mar-05, 16:59
Very true, I bow to your superior intelect.

Zael
03-Mar-05, 17:06
AFAIK, planning permission cannot be denied on the basis of competition. I think that any councillor trying to support such a block would be out on his rear come the next election, if not lynched.

Rubha_an_Tuir
03-Mar-05, 17:27
Petrol always puzzles me in the north. BP & Shell make inordinate amounts of money. they could, quite easily, subsidise lower petrol prices to undercut everyone, supermarkets included. The lowere price would have negligible effect on their profits as petrol retail accounts for miniscule amounts of revenue. I think it would be rather a good PR stunt actually. I think there is more sinister forces afoot here. I suspect the government has control of the petrol pricing buttons.
In Caithness, independent Petrol Stations "pump" up the prices as they have got too used to the revenue created by a captive customer base. Tesco could adopt a standardised UK pricing but it would hurt local business, therefore generate problems for local cooncillors. I don't like being cynical but as you get older these things start to make sense.
paraphrasing a bit.

Zael
03-Mar-05, 17:36
On the other hand, if petrol prices went down, it would be a huge benefit to local businesses (except the filling stations) and then the councillors that help it through, would benefit even more.

dragonfly
03-Mar-05, 22:03
:lol: I am thrilled that Tesco is coming to wick, i knew I was right, but to see it confirmed in the newspaper has really pleased me. How about everyone else, are you all pleased at this news?????????? :lol: ;)

I'll be delighted Fran! at present, I do an online shop once a month, get it delivered to my in-laws in Inverness and my husband picks it up on his way home from work, which is great but would love to be able to do the shop in person without the trek to Inverness

katarina
03-Mar-05, 22:05
You must be fond! I would not drive all the way to inverness just to shop!

Kenn
03-Mar-05, 23:30
Sorry folks but if Tescos ever gets a large store in Wick or Thurso they will kill off all the independent traders put the filling stations out of business and offer food that has on several occasions been more than suspect..how many products were recalled just last week,three months ago and what about the wine scandal of two years back?
If you pay peanuts to your suppliers I'm afaraid you get monkies. Choice for the consumer goes by the board as they will only stock what they can buy the cheapest from where ever or what they can demand payment for so that it goes onto the shelves.
Check out the national news bulletins and see just how many councils are embroiled in legal batttles over planning regulations being flaunted by this pariah.Might pay also to check and see how many community groups are actively fighting planning applications by this company.

Fran
04-Mar-05, 01:02
:lol: Tesco have paid for the land next to Caithness Glass which they purchased from the airport company. Their plans are lodged with the council, awaiting planning permission. They are not building a petrol station.
If you remember, they applied before for the site where Lidls is now in Wick but were refused, because they wanted to build a filling station ( it would be the first one you come to on arrival in wick) and lodges for B&B. They must be sure they will get planning consent if they have paid for the ground. We will just have to wait and see.

Zael
04-Mar-05, 10:24
LIZZ, name one supermarket that DID NOT have products recalled last week...

dragonfly
04-Mar-05, 10:59
Sorry folks but if Tescos ever gets a large store in Wick or Thurso they will kill off all the independent traders .

Lizz, I for one hardly ever come through to Wick to shop but if and when Tesco's do come, I will be one of the first heading through to do my weekly shop and while I am in Wick I would more than likely head to Boots to pick up some shopping there and while I am parked in town, I'd probably take a wander round the rest of the shops.

So instead of thinking it will kill off independent traders, it may well breathe fresh life into the centre bringing in people who wouldn't normally make the journey to Wick to shop

Rheghead
04-Mar-05, 11:30
Sorry folks but if Tescos ever gets a large store in Wick or Thurso they will kill off all the independent traders put the filling stations out of business

So what? That is competition.

I do not go into Thurso or Wick for the purpose of charitably putting my money into the direction of the town centre traders, I go there to get quality produce. If they stopped supplying it then I will go to the supermarkets more regularly.

As for petrol, if Tesco came in then BP and Esso would lower there prices to the local petrol stations so effectively they will be no worse off than before.

Wick small businesses are not charities...

Zael
04-Mar-05, 12:22
So what? That is competition.

Something thats been needed here for a very long time.

Wick small businesses are not charities...

Here here!!!! Even the charities are more businesslike than the businesses. At least you get good service from them.

Kenn
04-Mar-05, 23:24
All I can say is that I would be very sorry to see the demise of the small businesses that offer me choice,courtesy and value my custom on those occasions that I am in both Wick and Thurso.
In all honesty would you really drive to a Tescos up by the airfield at Wick and then walk all the way down to the centre of town?Once you have loaded up with your purchases you will be headed for home I bet.
Perhaps I should put you in touch with our local chamber of commerce who will confirm that these large stores have a very detrimental effect to existing traders and when the small businesses are all gone it's no good mouring their loss.

2little2late
04-Mar-05, 23:43
All I can say is that I would be very sorry to see the demise of the small businesses that offer me choice,courtesy and value my custom on those occasions that I am in both Wick and Thurso.

Do you think these small businesses really care? After all, because of the lack of competition they charge over the odds any way.

Besides, it's not a Tesco you need. It's an Asda.

mickey101
05-Mar-05, 00:53
Hi
To all those gaurdians of the local traders ( Petrol retailer in particular) If we werent ripped off so much by them, we the people of Caithness wouldnt be so keen to see some healthy competition brought into the county.
I like most people would, and do happily support our local traders when the behave in a fair manner ( and many do ).
When they charge a fair price for the products they sell.
I for one do not expect them to compete with the big concerns. I dont expect to buy a TV in Caithness at the same proce I would get it in Comets. But I am happy to pay a higher but fair price to support my local traders.

What I am not prepared to do is stand in line, get shoddy service,be ripped off and smile while it is all happening.

He who lives by the sword, Dies by the sword.
The local traders who have ripped us off for so long only have their selves to blame for the current feeling in the county.

Mickey

Goldfish
10-Mar-05, 06:42
On Wednesday I was passing on the road into Wick and there was a digger digging up small holes all over the place on the ground between the glass factory and the Case industrial est. Is this preparing for building work?

katarina
10-Mar-05, 09:53
TV in Caithness at the same proce I would get it in Comets. But I am happy to pay a higher but fair price to support my local traders.

Mickey[/quote]

Try Graham Beggs. I got a TV cheaper than a similar one from Comets.

katarina
10-Mar-05, 09:55
On Wednesday I was passing on the road into Wick and there was a digger digging up small holes all over the place on the ground between the glass factory and the Case industrial est. Is this preparing for building work?

Tescos --definately. The council could still put a spanner in the works.

Zael
10-Mar-05, 09:56
The council could still put a spanner in the works.

Unless they want to remain councillors ;)

Rheghead
10-Mar-05, 12:37
Just to add to the conspiracy, could these be test bores for underground petrol tanks?

Smee2
10-Mar-05, 21:01
Charity Shops can afford to be pleasant to people, they do not pay rates! [disgust]

Competition is good!!!

Highland Laddie
10-Mar-05, 21:04
Just to add to the conspiracy, could these be test bores for underground petrol tanks?

Nope, you got it wrong Rheghead
it's for underground classrooms
for those black school kids to improve in.

Naefearjustbeer
10-Mar-05, 21:33
TV in Caithness at the same proce I would get it in Comets. But I am happy to pay a higher but fair price to support my local traders.

Mickey

Try Graham Beggs. I got a TV cheaper than a similar one from Comets.[/quote]

probally a second that fell off of the back of a lorry. [mad]

Similar is not same. I had learned my mistake from buying from that shop a long time ago, I was accused by the man himself of deliberately damaging a stereo to try and get a refund when in fact it got damaged in his repair room. It spent more than 4 months of the 12 month warranty in his workshop because the thing kept breaking down. Needless to say I have not darkened his door in 15 years. Thats a lot of TVs, Microwaves, Fridges etc etc he has lost out on over the years. Bain and Gibsons made a lot of money from me from then on. They always gave a discount on big purchases, delivered the goods prompt and always polite and cheerfull in the shop it is a shame they shut. I am looking forward to an argos opening in the county and a tescos it will be great. More than one shop in thurso has lost me as a customer due to shoddy service and I hope they get what they deserve :eek: