PDA

View Full Version : Word document/floppy disc

doyle
23-Jan-07, 14:10
Can anyone help? Months ago I copied a certain word document on to a floppy disc and then deleted the document from Word to save space on my puter. Last week I inserted the floppy disc and printed out a copy of the document I required, no problems. Today I tried to do the same but the floppy disc aint working, it says disc is not formatted? Is there any way I can get the document back?

octane
23-Jan-07, 14:30
have you tried a different floppy disk to make sure the drive is working ok. If it is then try the disk in a different pc and see if you can access it

keep us posted if your still having bother or if it works

doyle
23-Jan-07, 14:33
Hi octane, yes I have tried another disc in and it is working ok. I will try what you say, thx

blueivy
24-Jan-07, 12:36
Can anyone help? Months ago I copied a certain word document on to a floppy disc and then deleted the document from Word to save space on my puter. Last week I inserted the floppy disc and printed out a copy of the document I required, no problems. Today I tried to do the same but the floppy disc aint working, it says disc is not formatted? Is there any way I can get the document back?

Hi doyle,

As octane says try it in another PC. If it still doesn't work you'll probably find you have a wiped floppy.

Where was it sitting between printing a copy of the document and now?

octane
25-Jan-07, 11:05
if your still having no joy mate ive got the neccessary software for recovering
lost data etc

emb123
25-Jan-07, 11:45
I'd suggest that if there is another PC available that can still read the disk ok (i.e. at a friends or wherever) that you use that PC to copy the entire content of the disk onto that machine's hard disk, then use a fresh formatted floppy, copy the stuff back from the other PC's hard disk onto the new floppy.

Better yet, if you're able to recover the data using a different PC, copy it onto one of those removeable flash drives - you can get a small one for literally just a few pounds and I've found they're invaluable.

The problem happens mainly because the 'azimuth' of the heads in floppy drives varies. Basically there is correct alignment for the head to be 'standard' but very few drives are 100% accurately aligned by the manufacturer which means that some machines cannot read floppies formatted on, or subsequently written to by a different floppy drive. Additionally you can get problems with discs becoming defective, dirt and dust and oxide build-up.

As long as the disc is basically still ok, it's likely that someone will have a drive that can read the data on it :)

Good luck.

Octane's kind offer may be very useful too!