PDA

View Full Version : New Bakery in glass factory

Fran
23-Jan-07, 04:23
I was very surprised to learn that a bakery is being established in the former Caithness Glass factory in wick, and workers are presently in there getting it ready. I have not read about planning permission being applied for. Does anyone know more?

mr do dar
23-Jan-07, 09:52
yeah the bakery as been there for a while now . they do really nice sausage rolls lol

compo
23-Jan-07, 10:15
yes its been then since about mid way through the tesco build and is in a rented unit rented out by newpark. the baker used to be at halkirk and is known as halkirk biscuits and yes he does do smashing pies and sausage rolls.

newpark
23-Jan-07, 10:48
Yes it is Stuart who used to have the bakery in Thurso which is now Jamiesons Bakery. His Halkirk Biscuits are lovely try the toffee shortbread yummy. He has been in there a while now and no planning permission was needed Fran.

DarkAngel
23-Jan-07, 11:25
I didnt know that there was a bakery up there..Is it like a shop? Can you go and buy from there??? :confused

compo
23-Jan-07, 15:14
well when the workers where there he sold pies and the like and many a barr employee went home at the weekend cluthing large boxes of pies and biscuites. though he did keep saying that the whole idea of starting halkirk biscuits was to get away from all that sort of thing as he had ill health due to the stress but got fed up siting around at home. the black stairs fish shop sells his stuff and the wee shop in halkirk but no harm in taking a look in at the glass factory and asking as hes a realy nice bloke.

DarkAngel
23-Jan-07, 16:16
Thanks for that comp..Must take a look next time when i get Fish from the blackstairs to take a look! :D

beena
23-Jan-07, 16:24
Does the man that has the bakery in the glass factory have a shop somewhere because the toffee shortbread sounds good and I would like to try some.

mccaugm
23-Jan-07, 17:24
yes its been then since about mid way through the tesco build and is in a rented unit rented out by newpark. the baker used to be at halkirk and is known as halkirk biscuits and yes he does do smashing pies and sausage rolls.

My dad comes from Ross-Shire and the first thing he demands when he visits is Halkirk Pies. (I am veggie but they do macaroni pies). I had to buy half a dozen when he came up for Xmas for him to take back home. So I reckon thats the best recommendation I can give.

On that thought...I can also recommend "Halkirk Eggs" different company but they are wonderful, very fresh and free range. Not sure of all the outlets but they are sold in the Halkirk Shop.

newpark
23-Jan-07, 19:20
Does the man that has the bakery in the glass factory have a shop somewhere because the toffee shortbread sounds good and I would like to try some.

He sells his biscuits in the shop in Halkirk, right up at the back of the shop. Dont know if he sells out of the factory.

ellie-lou
23-Jan-07, 19:44
that baker stuart that does eh halkirk biscuits etc also has his products for sale in frasers supermarket in thurso as his wife is the supervisor there.:D

Woolie
23-Jan-07, 22:01
I thought A&Ds were gong there?

Murdina Bug
24-Jan-07, 17:18
I thought A&Ds were gong there?

Where? Fraser's Shop or the old glass factory? I presume you mean the glass factory as Frasers have just renovated their shop so I am pretty sure they have no intention of moving!

Haven't heard the A&D story - is your source reliable?

Cookie Monster
24-Jan-07, 20:12
He sells his baking from loads of shops, In Thurso at Frasers, The Fish Shop at the Harbour and Mackays grocers in traill street, At the Hillhead shop in Wick, The Nisa shop in Lybster, The shop in Watten (Woodside Stores), The Corner Shop in Keiss, Post Office in Canisbay and I think some where in bettyhill and of course the Halkirk shop. He also has an outlet in Orkney.
He only supplies wholesale and doesnt sell from the bakery.
Any enquiries you can contact him on 01955 609290.
The Toffee shortbread is excellent as is all his Baking !!

Whitewater
25-Jan-07, 11:46
Sound good. I miss Johny Polsons pies since he retired, they were great.

Rheghead
25-Jan-07, 16:50
There are bakeries and there are bakeries. You can't buy a loaf of bread in some/most bakeries these days, its all cakes and stuff.

captain chaos
25-Jan-07, 21:41
Maybe that’s why Stewart called it Halkirk Biscuits, not a bakery :-).

If ever you get the chance…………….He does an extremely yummy Fresh cream range at the weekends. It’s only in selected shops, Halkirk shop and I think Hillhead shop.

Even typing this has me hankering after his Devils food cake with amarena cherries Gateaux

LybsterLass
28-Jan-07, 23:23
I bought a packet of "Halkirk Biscuits" Parkins biscuits today. Lovely biscuits, I'm going to work through his complete range eventually as his stuff is sooooooo goooood ! Thats me had the Toffee Shortbread and Parkins so far.
Whats everybody elses favourites?

gpwicks
29-Jan-07, 22:52
The ginger toffee cakes are awesome, well good and great value, only bad thing is they are addictive i had four in one day last week mmmmmmm, not good especially after christmas.

Also took some christmas hamper down to edinburgh for christmas and all the girlfriends family loved them !!