PDA

View Full Version : schools and video recording

vectus
31-May-13, 18:28
Hi, I would like to ask if anyone else thinks its wrong for a primary school to hold a detention and video this instead of having a teacher in the room? ( this was not live footage but to be viewed later to see if the kids had behaved)

Ballymore
31-May-13, 20:22
Did this really happen? Personally, I think it's wrong and ridiculous.

starfish
31-May-13, 20:53
what school

sids
31-May-13, 20:57
Why does it matter?

starfish
31-May-13, 21:11
it matters if your child is in that school and left unsupervised for a period of time ok the video could have been watch by the teacher at the time in another room but the op does not state this.

rich62_uk
31-May-13, 21:30
I cant see a problem with it.

mi16
31-May-13, 21:40
If they could learn to behave themselves then they would not be in detention.

starfish
31-May-13, 22:02
i agree with that

sids
01-Jun-13, 10:02
I don't see why some children can't be alone in a room.

billmoseley
01-Jun-13, 16:41
If they hadn't done some thing wrong they wouldn't be there. Why should a teacher give up their time just to look after a naughty child

golach
01-Jun-13, 16:43
Totally agree, if they are in detention, why not video them? I would think it may be CCTV not a video

Droopy
02-Jun-13, 13:35
Sounds very like to me that the OP was hoping for an avalanche of criticism towards the school here. Too much of that sort of thing these days, rather than get to the root of a problem...ie, why was there detention in the first place. They'd rather try and make a big fuss and deflect the focus off on to something or someone else.

Who'd be a teacher these days with fickleness like that?......notice the OPs not posted again, probably because they didn't get the response they were looking for......

Angel
02-Jun-13, 15:30
Not sure if it is wise for a child to be left alone in a room unless it was padded, empty, had motion detectors etc... What if the child had a fit or decided to injure themselves on purpose... would be a horrifying video to watch I feel... Angel...

secrets in symmetry
02-Jun-13, 16:13
Hi, I would like to ask if anyone else thinks its wrong for a primary school to hold a detention and video this instead of having a teacher in the room? ( this was not live footage but to be viewed later to see if the kids had behaved)It wouldn't surprise me if it was illegal.

The most important skill for the child to learn is how to disable the video without being noticed.

vectus
02-Jun-13, 19:14
You are missing the point The purpose of the post was to seek others opinions on weather or not it was good practice to use a video recording in place of a teacher. As the recording would be watched later ( not in real time) any emergency would not be delt with.

ps
The detention was for watching a fight

ducati
02-Jun-13, 21:46
You are missing the point The purpose of the post was to seek others opinions on weather or not it was good practice to use a video recording in place of a teacher. As the recording would be watched later ( not in real time) any emergency would not be delt with.

ps
The detention was for watching a fight

Blimey! What did the fighters get? :eek:

Angel
02-Jun-13, 22:54
If 'any emergency' happened, how would it be dealt with if the recording was to be viewed later? If it was dealt with immediately then it must be be viewed live... or have I missed something? Angel...

secrets in symmetry
02-Jun-13, 23:10
If 'any emergency' happened, how would it be dealt with if the recording was to be viewed later? If it was dealt with immediately then it must be be viewed live... or have I missed something? Angel...If a real emergency had happened, and the kid was seriously harmed, the media would have crucified the teacher, the school, and Highland Council before this thread had been thought of.

mi16
02-Jun-13, 23:17
You are missing the point The purpose of the post was to seek others opinions on weather or not it was good practice to use a video recording in place of a teacher. As the recording would be watched later ( not in real time) any emergency would not be delt with.psThe detention was for watching a fightWas it a recording or real time CCTV?

Dadie
02-Jun-13, 23:33
Depends on if the video was educational on the error of sitting back and doing nothing...
And someone keeping an ear/eye out for trouble...through the door window etc....
And available for a Q&A sesion after the video afterwards!Leading the questions and answers etc.....
If not it was pointless and nothing would be learned over the unacceptable behaviour.
And could be the catalyst in more fighting.

secrets in symmetry
02-Jun-13, 23:52
Dadie, as far as I can tell from the OP's posts, the kids were being recorded on video, but it wasn't being monitored by anyone in real time.

The kids may have been watching a video too, but this wasn't the point of the thread.

Dadie
02-Jun-13, 23:57
In that case its wrong in so many levels!
Detention is a punishment to reflect on the wrongs and try to rectify the wrongs .....
Before "little" wrongs become uncontrollable wrongs....that cannot be nipped in the bud .
If it was my child in detention I would be in 1st in line at the school door to see what I could do to stop it happening again!...not laying blame on anyone else or saying my kid wouldnt do that....more that has happened now where do I go now?...and what is the school doing about it!...
Grounding seems to punish everyone else in the house for the school kid at the moment and is grim going and works for only certain things....so gg help me when bullying becomes an issue (tables turned) for us!
Been there as a kid and hated school because of bullies myself.................

Droopy
03-Jun-13, 06:50
Dadie,
You really are the bestest bestest mummy in the whole wide world........

secrets in symmetry
03-Jun-13, 23:23
Dadie,
You really are the bestest bestest mummy in the whole wide world........She sure is. :cool:

She's also the most delicious. :cool:

Dadie
04-Jun-13, 11:30
No im not...
Im just under no illusion that kids are little angels.
And yup if the school says something happened "something" did happen(something big enough for the school to notice so something def happened)...if its your kid involved you get one side of the story(if lucky)....and if you talk to the other childs mum you get another version of the story ...somewhere in the middle there is the truth....maybe after hearing the bystanders stories too....

Do they still get lines in detention?
Good handwriting practice if nothing else!

secrets in symmetry
04-Jun-13, 23:49
No im not...We on this forum think you are. :cool:

I should ask my lawyer friend if it's illegal for schools to leave kids alone in a classroom for significant periods.

jimbews
06-Jun-13, 15:37
I should ask my lawyer friend if it's illegal for schools to leave kids alone in a classroom for significant periods.
You should also ask if it is legal to record for such a purpose.
Quite some time ago I threatened to record CCTV from a PC classroom to see who was abusing the rules.
Got hauled over the coals by our data protection people.
The hoops you have to jump through to justify the use of video recording, and who can review the recording, etc, etc...

On the other hand I do agree that perhaps we shouldn't be too quick to jump to excuses why kids can't be punished for misdemeanors: now we seem to have ended up with the "I can do as I like: you can't touch me" syndrome.

secrets in symmetry
06-Jun-13, 22:22
You should also ask if it is legal to record for such a purpose.
Quite some time ago I threatened to record CCTV from a PC classroom to see who was abusing the rules.
Got hauled over the coals by our data protection people.
The hoops you have to jump through to justify the use of video recording, and who can review the recording, etc, etc...That's a good point. Could the school be breaking the law in two ways?

Droopy
07-Jun-13, 06:57
I've got a good idea.

If a child has detention (I'm presuming it was lunch time in this case), how about a parent of each child has to go in to the school and sit with their little angel while they're doing their punishment..?

That way there's no camera needed, the teachers get their lunch breaks, there are no legal issues and the child has time to reflect with mummy or daddy why their there in the first place..........

And before the fickle roll out all the excuses about, I work / have other kids to look after / have no transport / watch The Jeremy Kyle Show then........so what, school isn't a tax payer provided baby sitter for your child so that he/she can disrupt others wanting an education.

Why should staff give up their time, because your child can't behave?....

Alrock
07-Jun-13, 07:38
And before the fickle roll out all the excuses about, I work....

That is not a fickle excuse.... You're not allowed to stay at home to look after your kids these days, as soon as they reach the age of 7 as far as the Government is concerned you have to be working or at least looking for work...

Droopy
07-Jun-13, 08:45
That is not a fickle excuse.... You're not allowed to stay at home to look after your kids these days, as soon as they reach the age of 7 as far as the Government is concerned you have to be working or at least looking for work...The point I was making is that if a parent had to take time off their work or spend their own lunchtime looking after their own child in detention.........I'd think behaviour at schools would vastly improve.

You can't blame the Government for everything.............

mi16
07-Jun-13, 09:06
And what happens when the parent refuses to attend little Dereks detention, does he get off with it?
I cant see why the kids were detained if it was for watching a fight, what exactly did they do wrong there?
I would be challenging the schools decision, and questioning their supervision if fights are allowed to break out on school grounds.

secrets in symmetry
07-Jun-13, 23:53
I cant see why the kids were detained if it was for watching a fight, what exactly did they do wrong there?Perhaps they were punished for not joining in. They could have stopped the fight, but they chose not to, which is not very community minded....

Alrock
08-Jun-13, 00:53
The point I was making is that if a parent had to take time off their work or spend their own lunchtime looking after their own child in detention.........

Not all employers are that understanding & let their employees drop everything & rush of to school because little Johnny has got himself detention...
As for lunchtime... They might be working some distance from their child's school & half an hour (yes, not everybody gets a full hour for lunch) just wouldn't be long enough to do so. Also may not coincide with the schools lunchtime...

So just admit it... Your ideas are just ill-conceived, reactionary and unworkable...

Besides... This boils down to the Nature Vs Nurture debate & can clearly see that you fall heavily on the Nurture side. I take it you either don't have children or you have been blessed with little angels who never set a foot wrong.

Droopy
08-Jun-13, 07:24
As for lunchtime... They might be working some distance from their child's school & half an hour (yes, not everybody gets a full hour for lunch) just wouldn't be long enough to do so. Also may not coincide with the schools lunchtime...Meanwhile, back on planet Caithness...........

Alrock, the 2 parents/guardians of every single child in Wick or Thurso High Schools don't both work full time, 30 miles away from the school for Draconian style bosses who only get 30 mins for lunch. Your argument, as usual uses niche situations in your constant battle against common sense. You find a problem for every solution.

My suggestion was merely to highlight the point that if the parents of children receiving detention could maybe concentrate on why they are there in the first place, rather than concern themselves feeling hard done by blaming schools and teachers of the rights and wrongs of alleged video supervision, the whole detention scenario would be avoidable in the first place.

So for the avoidance of doubt I'd estimate that 95% of either one parent or another would be available one lunchtime a week (or the following week) to go to school and sit with "little Johnny" so that the teacher doesn't have to give up their lunchtime looking after a child of someone else's who can't behave.

If caring mums and dads can take time or days off work for hair appointments, school sports days, dentist appointments, car services, fishing trips or to wait in for a new flat screen TV coming, surely the importance of their child's education and behaviour is second to none?......

mi16
08-Jun-13, 09:25
Perhaps they were punished for not joining in. They could have stopped the fight, but they chose not to, which is not very community minded....Try to stop the fight and and up getting thumped, I don't think so.
Where was the supervision for the kids?

secrets in symmetry
08-Jun-13, 22:20
Try to stop the fight and and up getting thumped, I don't think so.The "heroes" wouldn't risk getting thumped if they intervened in numbers.

Where was the supervision for the kids?Perhaps someone from the school in question can post here and tell us.