PDA

View Full Version : Sir Chris Hoy abused by ignorant biggots

equusdriving
31-May-13, 13:11
What a disgraceful way to treat our sporting legend!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10087642/Nationalists-call-Sir-Chris-Hoy-a-traitor-to-Scotland.html

mi16
31-May-13, 13:49
Doesnt surprise me in the least.
Sir Chris Hoy is bang on with his statement also.

The unwashed are doing a great job of derailing their own campaign.
Little wonder the NO camp do not do much campaigning, the YES Scotland team are doing all the work for them.

squidge
31-May-13, 15:02
Its a terrible way to treat anybody. its awful that Chris Hoy is receiving this sort of treatment. I was reading yesterday that Frankie Boyle has also had this sort of thing because of his support for Independence. In fact he has had specific threats made against his family and his address published with encouragements to do him harm. I can only hope that Chris Hoys abuse doesnt become as horrid as that.

mi16
31-May-13, 15:16
Are you sure it wasnt the disabled children and breast cancer gags that attracted the threats against him.

Rheghead
31-May-13, 16:04
Its a terrible way to treat anybody. its awful that Chris Hoy is receiving this sort of treatment. I was reading yesterday that Frankie Boyle has also had this sort of thing because of his support for Independence. In fact he has had specific threats made against his family and his address published with encouragements to do him harm. I can only hope that Chris Hoys abuse doesnt become as horrid as that.

Are you asking us for sympathy for Frankie Boyle? How much sympathy does he have for his subjects of verbal abuse? Sir Chris is a gentleman, he doesn't deserve that.

equusdriving
31-May-13, 16:27

would that be the same Frankie Boyle that made sick jokes about cancer sufferers, abuse victims, black people, disabled people etc etc
http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/07/frankie-boyles-top-10-controversial-gags-from-katie-price-to-madeleine-mccann-3530889/

I think he is lucky he hasn't been lynched[evil]

squidge
31-May-13, 17:04
I cant stand frankie Boyle. But it never crossed my mind that its ok for people to abuse him and yet not ok for people to abuse Chris Hoy. I was sure that if you guys were condemning internet abuse you would condemn all Internet abuse. Its never acceptable to behave in such a way no matter who the victim is.

Rheghead
31-May-13, 17:12
What comes around, goes around.

squidge
31-May-13, 17:16
Oh ok - so what I thought was a serious discussion about Internet abuse and its vile insinuation into our life is only about internet abuse of those people we like!

Just so as I dont get mixed up again - who do you guys think its ok to abuse, threaten and intimidate and who do you think should be protected from that. I would hate to expect you to be consistent and fair!!!:roll:

Rheghead
31-May-13, 17:20
Oh ok - so what I thought was a serious discussion about Internet abuse and its vile insinuation into our life is only about internet abuse of those people we like!

Just so as I dont get mixed up again - who do you guys think its ok to abuse, threaten and intimidate and who do you think should be protected from that. I would hate to expect you to be consistent and fair!!!:roll:

Anyone who deals in the currency of verbal abuse deserves verbal abuse, no?

squidge
31-May-13, 17:24
Verbal abuse within the confines of his profession yes - threats to his family and personal intimidation - no.

Internet abuse is vile and insidious and should be condemned across the board. Accepting it as ok for people like frankie Boyle and Chris Hoy makes it acceptable for everyone.

If we say we looooooooooooooooove Chris Hoy because he is so Good and shouldnt be subject to this and we haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate Frankie Boyle because he is is so horrible so its ok for people to threaten his family - that doesnt make the slightest bit of sense.

cptdodger
31-May-13, 17:27

And I would not repeat on here anything that has come out of Frankie Boyle's mouth in the guise of "comedy". Has it occurred to you that he does not give one iota who he hurts for a laugh? All Chris Hoy has done is give his life to his sport and won numerous gold medals for GB. He has never set out to abuse anybody - ever. The same cannot be said for Frankie Boyle.

badger
31-May-13, 17:35
Anyone who deals in the currency of verbal abuse deserves verbal abuse, no?

Actually no. That sort of tit for tat should have been left behind in the playground. Abuse has no place on the internet or anywhere else, it achieves nothing.

equusdriving
31-May-13, 17:38
I cant stand frankie Boyle. but I guess times are hard and the yes campaign cant afford to be too fussy who it champions, after all, every vote counts eh [lol]

equusdriving
31-May-13, 18:09
Are you sure it wasnt the disabled children and breast cancer gags that attracted the threats against him.
Yes that seems about right.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/317341/Frankie-Boyle-troll-terror/

squidge
31-May-13, 18:13
I dont like Frankie Boyle as I have said on here many times. I dont find him funny nor much of what he says acceptable. I turn him off if he is on my television. I do like Chris Hoy who has worked hard and been an excellent role model. However I dont think it is acceptable to abuse anyone, so for the same reasons that I condemn the abuse of Chris Hoy, i also condemn the abuse of Frankie Boyle. Having been on the end of abuse ... Abuse that required reporting to the police- i know precisely how unpleasant it can be. It exists across the whole of the twittersphere and is never acceptable regardless of who it is aimed at.

equusdriving
31-May-13, 18:19
I dont like Frankie Boyle as I have said on here many times. I dont find him funny nor much of what he says acceptable. I turn him off if he is on my television. I do like Chris Hoy who has worked hard and been an excellent role model. However I dont think it is acceptable to abuse anyone, so for the same reasons that I condemn the abuse of Chris Hoy, i also condemn the abuse of Frankie Boyle. Having been on the end of abuse ... Abuse that required reporting to the police- i know precisely how unpleasant it can be. It exists across the whole of the twittersphere and is never acceptable regardless of who it is aimed at.

can you give us a link to this "Independence" abuse you mention? as I can only find reports of him being abused over "sick jokes" and football.

golach
31-May-13, 19:11
Squidge, how can you compare Sir Chris with that Glasgow foul mouthed unfunny nyaff?

mi16
31-May-13, 20:04
Just to make things clear here, I in no way condone the abuse thrown at Sir Chris Hoy or Fankie Boyle.
My post was aimed to point out that Mr Boyles method of making ends meet will attract a fair bit of critisism. Which is more likely to be the reason for the threats rather than his views on independance.

The thing that people do not apreciate though is that his comedy is not necessarily his opinion, he is basically an actor, director, producer and writer all rolled into one. Mr Boyle is actually extremely intelligent.
He has noticed a gap in the market for his brand of crass and shocking comedy and has made himself a multi millionaire by fillng that gap.

secrets in symmetry
31-May-13, 23:15
What a disgraceful way to treat our sporting legend!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10087642/Nationalists-call-Sir-Chris-Hoy-a-traitor-to-Scotland.htmlIndeed.

Secessionist filth should consider their own position, for who knows what fate awaits them after their referendum is lost.

Rheghead
01-Jun-13, 11:54
Indeed.

Secessionist filth should consider their own position, for who knows what fate awaits them after their referendum is lost.

I really hope, whatever the decision, both sides will unite behind the decision and make Scotland a better place to live. The independence question should be asked and permanantly answered.

ducati
01-Jun-13, 17:15
I really hope, whatever the decision, both sides will unite behind the decision and make Scotland a better place to live. The independence question should be asked and permanantly answered.

Err...right.;)

secrets in symmetry
01-Jun-13, 21:24
I really hope, whatever the decision, both sides will unite behind the decision and make Scotland a better place to live. The independence question should be asked and permanantly answered.Why would anyone support the wrong decision? I would get the Dante out of here before the economy collapsed. I have no wish to live in the failed parochial country that a seceded Scotland would become.

mi16
01-Jun-13, 21:52
Why would anyone support the wrong decision? I would get the Dante out of here before the economy collapsed. I have no wish to live in the failed parochial country that a secceded Scotland would become.I tend to agree, flogging a house in Caithness may be a stumbling block though

secrets in symmetry
01-Jun-13, 22:12
I tend to agree, flogging a house in Caithness may be a stumbling block thoughIt's not just Caithness. House prices would collapse, and demand would fall everywhere in the country.

PantsMAN
02-Jun-13, 09:56
Indeed.

Secessionist filth should consider their own position....

Ah, the sweet sound of reasoned debate - nothing beige here - just the faint red mist of hate-filled bile.

It's always good to take the moral high-ground - isn't that right SIS? :lol:

ducati
02-Jun-13, 09:58
Ah, the sweet sound of reasoned debate - nothing beige here - just the faint red mist of hate-filled bile.

It's always good to take the moral high-ground - isn't that right SIS? :lol:

Just remind me, which side of the fence does SIS sit on? I've lost track.

PantsMAN
02-Jun-13, 10:31
Just remind me, which side of the fence does SIS sit on? I've lost track.

The side for the intelligentsia, viz. the ones who know so much more about everything.

Whereas the rest of us who make up the 'commonality', struggle with big ideas.

equusdriving
02-Jun-13, 20:01
can you give us a link to this "Independence" abuse you mention? as I can only find reports of him being abused over "sick jokes" and football.

guess that's a no then :roll:

mi16
02-Jun-13, 22:17
Once again facts on the org are exposed as complete and utter bull excrement

secrets in symmetry
02-Jun-13, 23:55
Once again facts on the org are exposed as complete and utter bull excrementWhich "facts" are you referring to?

mi16
03-Jun-13, 08:44
Which "facts" are you referring to?That Frankie Boyle has been abused due to his support for Scottish independence

squidge
03-Jun-13, 10:53
Mi16 lets see what I said shall we?

Did I present this as fact???? No. I assumed this was a thread about Internet abuse and replied accordingly. I READ it. I read it on twitter, I read it in the Herald and I read it on Wings over Scotland. I made a distinction about what I had read and what appeared to be FACT - which is that there had been threats against his family and his address had been published. You should have just asked if you wanted to know where I read it.

I assumed this thread was about the horror that is internet abuse and not about making cheap jibes but as usual I was wrong.

So here just for you and golach who cant seem to read a post from beginning to end either.....

Internet Abuse is appalling. Neither Chris Hoy not Frankie Boyle should be subjected to this sort of behaviour. No one should. The FACT is that it happens across the whole sphere of Social Media. Whether we like people or not is immaterial - if people are going about their lawful business- whether that is being a saint or a foul mouthed comedian - they shoudl not have to endure threats, insults and fear. It is to be condemned absolutely and to do anything other than that exposes people as utter and complete hypocrites.

If you are making a cheap political dig by repeating the lie that only "cybernats" behave this way then Ill send you some of the vile filth that I have had in my in box over the last year. You'll have to give me an email address though cos it wouldn't get almost one word past the censor on here.

equusdriving
03-Jun-13, 11:26
Mi16 lets see what I said shall we?

Did I present this as fact???? No. I assumed this was a thread about Internet abuse and replied accordingly. I READ it. I read it on twitter, I read it in the Herald and I read it on Wings over Scotland. I made a distinction about what I had read and what appeared to be FACT - which is that there had been threats against his family and his address had been published. You should have just asked if you wanted to know where I read it.

I assumed this thread was about the horror that is internet abuse and not about making cheap jibes but as usual I was wrong.

So here just for you and golach who cant seem to read a post from beginning to end either.....

Internet Abuse is appalling. Neither Chris Hoy not Frankie Boyle should be subjected to this sort of behaviour. No one should. The FACT is that it happens across the whole sphere of Social Media. Whether we like people or not is immaterial - if people are going about their lawful business- whether that is being a saint or a foul mouthed comedian - they shoudl not have to endure threats, insults and fear. It is to be condemned absolutely and to do anything other than that exposes people as utter and complete hypocrites.

If you are making a cheap political dig by repeating the lie that only "cybernats" behave this way then Ill send you some of the vile filth that I have had in my in box over the last year. You'll have to give me an email address though cos it wouldn't get almost one word past the censor on here.

I still cant find any actual facts regarding Frankie Boyle being abused over his support for Independence?

mi16
03-Jun-13, 11:28
Did I present this as fact???? No. I assumed this was a thread about Internet abuse and replied accordingly. I READ it. I read it on twitter, I read it in the Herald and I read it on Wings over Scotland.

What was the point in posting if you were not presenting it as a factual?

equusdriving
03-Jun-13, 11:34
I assumed this thread was about the horror that is internet abuse .

No the thread was posted, to point out the way that the same people who were hailing him as the "Great Scottish Hero" for his Olympic feats, suddenly turn on him and disown him because he doesn't agree with their bigoted, rose tinted pipe dream.
And shows to me that parts of the pro-Independence support groups are no better than the NF, EDL etc
Disgraceful [evil]

equusdriving
03-Jun-13, 11:37
What was the point in posting if you were not presenting it as a factual?

yes indeed, and also included the words "in fact" sounds like a factual presentation to me too

squidge
03-Jun-13, 12:23
I had just read it thats all. I had read it, remembered the twitter stuff then flicked onto this page and thought it was interesting - the police have been involved according to the Herald which is why I added that part as a fact. Frankie Boyle is about as poles apart from Chris Hoy as it is possible to be - I thought it was a useful illustration.

There are a long long list of people abused on social media. Google it - stick your pin in and take your pick. Some of them are in the public eye and some of them arent. Some of them I like and some I dont. Abuse by the internet is not acceptable whoever you are.

If what you want to say is that the Campaign for independence is inherently unpleasant and full of people who are nasty mean minded and insulting then say it Mi16. I will copy here what Wings Over Scotland has to say about it

So far as we can establish, then, the guidelines go: 1. Disgusting, hate-filled cybernats must not be allowed to criticise in even the mildest of terms anyone who is opposed or neutral to independence, and must be endlessly condemned and disowned by the YES campaign the SNP and Alex Salmond personally at every instance of some anonymous internet loony being a bit rude to a British darling.

2. “Better Together”, however, are never to be held responsible for the actions of extremists who support the Union. It’s fine to accuse nutter-fringe Scottish nationalists of anti english racism and blame the SNP for their actions whether they’re members of the party or not, but for some reason Blair McDougall and Alistair Darling are not conversely accountable for pro-Union racists like the BNP, EDL or Orange Order.

3. People who make controversial and/or offensive statements in favour of independence are basically asking for it, and can expect no media sympathy.

4. Unionists who make controversial and/or offensive statements, though, must have their right to free speech defended at enormous length, even if it’s been impossible to switch on teh television and hearing them and seeing their face for months. Anyone exercising their lawful right to protest peacefully against them must be declared a “fascist”.

5. It is, however, absolutely fine to call the SNP and supporters of independence fascists and racists (or even sessecionist filth - sq) even if you’re not just some ranting anonymous internet sociopath with 26 followers on Twitter, but an elected member of parliament or a journalist on a respected newspaper with an audience of millions.

Have we missed anything? Abuse must always be condemned, but free speech must always be protected, unless the person speaking freely is in favour of independence, in which case it’s Rafferty's rules.

You cant follow the links he has on here but you can find them on his page if you want. Im not linking because I havent time to read the comments to be sure they dont include swearing.

Is there something different that you want me to say?

equusdriving
03-Jun-13, 12:41
Is there something different that you want me to say?

No, just a link showing the connection between the Frankie Boyle abuse and independence?

squidge
03-Jun-13, 12:53
Ok Equus I relented and took you off ignore.

There is a link to the screenshot where "Britain First" asks for Frankie Boyls address so they can take "direct Action" I cant link to it here because the language is not suitable. If you want the link pm me and ask nicely :roll:

mi16
03-Jun-13, 13:05
Who is this wings you speak of?
I thought they were a band from the early seventies that released "Mull of Kintyre" and "Live and Let Die" fronted by that annoying singer / songwriter Paul McCartney.
From reading their article you posted they certianly dont look like a bona fide media outlet.

I do agree with the social media abuse thing though, but for the life of me I cannot understand why anyone who was abused on it would remain part of that network, just delete your account and bingo no more abuse.

squidge
03-Jun-13, 13:16
Aye you would think so wouldnt you - but its harder to do that and stay connected to whats going on in the world if youa re part of that world.

Wings over Scotland is a pro independence blog. I quoted him here for his opinion - which I thought was relevant to the argument that there are nats cybernats and lots of lovely anti independence folk who never say nasty things to anyone.

Just for the record and so no one gets the wrong end of the stick - its opinion - did you get that? Opinion........ take it or leave it your choice.

mi16
03-Jun-13, 13:22
Aye you would think so wouldnt you - but its harder to do that and stay connected to whats going on in the world if youa re part of that world.

Wings over Scotland is a pro independence blog. I quoted him here for his opinion - which I thought was relevant to the argument that there are nats cybernats and lots of lovely anti independence folk who never say nasty things to anyone.

Just for the record and so no one gets the wrong end of the stick - its opinion - did you get that? Opinion........ take it or leave it your choice.

I wouldnt know really, I dont do facebook or twitter.
Any idiot can pen a blog claiming this that or the other. Its just layman with too much time and a keyboard.
A bit like us all here.

squidge
03-Jun-13, 13:24
Absolutely Mi16 but sometimes they say something relevant to a discussion and I thought that it was relevant.

And yes - idiots all of us - but at least im sitting in the garden!!!

equusdriving
03-Jun-13, 13:49
Ok Equus I relented and took you off ignore.

I expect you must have a lot of people on ignore, if that is your reaction to anyone who questions your inaccurate sweeping statements:lol:

There is a link to the screenshot where "Britain First" asks for Frankie Boyls address so they can take "direct Action"
oh is that the one made in reaction to his sick joke about "the Queen dieing " NO sorry I Couldn't find any mention of "supporting Independence" as a motive?:confused

If you want the link pm me and ask nicely oh is that like I should tell you why I shouldn't vote Yes, rather than you showing me why I should :confused

squidge
03-Jun-13, 14:03
I expect you must have a lot of people on ignore, if that is your reaction to anyone who questions your inaccurate sweeping statements:lol:

Nope its cos you do this endless tit for tat thing which is boring for me and for anyone else to read. You are the only person I have on ignore at the moment.

oh is that the one made in reaction to his sick joke about "the Queen dieing " NO sorry I Couldn't find any mention of "supporting Independence" as a motive?:confused

Erm lets see - nope - I dont beleive it was - I did see the original twitter thread but it has rightly been deleted, since you havent asked me for the link I guess you just wanted to make a point that I didnt have a link and arent really interested in seeing it. As an aside, even if he made a joke about the queen dying it is STILL not acceptable to threaten his home and his family - although you seem to think it makes it ok.... I dont understand that.

oh is that like I should tell you why I shouldn't vote Yes, rather than you showing me why I should :confused

equus I dont give a flying fig what you vote. I have no interest in you at all. I answered these posts on this thread because i am a bit lazy today after a crazily busy weekend and have time to mooch about on here not doing very much else really. I simply post my own opinions about why I - me - squidge is voting FOR independence - you can take them or leave them as you choose.

Now honey, Im going to stick you back on ignore before this starts going around and around. You have no intention of changing your mind about independence - You arent interested in what I say, you are absolutely set in your own way and that is fine. Im not getting sucked into the tit for tat thing you seem to enjoy so much. If you want to talk to me about independence then Pm me and we can do it that way or we can meet over a coffee but I cant be bothered with you here.

PS I just had a thought - maybe you cant pm me if you are on ignore. PM someone else and ask them to let me know and we can sort it that way.

mi16
03-Jun-13, 14:19
Squidge, before this turns into another pro/anti independance argy bargy.
Are you open to changing sides to the No camp?

squidge
03-Jun-13, 14:28
Mi16 I have said that I reserve the right to change my mind. I said that right at the start of this. I vote for Independence because I think it offers us the best chance of a better, fairer and more equal society. I have spent much of my life trying to do this in small ways and seen good ideas and good work squandered. Dont get me wrong, Im no saint. I just believe that Independence gives us the opportunity to change society that we have not had in years within the Union. I want to take that chance. If the Union offered us the same opportunities for change then Yes I may have decided that staying within the union was the right thing to do. I cant see that Mi16 and nothing I have seen since i started looking into this has shown me there is the remotest possibility of having the opportunity to make fundamental changes to our society within the union as it is today. If something startling happened then I would have to reassess my position and I would not rule out changing my mind and voting for the Union.

Just as an aside - I had no intention of turning this into a pro anti independence debate. I didnt post with the intention of doing so. You accused me of talking rubbish and that was not on.

mi16
03-Jun-13, 14:33
Mi16 I have said that I reserve the right to change my mind. I said that right at the start of this. I vote for Independence because I think it offers us the best chance of a better, fairer and more equal society. I have spent much of my life trying to do this in small ways and seen good ideas and good work squandered. Dont get me wrong, Im no saint. I just believe that Independence gives us the opportunity to change society that we have not had in years within the Union. I want to take that chance. If the Union offered us the same opportunities for change then Yes I may have decided that staying within the union was the right thing to do. I cant see that Mi16 and nothing I have seen since i started looking into this has shown me there is the remotest possibility of having the opportunity to make fundamental changes to our society within the union as it is today. If something startling happened then I would have to reassess my position and I would not rule out changing my mind and voting for the Union.

Just as an aside - I had no intention of turning this into a pro anti independence debate. I didnt post with the intention of doing so. You accused me of talking rubbish and that was not on.

Fair enough Squidge.
I stand by my posts

equusdriving
03-Jun-13, 14:38
As an aside, even if he made a joke about the queen dying it is STILL not acceptable to threaten his home and his family - although you seem to think it makes it ok.... I dont understand that.
Try reading my post properly (something you often go on about) and you will see that I haven't said that it was acceptable, I SAID I DIDN'T THINK IT HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH HIS VIEW ON INDEPENDENCE (which you have given no info to prove otherwise, only thrown your dummy yet again!)
which was the whole point of your original post:confused

Im not getting sucked into the tit for tat thing you seem to enjoy so much.
hold on who started the thread and who posted a tit for tat Independence based comment ? which yet again when questioned have no interest in validating, only hitting the ignore button!

squidge
03-Jun-13, 14:40
Fair enough Squidge.
I stand by my posts

I wouldnt expect you to do otherwise :D

squidge
03-Jun-13, 14:41
Try reading my post properly (something you often go on about) and you will see that I haven't said that it was acceptable, I SAID I DIDN'T THINK IT HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH HIS VIEW ON INDEPENDENCE (which you have given no info to prove otherwise, only thrown your dummy yet again!)
which was the whole point of your original post:confused

?:lol:

Then we agree - so we part friends Equus - thats good. Ta ra now luv

equusdriving
03-Jun-13, 14:45
Then we agree - so we part friends Equus - thats good. Ta ra now luv

and they wonder why in polls the vote yes support is at such a low :lol:

Rheghead
03-Jun-13, 16:30
The SNP's greatest political weapon is in the minds of its most gullible and evangelical converts.

piratelassie
03-Jun-13, 18:13
How the hell does Chris Hoy KNOW
that independence could harm Scottish sport?

equusdriving
03-Jun-13, 18:43
How the hell would he not know? and "knowing" and "knowing it could" are completely different statements! how many of the Scottish team GB medalists live and train at facilities in Scotland?, and how many would have had the same success if they had, remind me where pro-independence supporter Andy Murray Lives and trains?

golach
03-Jun-13, 18:46

The same way as I and many others do

Rheghead
03-Jun-13, 19:35

That is a simple question to answer and it applies to anything and everything. The UK takes advantage of factors of scale to keep peripheral costs down. One UK olympic committee is funded by 60 million will cost us less than a Scottish olympic committee paid for by 5 million. 12 times cheaper to the individual citizen in fact. Same argument applies for the diplomatic service.

If you want your independent country and all the razmataz to show it off then you're gonna pay through the nose for it, you didn't think the rest of the UK were gonna throw that in as a parting gift did you? :roll:

mi16
03-Jun-13, 19:35
How the hell does Chris Hoy KNOW that independence could harm Scottish sport?Surely a contradiction in terms there

secrets in symmetry
03-Jun-13, 23:20
The SNP's greatest political weapon is in the minds of its most gullible and evangelical converts.How can stupidity, selfishness, and concealed evil be the secessionists' greatest weapons lol?