PDA

View Full Version : chat rooms - a no go area?

katarina
02-Mar-05, 22:48
Why can I never get into a chat room? I regestered, chose a password, Now just chat it said. No. Nothing happened, so I tried to re-register. got the message - this email address is already in use.
I Try again later. I type in my username and password and get the message - this user name is already in use. OF COURSE its in use. It's in use by me!!!! Help!!!

Colin Manson
02-Mar-05, 22:51
Let me guess :roll: you use AOL?

If you do then it wont work, AOL doesn't work with the chat room, connect normally, minimise AOL browser and use a different browser to open the chat room.

Internet Explorer, Firefox..etc Anything but AOL.

Cheers
Colin

Moira
02-Mar-05, 23:36
Katarina

I've never been in Chat either - after seeing your post tonight I tried to register - & managed to do this successfully. There were 5 folk in there tonight - so follow Colin's instructions & I might see you in there sometime.

katarina
03-Mar-05, 11:13
I'm not very computer literaate -Colin. I'll try but I'm not sure I can do that.

lassieinfife
04-Mar-05, 11:32
OH so that why I cant get into rooms either I had same problem....thought I was being dumb blonde........though not blonde this week ! :roll: and yes I use aol.......thanx for the tip :lol:

katarina
04-Mar-05, 12:29
Katarina

I've never been in Chat either - after seeing your post tonight I tried to register - & managed to do this successfully. There were 5 folk in there tonight - so follow Colin's instructions & I might see you in there sometime.

How exactly do you do that? If I minimise AOL, where and how do I get another browser?
Excuse me for being dumb but not so blonde. And what is a URL?

Elenna
04-Mar-05, 17:12
Katarina

URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator, and it basically means a webpage's address...www.pagename.com or whatever.

Different browsers can be downloaded, though the time it will take, and your ultimate success, might vary according to your computer and connection speed, etc.

Internet Explorer 6 can be downloaded by going to:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.mspx

And Firefox can be gotten at:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Different people will argue the pros and cons of the different browsers...they all have some of both! I would just say have a good read of all the info before you decide which might suit you best.

So have a go and keep trying at things! I've only been using a computer for a couple of years, and when I began, my first big challenge was plugging it in and switching it on :) I've learned a lot since then and am still learning things all the time.

Elenna

katarina
04-Mar-05, 18:14
It sounds too much bother for an already overloaded computer. I'm very wary of downloading things since I made the whole system crash once by downloading spyware. Took me ages to get rid of. And I will probably hardly ever be in the chat room anyway. If the caithness.org chat room is the only thing I'm going to need it for, it's not worth it. What I'd like to know, is what spite has Caithness.org got against AOL?

fred
04-Mar-05, 19:53
It sounds too much bother for an already overloaded computer. I'm very wary of downloading things since I made the whole system crash once by downloading spyware. Took me ages to get rid of. And I will probably hardly ever be in the chat room anyway. If the caithness.org chat room is the only thing I'm going to need it for, it's not worth it. What I'd like to know, is what spite has Caithness.org got against AOL?

I don't think it's just caithness.org that doesn't like AOL.

You shouldn't need to download anything if you are using windows. Try clicking on
the start button at the bottom left hand side of your screen with the right mouse
button then click on "Explore All Users" or "Explore" or anything with the word
explore in it.

Type http://www.caithness.org in the Address box and press enter, you can get
rid of the frame at the right hand side of the screen by clicking on the cross in its
top right corner.

Can't guarantee it will work for you but it's worth a try.

George Brims
04-Mar-05, 20:38
It's not Caithness.org that has something against AOL, rather that AOL has its own funny way of doing things. The AOL browser is a heavily customised version of Internet Explorer. The clowns who do the customising have done it in such a way that it fails to work with a lot of web sites, not just CCWS. As a programmer myself I find the whole thing ridiculous. It reeks of "programmer vanity" - the attitude that if I thought up some way that something should work, then it should ONLY work that way, and that if anyone wants it to either act in a different way, or do something I didn't think of first, there must be something wrong with *them*. I have both worked for, and tried (not always successfully) to manage, people who thought like that. They are to blame for quite a lot of my grey hair.

katarina
05-Mar-05, 11:04
Thank you Fred, and to all those who can't get in - Fred's instructions worked!