PDA

View Full Version : AVG Free

Liz
22-Jan-07, 20:00
Has anyone managed to update this?

I have tried to and keep getting a message stating that some of the installation files are corrupt so I can't go ahead with the installation.

The free version I have runs out on the 18th February and I don't really want pay for this and I don't need another Firewall.

Hope someone can help?

paris
22-Jan-07, 20:04
Hi Liz, I have AGV and never had any problems with it , also ive had it for about 7 months and never had to pay either. Mines the free version in more ways than one LOL. jan x

Sapphire2803
22-Jan-07, 20:04
Which version are you trying to update? They've recently brought out a new version and are not supporting the older one anymore. The new version is 7.5.432... I'm assuming you're just trying to update the virus database...

paris
22-Jan-07, 20:06
Me again Liz, Ive just been on the site and downloaded files it said i needed with no problems . Jan x

Liz
22-Jan-07, 20:08
Which version are you trying to update? They've recently brought out a new version and are not supporting the older one anymore. The new version is 7.5.432... I'm assuming you're just trying to update the virus database...

It's the new version 7.5.432 which I am having trouble installing. I am trying to download it from a different website right now so hope it will work.

marlyn
22-Jan-07, 20:10
I had problems updating too, in the end I uninstalled avg 7.1 and started all over again with the new 7.5, seems to be working now, lots of teeth gnashing at the time though LOL

Sapphire2803
22-Jan-07, 20:14
From what I've heard there is a problem installing it without uninstalling the old one... so that's the best bet, get rid of the old first :) Although according to their site, you should click on repair instead of install and IIRC that's what I did.. hope this helps

Liz
22-Jan-07, 20:19
Thanks everyone!

I will uninstall the old version and give it a go again.:D

Liz
22-Jan-07, 20:43
Back again!

Well I uninstalled the old version and tried again but I am still getting a message saying that some of the installation files are corrupt!!!

Can you tell me how you downloaded the new version please?

Thanks!

Sapphire2803
22-Jan-07, 20:53
Have you tried clicking repair instead of install?

Tristan
22-Jan-07, 20:57
Better/good advice in the tech forum but here is the link to download the new version.

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-virus-free

golach
22-Jan-07, 20:59
http://avg.downloads-free.org/?gclid=CJqVrKmx9IkCFTwHQgodpmtlJw

Another to try

emb123
22-Jan-07, 21:10
Although I don't use it myself, I have recommended it before now as a good free anti-virus application. (There are many reasons to pick one package over another and such debates can go on long into the night :) ).

I have come across instances where people have problems with program updates for AVG.

Invariably the problems are due to an incomplete uninstall of the previous version, perhaps because some of the files were in use.

Getting the official 'take' on it from AVG, there is an 'if all else fails' set of instructions (although it struck me as having been written in a rather confusing way) - do note where it advises when to use safe mode and when not to.

Hope this helps....

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?2,28206,backpage=,sv=

IF ALL ELSE FAILS LETS GET RADICAL AND DO A COMPLETE NEW INSTALL STEP BY STEP
Posted by: Elaine (http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/profile.php?2,8966) - Moderator (IP Logged)
Date: March 18, 2005 12:18PM

Radical install Please note DO NOT USE
the previous AVG7Free Installation that you had this must be a new Installation file

1. Click the link to Download the Latest Version of AVG7FREE (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5) save to a folder on your C: drive
..............Dont forget where you put it...............

Now using Safe Mode That way only the basic stuff will load and you should find it easier to uninstall and install )

(warning ) Win98SE doesn't support USB in Safe Mode, USB mouse users will be prompted to plug in a serial mouse
With thanks to Seekeraftertruth for leting me know

Go here to see how to start your computer in Safe Mode (http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?4,27165,backpage=)

Follow these instructions to uninstall AVG and install the new version

2.Navigate to where you saved the AVG7Free Installation file that you just downloaded.

3. Click on the AVG7Free Installation file
...........At the welcome dialog box Click Next
...........Click to Accept the Licence
...........on the Acceptance notice, Click Accept
on the next dialog box AVG will Check the system status
Next you will see a dialog box with 3 options
...........Select Uninstall product and Click Next
...........When prompted, Select Remove user settings
...........Select Include objects in Virus Vault
...........Click Yes
...........Click Ok
...........Restart computer

4. ...Please Check to see if these exist,
A. ... Navigate to C:\Program Files\and highlight the folder named Grisoft and hit the delete key.

B. ...In Windows XP Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data and highlight the folder's named Grisoft, and AVG7 and hit the delete key you may find that there is only one folder and not two.

C. ...In Windows 95 -Windows ME Navigate to C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data or C:\Windows\Profiles\All Users\Application Data and highlight the folder's named Grisoft, and AVG7 and hit the delete key you may find that there is only one folder and not two.

5. Reboot your computer.into Normal Mode. this is to update the registry in the computer

6. Go to where you saved the AVG7Free Installation file that you downloaded and click to install.
.....At the Select Installation Type, Select Standard Installation

7. Click the Next button to continue with the installation process
....The installation process is finalized when you get to the Installation complete window. Click OK to complete the AVG Free Edition installation process.
when asked to reboot say yes

AVG Free Edition First Run

Follow the steps described in each of the wizard’s windows:

1. Welcome Screen

The welcome window briefly summarizes the current AVG Free Edition status on your computer, and suggests the steps to be taken to optimize the anti-virus protection.

Click the Next button to continue.

2. AVG Free Update

The AVG Free Update window will automatically check for and download the latest AVG Free update files if there are any. If you are not online at the moment, make sure to run the update as soon as possible.

3. Rescue Disk Skip making this you can do that later
Please Note that the Rescue Disks are only for Win95 to WinME

4. Computer Scan

The Computer Scan window will offer the Complete Test Launch; the Complete Test detects and treats all viruses found. Click the Scan Computer button to start the test.

5. Registration for Forum Skip this bit as you are already Registered for the forum

6. Click the Continue button and Reboot your computer. this is to update the registry in the computer

caithness lad
22-Jan-07, 21:10
Has anyone managed to update this?

I have tried to and keep getting a message stating that some of the installation files are corrupt so I can't go ahead with the installation.

The free version I have runs out on the 18th February and I don't really want pay for this and I don't need another Firewall.

Hope someone can help?i just had the same prob. if you type in avg for windows and follow the steps on the page,it should be sound it is like reinstallation also u will get all the new updates.:Razz hope this helps