PDA

View Full Version : What exercises please?

porshiepoo
22-Jan-07, 18:56
Right,
Me and a mate have been using our home gym equipment for a few weeks now and was wondering if there was anyone out there that could point us in the right direction as to what is a good workout?
We do this 3 times a week and have come to the conclusion that we could be completely wasting our time if we're doing the absolute wrong thing - we understand nothing more than the basic concepts of gym work.
At the moment we have an exercise bike, an air walker, a cross trainer (If thats what the one where you stand on and kind of look as though your jogging with the arm thingies moving), a total gym which will do most of the weight exercises, some light handweights and various DVDs for aerobics etc.
We tend to go from doing 30 mins on one cardio piece to 10 mins on one and 10 on another (depending on how we feel that day) and then doing various weights.
But this is by ne means set in stone as we have been known to completely overdo all the equipment in one sitting. :eek:
We're both of the opinion that we're not making the most of what we have available and it's kind of putting us off slightly and we just end up chin wagging. lol.

Any ideas????????? Please!

horse
22-Jan-07, 19:26
if your trying to loose weight and get fitter the exercise bike is good but it has to built up over time so that you are doing 40-60 minutes as this means you will have depleated your store of glycogen and will be training your body to burn your stores of fat. a heart rate monitor is a good tool for this as you calculate your max heart rate then workout in the zones for aerobic exercise. if you don't want to get that serious and buy a monitor a good rule of thumb is that whilst you exercise you should still be able to hold a conversation.

sorry about spelling

porshiepoo
22-Jan-07, 20:05
All the equipment have heart rate monitors on them but as much as we check ours out, it's just a number with a pretty heart symbol to us - means diddly. :roll:

We're flying blind here and have an awful feeling we're not really getting anywhere.

danc1ngwitch
22-Jan-07, 20:06
ok i was just goin to try a new thing myself. Pointed out by some one not from here, lol, ok if u have an exercise bike u do 15 sec hard pedlin and then 45 sec slow repeat untill u can take no more lol .. i tryin it cause its supposed to burn the fat from ur legs an butt

paris
22-Jan-07, 20:17
How many times have i told you eating choccie doesnt help !!!! And horse said something about stores of fat......WELL i know you have your fair share, a bit more than most lets say LOL sorry mate :lol: jan x missing you !!!!!!:~(

horse
22-Jan-07, 20:26
All the equipment have heart rate monitors on them but as much as we check ours out, it's just a number with a pretty heart symbol to us - means diddly. :roll:

We're flying blind here and have an awful feeling we're not really getting anywhere.

in the instructions that came with your equipment it should tell you how to work out your maximum heart rate and then you calculate what yor 4 zones of exercise would be. its a while since i did any training and cant remember exactly how to work this out but has to do with your age and whether you are male or female. ill have a look and get back if you dont have the information with the equipment.

horse
22-Jan-07, 20:30
ok i was just goin to try a new thing myself. Pointed out by some one not from here, lol, ok if u have an exercise bike u do 15 sec hard pedlin and then 45 sec slow repeat untill u can take no more lol .. i tryin it cause its supposed to burn the fat from ur legs an butt

this type of exercise is more for building and for toneing muscle (anerobic instead of aerobic)

porshiepoo
22-Jan-07, 20:31
How many times have i told you eating choccie doesnt help !!!! And horse said something about stores of fat......WELL i know you have your fair share, a bit more than most lets say LOL sorry mate :lol: jan x missing you !!!!!!:~(

Cheeky moo lol.
Yep, still have them stores of fat. Eek!

Missing you too mate.

danc1ngwitch
22-Jan-07, 20:35
this type of exercise is more for building and for toneing muscle (anerobic instead of aerobic)
would it tone my butt ? what parts would it tone? I need a bit o tonin

horse
22-Jan-07, 20:39
http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/hr.shtml

horse
22-Jan-07, 20:42
would it tone my butt ? what parts would it tone? I need a bit o tonin
made mine bigger but was very toned

canuck
22-Jan-07, 21:29

Porshiepoo there are tables for these things. You want to aim for a heart rate range that takes into account your age and your resting heart rate. If there were instruction booklets with the equipment, the tables should be in there. If not, there must be some appropriate website where you could find them.