PDA

View Full Version : Asthma in toddlers

brandy
02-Mar-05, 19:07
hiya guys just wondering does anyone have toddlers with asthma?
just found out today my lil boy has asthma .. they have given me liquid drops as hes not quite two yet.. but what helps and what tends to make it worse up here?
at teh moment its mostly at night.. when he coughs and coughs and coughs but have noticed today that he is sounding rattly when he breathes at times... would appreciate any feedback!!!

linzy222
02-Mar-05, 20:32
Hi sorry to hear about your little boy, it is not a nice thing asthma

My daughter has had it since she was 2yrs old and she is now 14, we have had a few scares and the recent 1 last week, she had a bad attack and she was nearly flown to edinburgh sick childrens hospital, she was the worst i have ever seen her and it was scary!!

Even the nurse said to me i didn't think she was going to make it last thursday night, but she is on the mend now thank god

My daughters is stress related and she is being bullied at school and at home which isn't nice at all

Right what can i tell u??

I think most kids with asthma cough etc during the night it is nothing to worry about unless they have a cold then i would keep an eye on him, as it might go on his chest and he will end up most likely with a chest infection

I don't really know what to tell u as i'm not a nurse, i am just a mum with a child with very bad asthma, and i don't want to get u worried as your son might not be affected with the same as my daughter

My daughter sits up during the night if she is coughing well i mean uses loads of pillows so she is upright and that seems to help,

Have u seen an asthma nurse yet??...............My daughter sees 1 every week or 2, i think u should ask her all about asthma, they r very helpful and like i said i don't want to scare u coz all kids r different!!

Good Luck

and all the best

Linzy

brandy
02-Mar-05, 22:01
took both boys to the dr today as they have been out for the count.. the baby just has a viral infection.. the mess that everyone has.. but sam has been coughing for a couple months now.. well off and on for a few.. but thought it was just a cold.. as it was sporadic.. at christmas he had a bad cough and dr thought it was just a chest infection.. as he was a bit rattly in his chest.. but it has carried on .. and comes and goes with the changes of the weather.. he had exzma really really bad when he was a baby.. couldnt even bath him in baby bath.. could only use oilatiumn and aequious cream on him.. and they said that .. he may develope asthma as a child but was not expecting it really and not this soon! he wont even be two until april.. poor little things .. sounds like he has a smokers cough! i hate to see him like this.. the dr just told me to give him the medicine at bedtime.. and give it to him till the cough goes away didnt say anything about coming back or seeing the nurses! but i think i may call and ask to speak to one of the nurses and call the health visitor as well .. and see what they think! thank you for that advise!!
just kinda lost right now.. hes my baby.. and its scary.. i cant stand the thought of him
not being able to breath..

kas
02-Mar-05, 22:32
Asthma can come in so many different forms, that what helps one child won't help your little boy.

My son was about the same age as yours when he was diagnosed with asthma (3 wks before his 2nd birthday). He is lucky he does not take sudden attacks, but starts with the cough at night then gets chesty, which allows plenty time to get him to the doctor.

He currently has 3 inhailers an tablets, this combination stops him from coughing at night. But this took years to find this combination and alot of testing different inhailers. When he was first diagnosed he was given a volumatic ( a spacer device between his mouth and the inhailer) , the brown and blue inhailer. He was never given drops.

His asthma is affected by illness and the frosty weather. Chances are your son will be different and only time will tell what affects him. The asthma clinic nurse has been fantastic and my boy goes regulary for check ups, so I would strongly recommend you ask about it, asthna is very common in young children now, and for alot of them when it is controlled it doesn't interfere with their life too much.

Hope your son is not too ill and when you get your head round it , it becomes alot easier to cope with. The one thing I will say is if you are ever worried do not be afraid to get help always better being safe . Take care

Fran
03-Mar-05, 03:34
There will be a talk by the Boots pharmacist david Donn on asthma and asthma medicines and he will also answer questions. It is being held in Caithness General Hospital on the evening of the 9th but I am not sure if this is the correct date but i will find out. there is also an asthma society in wick and many asthma patients, quite a few are children. i hope this will be of help to you with your children. If not, why not start a toddlers asthma group for toddlers yourselves. the asthma society and local medics and the voluntary group would be of great help to you. Good luck.

caisha
03-Mar-05, 10:32
what works for one will not work for another. You need to find out what he is allergic to and try and eliminate these things from the environment.

I was diagnosed with asthma when I was a few months old and my main allergy is to house dust mite which is obviously very difficult to erase from the surroundings! I am now 30 and being treated for my allergies which is allowing me to reduce my inhaler intake.

Hopefully, if you can find out what triggers him then you can control the situation.

Zael
03-Mar-05, 10:50
As an athsma sufferer, my best advice is to make sure you child remains calm as getting upset by it makes it worse. Also, encourage breathing through the nose as much as possible, its a natural filter and helps keep the lungs moist by not exhaling all the carbon dioxide which helps prevent the smooth muscle in the lungs from spasming. keep a jar of vicks in the house for the times when they have a blocked nose.